Premed 101 Forums

Nursing Program

Mars_Bound

Hi,

I am currently stuck in a situation where I have no choice but to work a full time job 9-5 mon to Friday. I would like to get into nursing but so far everywhere I have looked, Algonquin, Ottawa U, Cegep have all said that I cannot get into nursing while holding down a full time Job.

Does anyone know of any nursing programs and where I can take these whilest still being able to work full time. My shift is from 8 am to 4:30pm.

I would even be ok with doing the LPN program and then whilst working an an LPN do the RPN program as I hear the hospitals encourage this and would promote it and even fund it in some cases.

Can any advise.

Thanks.

Hi,

I am currently stuck in a situation where I have no choice but to work a full time job 9-5 mon to Friday. I would like to get into nursing but so far everywhere I have looked, Algonquin, Ottawa U, Cegep have all said that I cannot get into nursing while holding down a full time Job.

Does anyone know of any nursing programs and where I can take these whilest still being able to work full time. My shift is from 8 am to 4:30pm.

I would even be ok with doing the LPN program and then whilst working an an LPN do the RPN program as I hear the hospitals encourage this and would promote it and even fund it in some cases.

Can any advise.

Thanks.

What do you mean you can't get in with a fulltime job? I'll assume you mean your work hours will conflict with school? If that's the case you don't really have a choice other than to work nights and go to school in the day. As far as I'm aware there are no online BscN/BSN classes anywhere in Canada. The only thing I can think of is Athabasca LPN-RN program which is online but you need to be an LPN already. You need to reconsider your current schedule and find another job that is more accommodating for school.

If you want to go to nursing school you will need to change your hours or your job. Besides classes, you have to attend clinical days in the hospital (or other places at times) which at my school varied between day and evening shifts. Your best bet is to find a job where you can work casual hours (ie. they call you when they need you) so that you can pick and choose your shifts. I did a small amount of graveyard shifts in nursing school (1-2 shifts/week) and the lack of sleep drove me to the edge. I definitely don't think its realistic to expect to work full time hours (either days or nights) while attending nursing school. Even if by some miracle you made your schedule work between classes and clinical, you still need to consider homework, projects, general study time etc...

• 1 month later...

I knew this friend of mine who had a similar problem. He wanted to complete his nursing course while he was working. He applied for admission to a course in American Medical Academy, where they allowed him to study the course online as per his convenience. He had to just spend a few hours over the Internet everyday. This way he completed the desired course in the specific time period and he did not have to leave the job for it. You can also apply for such online courses at good and reputed institutes. All the best!

Archived