Premed 101 Forums

Oxford sminars

Guest Shakespearean Fool

Guest Shakespearean Fool

Has anyone taken the oxford seminars? if so how does it compare to kaplan/princeton, or what were your opinions of it? your reminiscences would be appreciated.

sincerely,

shakespearean Fool

• 4 months later...

I did an Oxford seminar a few weeks ago. I originally registered for the 48-hour course, but I ended up downgrading to the 30-hour one so that I could get at least some of my money back. Basically, the materials that they provide you with are official AAMC tests - which you can purchase yourself on the website. The instructor was a medical student, and he was VERY nice, but the format of the course...it just wasn't anything that I couldn't have done on my own. You cover everything really briefly, and there is not enough practice and explanation of solutions. The VR section tips were quite helpful, as was the WS practice, but it wasn't worth what I paid for it. The instructor was able to tell us about his own experience writing the MCAT and applying to med school, which was very helpful. If you do decide to take it, I would recommend taking only the 30-hour.

I purchased the "Gold Standard MCAT" by Brett Ferdinand, MD. It gives a good overview of all of the topics that you need to be familiar with, and there are three practice exams which are quite similar to the AAMC practice tests that I have. I was a little disappointed to read that Dr. Ferdinand, who conducts seminars as well, has recently been found to be "incompetent" by the College of Physicians and Surgeons, but that doesn't change the fact that he got into McGill and (I assume) did well on the MCAT.

Archived