Premed 101 Forums

Question: HELP!!

laladeedee

Hello,

I am in a dilemma right now b/c I'm going into my last year of nursing and I have decided to cross med school off my list of goals because it is just not happening!! Thus, I am willing to start at the very bottom of the nursing field and work my way up to the top. I am wondering HOW HARD IS IT TO GET A JOB AS A NEW GRAD RN!?!?!?!? :eek: I am really nervous because I've been browsing allnurses.com and it seems that its very difficult to get a job unless you have some connections. I have no connections. Also, I have heard of the "Nursing New Grad Initiative" provided by the Govt of Ontario. Anyone use this before?? Does it really help??

Thanks in advance

Depend where you look and how picky you are. There are jobs somewhere, but nowhere in the GTA and major Ontario cities. Many still in rural areas. I havent heard of much success with the NGI because either hospitals don't want to hire period or they only hire you for the 6 month and then force you into casual or quitting.

Don't be so dispaired by AN, they seem to blow a lot of things up like the news. There are jobs, they just aren't comfortable and they require sacrifices. If you aren't willing to sacrifice relocation or hold two part-times, then you will be in trouble. I would personally look at relocating to areas and provinces in need if you're able to. It's only for two years and very temporary. The job market could pick itself up before then too, you never know.

Are you sure you don't have any connections? Didn't you do clinical placements? You must have made some connections in your placements. You should ask people you met in those settings. Also, I see LOTS of postings on UHN, Mt. Sinai, Sick Kids, other downtown hospitals for RNs. I would say don't panic, and start applying!

There are lots of job postings, but they usually require a lot of experience or very specific experience that very few people, especially new grads, won't qualify for. My personal belief is that they really intend to hire internally and just post publicly for legal purposes.

Pink Tulip's assessment sounds pretty accurate. Your best prospects will be outside of the metropolis. You will also likely need to work more than one job to pull in an adequate income. But you shouldn't despair. Definitely keep in touch with people you meet along the way as you never know what opportunities will open up for you.

And remember as long as you are doing what younlove, there will be a way.

Are you sure you don't have any connections? Didn't you do clinical placements? You must have made some connections in your placements. You should ask people you met in those settings. Also, I see LOTS of postings on UHN, Mt. Sinai, Sick Kids, other downtown hospitals for RNs. I would say don't panic, and start applying!

I don't live in Toronto, I live in a small city, and I've had clinical placements but I've never really talked to the managers of the units before.. and my instructors usually don't work there either. But, I am entering my preceptorship this September and I'm determined to make a good impression and let them know I'm interested in working at the unit!

There are lots of job postings, but they usually require a lot of experience or very specific experience that very few people, especially new grads, won't qualify for. My personal belief is that they really intend to hire internally and just post publicly for legal purposes.

Pink Tulip's assessment sounds pretty accurate. Your best prospects will be outside of the metropolis. You will also likely need to work more than one job to pull in an adequate income. But you shouldn't despair. Definitely keep in touch with people you meet along the way as you never know what opportunities will open up for you.

And remember as long as you are doing what younlove, there will be a way.

Wow! It's strange because people keep telling me that nurses are in demand lol Like everyone I meet goes "wow you're in nursing? That's awesome b/c they're in demand now !" and I go ... :confused:

Depend where you look and how picky you are. There are jobs somewhere, but nowhere in the GTA and major Ontario cities. Many still in rural areas. I havent heard of much success with the NGI because either hospitals don't want to hire period or they only hire you for the 6 month and then force you into casual or quitting.

Don't be so dispaired by AN, they seem to blow a lot of things up like the news. There are jobs, they just aren't comfortable and they require sacrifices. If you aren't willing to sacrifice relocation or hold two part-times, then you will be in trouble. I would personally look at relocating to areas and provinces in need if you're able to. It's only for two years and very temporary. The job market could pick itself up before then too, you never know.

I actually don't mind 6 months of employment b/c I want to apply to grad studies after! But before I do apply I want some basic RN experience so I have a foundation to build upon. But deff, I don't mind relocating, I mean if it must be done, then it must be done. But how hard do you think it would be getting something without many connections?

I don't think it will be particularly hard to get SOMETHING. I think LTC centre jobs are relatively easy to get, but they are very difficult jobs to do. Hospital positions, especially in popular areas like ICU, emergency, OR, and obstetrics may be more challenging due to competition and hiring freezes in hospitals.

When I started at Mt. Sinai Hospital last October in research, there were a whole bunch of new RN grads who were starting full-time work, especially in emergency. There are always posting for NICU nurses at MSH as well.

Seems like every field (exception of really novel STEM fields, ie computer science) are saturating. Want a tenure position in a university? Better be willing to move to Weber State university, or whatever random position willing to hire.

I don't think traditional nursing jobs in hospitals will be as in demand as the past. But I can see that clinic nurses will be needed in the future. I can also see how health care technicians will become in demand (for example, genetic screener, radiology technicians, etc..)

Bottom line is if your willing to be mobile, you'll eventually fill a gap in the job market for nurses. Patience will probably your best friend in the journey.

Archived