Premed 101 Forums

Loans if you are married but in a different city

Hi guys

I am going to be starting med school at McGill but my spouse will be in Ontario for work so we will have 2 rents to pay and 2 expenses for everything. But from what I understand, they only ask if you are married and what the person's income is. They don't care that we actually have twice the expense and debt, and thus I probably won't qualify for a student loan from quebec. Has any married students in different provinces managed to get a student loan? if so, I would love any advise on this, thanks!

Hi guys

I am going to be starting med school at McGill but my spouse will be in Ontario for work so we will have 2 rents to pay and 2 expenses for everything. But from what I understand, they only ask if you are married and what the person's income is. They don't care that we actually have twice the expense and debt, and thus I probably won't qualify for a student loan from quebec. Has any married students in different provinces managed to get a student loan? if so, I would love any advise on this, thanks!

I'm not in Quebec, and not in medical school, but when I went back to school to start my second undergraduate degree, I was in Ontario for a year and my husband was still living in Alberta (until his new position in Ontario started). OSAP didn't care one bit that we had two separate addresses and had to pay two rents, etc. They refused to give me any money, due to my husband's salary. They didn't care about any of our debt, or expenses, just his salary. :( Hopefully you will have better luck in Quebec.

I'm not in Quebec, and not in medical school, but when I went back to school to start my second undergraduate degree, I was in Ontario for a year and my husband was still living in Alberta (until his new position in Ontario started). OSAP didn't care one bit that we had two separate addresses and had to pay two rents, etc. They refused to give me any money, due to my husband's salary. They didn't care about any of our debt, or expenses, just his salary. :( Hopefully you will have better luck in Quebec.

Yeah that is one of the more annoying aspects of the system - OSAP is basically lumped into other forms of social assistance philosophically and strange results can sometimes occur. I suspect they will ignore the issues although you can attempt an appeal.

Yea that's what I was afraid of. I can understand if say we would get less or if they actually had a table where we can say have our spouse's income minus our added expenses and then calc based on how much loan we would need. But all they ask if the total income of the spouse, they don't even have a spot where we can fill in that we have extra expenses so I doubt quebec is any different :mad:

Archived