Premed 101 Forums

Master Cardiology vs Cardiology III

If you own either one of these stethoscopes, could you kindly give reasons why you love/hate them?

I'm leaning towards the Master Cardio (price difference is negligible).

Would not having a smaller side be inconvenient? How often would you have to use the smaller side? (besides the 3month Paeds rotation, in which case I can attach the Special-Procedures adapter).

If you own either one of these stethoscopes, could you kindly give reasons why you love/hate them?

I'm leaning towards the Master Cardio (price difference is negligible).

Would not having a smaller side be inconvenient? How often would you have to use the smaller side? (besides the 3month Paeds rotation, in which case I can attach the Special-Procedures adapter).

I got a card III as a gift a few weeks ago, but I think I still might buy an all black Master Cardio just because of how awesome it looks

The Cardio III is better as a med student because the small side is nice for Peds. Plus you can convert it to a bell, which, imo, is much better than trying to use that tune-able diaphragm that they have (it's hard to use it as a bell).

The difference between the master and the III for a med student is negligible from a diagnostic point of view.

I would hold off on the master until I was in an IM residency or cardio fellowship.

I got a card III as a gift a few weeks ago, but I think I still might buy an all black Master Cardio just because of how awesome it looks

Please, don't. With the money get yourself a pair of allen edmonds for your days at the clinic (I beg you not to show up in one of those square toes monstrosities).

I asked this question on my school's FB page and they said about 1/4 to 1/3 of the class has the Master Card and the others have the Card III and they said it doesn't really matter. I bought the Master Card because the price difference wasn't huge. Hopefully I won't regret it!

All of the senior medical students & residents that I have spoken to said the same thing as NLengr - Cardio III will be more convenient and user-friendly, especially for medical students.

Personally, I will be getting the Cardiology III because I do not want to be "that kid" with the expensive stethoscope :D

All of the senior medical students & residents that I have spoken to said the same thing as NLengr - Cardio III will be more convenient and user-friendly, especially for medical students.

Personally, I will be getting the Cardiology III because I do not want to be "that kid" with the expensive stethoscope :D

Haha, I was worried about that too, but a current UT student said that approx 25-33% of students have the master, so it's not like you will stick out. Now those electronic ones are a different story, lol.

Haha, I was worried about that too, but a current UT student said that approx 25-33% of students have the master, so it's not like you will stick out. Now those electronic ones are a different story, lol.

Hows the stethoscope ceremony work at UT? I thought they give you guys stethoscopes...do u give them urs for them to give back to u lol?

What are the opinions out there on Littmann Classic II S.E .for med students? I have one currently and am wondering if I should try to get rid of it now and get one of the other two stethoscopes mentioned in this thread.

Thanks

Usually schools ask for a scope that's at least comparable to cardio 3 because it's used to ''diagnose''... But in my opinion, you'll be more than fine with a classic 2. If later on you go into cardz then you'll change your stethophone. I use an olympus BX41 and I love it, much better than cardio 3, master cardio, grandmaster cardio or wtv.

Archived