Premed 101 Forums

Commerce students in Nursing

crazynurse

Hi,

I have completed my CGA designation in 2012 and currently working as an Auditor in the Govt. Recently I decided to change my career and explore nursing as a profession.

Are there any nurses here who have a commerce degree. Please advice how you guys did your pre-req courses. I have registered for BIO 235 from Athabasca and planning to start others next month.

I would greatly appreciate help and suggestions.

Thanks

Hi,

I have completed my CGA designation in 2012 and currently working as an Auditor in the Govt. Recently I decided to change my career and explore nursing as a profession.

Are there any nurses here who have a commerce degree. Please advice how you guys did your pre-req courses. I have registered for BIO 235 from Athabasca and planning to start others next month.

I would greatly appreciate help and suggestions.

Thanks

Okay, first thing I have to ask is why nursing? You do realize that the profession you're coming from is a polar opposite, right? What school are you applying to? Also, I wouldn't take a course from Athabasca unless you don't have time to sit in a classroom as I've heard all of their courses are longer/harder than they should be in a regular classroom setting, then again that's hearsay.

Okay, first thing I have to ask is why nursing? You do realize that the profession you're coming from is a polar opposite, right? What school are you applying to? Also, I wouldn't take a course from Athabasca unless you don't have time to sit in a classroom as I've heard all of their courses are longer/harder than they should be in a regular classroom setting, then again that's hearsay.

Thanks for your response. In high school I took advance science courses and always wanted to join the health profession as a front line worker. Due to circumstances I ended up as an Auditor. Even though as per the world standards I am very successful at a very young age, I still have the desire to go back and become a health professional. Nursing has always been a profession I respected and look upon highly.

As for Athabasca, I have already enrolled in their courses and even though its tough to do it, I am trying to manage it with work and hope to complete all my pre-req's before the 2014 admission deadline.

The best thing to do would be to take your prereqs distance/online while also working. Again, it depends on what school you're applying to, for example the University of Manitoba admits students after a year of prereqs while the University of Alberta admits straight out of high school. Before you apply I would get anatomy, physiology, stats and microbiology out of the way that'll make your course load much easier and you won't be stressed out as much. I did that and found myself much happier than the rest of my classmates who were juggling a full load + clinicals. If you have any questions feel free to ask nursing is an awesome and rewarding profession.

The best thing to do would be to take your prereqs distance/online while also working. Again, it depends on what school you're applying to, for example the University of Manitoba admits students after a year of prereqs while the University of Alberta admits straight out of high school. Before you apply I would get anatomy, physiology, stats and microbiology out of the way that'll make your course load much easier and you won't be stressed out as much. I did that and found myself much happier than the rest of my classmates who were juggling a full load + clinicals. If you have any questions feel free to ask nursing is an awesome and rewarding profession.

Thanks hexonu for your response. I am currently taking Anatomy and Physiology, english literature, Psychology and Intro to Statistics from Athabasca. U of T and York have more stringent pre-req requirements like Nutrition, Philosophy and Microbiology.

Also I am planning to apply for 2 year accelerated nursing program at Western and Queens with other choices being U of T and York. My GPA from previous undergrad is 3.00. Do you think I stand a good chance of entering the nursing program.

As a backup I am thinking of doing Masters in Public health as at the moment my job is with the provincial health authority in Alberta. Also do the Ontario uni's discriminate applicants who have out of province addresses.

The accelerated programs usually have a competitive GPA around 3.3(min)-3.6. I'm from Alberta and I know the UofA After Degree Program is around 3.4 to get into but changes every year (usually goes up) so I would apply anyways it doesn't hurt maybe the GPA will be lower this year. Also nursing schools don't (usually) care if you're out of province. I would apply to Queens, UofA, UofC, Western and UofL. I think with a 3.00 UofT would be really tough to get into. If you've exhausted those options a 4 year degree would be your other choice.

The accelerated programs usually have a competitive GPA around 3.3(min)-3.6. I'm from Alberta and I know the UofA After Degree Program is around 3.4 to get into but changes every year (usually goes up) so I would apply anyways it doesn't hurt maybe the GPA will be lower this year. Also nursing schools don't (usually) care if you're out of province. I would apply to Queens, UofA, UofC, Western and UofL. I think with a 3.00 UofT would be really tough to get into. If you've exhausted those options a 4 year degree would be your other choice.

Thanks. I am also from Alberta and planning to apply to UofA and UofC. I am working really hard to get good grades in the pre-req courses I am doing although they just started. I hope uni considers those too. As my degree is international I am still waiting for equivalency but my guess is GPA wont be more than 3.00 might be a bit less.

Do you think if it comes to be less than 3.00, I will surely not get into accelerated program at any uni?

3 Things:

1. I was accepted to UofT's accelerated nursing program. I had an undergrad from UofT with 3.02, but I also had a Master's degree (UofT) and health care volunteer experience.

2. I took BIOL235 from Athabasca, and found it WAY easier than ANY course I EVER took at UofT. As long as you know everything on the study guide, you should do well. I got an A+.

3. As far as I know, UofT does not require Nutrition, Philosophy or Microbiology. Take a look again at the prereqs again.

3 Things:

1. I was accepted to UofT's accelerated nursing program. I had an undergrad from UofT with 3.02, but I also had a Master's degree (UofT) and health care volunteer experience.

2. I took BIOL235 from Athabasca, and found it WAY easier than ANY course I EVER took at UofT. As long as you know everything on the study guide, you should do well. I got an A+.

3. As far as I know, UofT does not require Nutrition, Philosophy or Microbiology. Take a look again at the prereqs again.

Thanks kpm for your response. Microbiology is requirement at York and Nutrition I think either at UofA or UofSask. I have to keep some options so that's why doing additional pre-req.

How did you like their program at UofT and what kind of health care volunteering experience you had?

3 Things:

A 3.02 seems very low for UofT a friend who applied there 2 years ago got rejected with a 3.6. You must have either applied there along time ago before the nursing school craze or your masters must have gave you a huge boost. Am I right?

A 3.02 seems very low for UofT a friend who applied there 2 years ago got rejected with a 3.6. You must have either applied there along time ago before the nursing school craze or your masters must have gave you a huge boost. Am I right?

I'm starting in September. I guess it was a combination of my Master's, my references, my experience, my responses on the application. Not sure... The application is pretty comprehensive, more so than some PA and med school applications, so I was really able to showcase what I have to offer.

To the OP, my healthcare experience included 3 years volunteering in a fam med clinic and 2 years volunteering for the Sickle Cell Association of Ontario. I also had a variety of other things to add to my app, such as camp counsellor, swimming instructor, bilingual in French, piano, etc. Maybe they like well-roundedness?? Who knows!

Archived