Premed 101 Forums

Best Internal Medicine Programs in the country?

Reviving this thread! Wondering if anyone has more firsthand info to share about Canadian IM programs. Curious specifically about the supportiveness of the programs and if there are any that should be avoided if possible due to more "malignant" training environments. I felt during the tour that the programs seemed to spin everything in a positive way (which I guess is to be expected when trying to sell a program) and not many were super forthcoming about potential weaknesses or past issues with the program. All residents seemed pleasant and relatively happy on the surface. Either I can't go wrong or maybe I just didn't ask the right questions?? 

Reviving this thread! Wondering if anyone has more firsthand info to share about Canadian IM programs. Curious specifically about the supportiveness of the programs and if there are any that should be avoided if possible due to more "malignant" training environments. I felt during the tour that the programs seemed to spin everything in a positive way (which I guess is to be expected when trying to sell a program) and not many were super forthcoming about potential weaknesses or past issues with the program. All residents seemed pleasant and relatively happy on the surface. Either I can't go wrong or maybe I just didn't ask the right questions?? 

Can't go wrong with any program in the end especially for core-internal medicine, everyone has their preferences when it comes to what they want in a program (smaller program vs high volume vs quality of teaching vs research and education opportunities etc...). I would mainly base it off of:

- where you want to live for the next few years

- where you think you want to go for your subspecialty training (if thats what you want), as it is easier to match to your home program.

• 3 weeks later...

Can't go wrong with any program in the end especially for core-internal medicine, everyone has their preferences when it comes to what they want in a program (smaller program vs high volume vs quality of teaching vs research and education opportunities etc...). I would mainly base it off of:

- where you want to live for the next few years

- where you think you want to go for your subspecialty training (if thats what you want), as it is easier to match to your home program.

Agreed.

Core training will be good wherever you go. Find subspecialty of interest and look at which program is the best in that subspecialty (e.g. Cardio Ottawa, Resp Calgary, GI Mac etc -- I am just making these up for examples) and also if you want more clinical vs more research-heavy with research-heavy being obvious centers (UofT, Mac etc).

• 2 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...