Premed 101 Forums

U of M PA GPA Calculation & Other

Hi,

1- I have asked the admission office but I couldn't get a clear answer..

When determing the most recent credits, do they take into account the current year courses assuming that I will be applying for the September 2014 intake?

Also, what is the policy on 6 credit courses? I have taken 30 credits in one year, 2 courses are 6 full credits. It says they pick the best from the session.. For my case, the GPA calculation needs to pick 15 from that year.. Not sure how this will be done.

2- Any stats on number of applicants and spots available? Minimum, Average GPA?

3- What factors help in getting accepted? EC? Work? just GPA?

Thank you.

Where are you reading that they take the best session? My understanding was they based your GPA off of the last 60 credit hours, regardless of how many each semester. They can't factor in this year's grades because they are not assigned yet... I believe they use current year marks to confirm your GPA meets the minimum requirements if you are accepted.

I didn't mean they take the best session. I meant that If you need certain number of credits within a session (to make up the most recent 60 credits), they take the best ones. I am just confused on how they deal with 6 credit courses. Thanks.

Oh! They are handled like two 3 credit hour courses so far as I know. Not sure what they would do if they needed 3 hours to finish the 60 credit hours but the next one on your transcript was a 6 credit hour course. Maybe pretend it was worth 3 credit hours? I wouldn't worry about it. The GPA to get into this program seems to be fairly competitive (>4.0), but they do not publish statistics. All my classmates for 2013 intake seem like well-rounded, extremely bright individuals, and also a very diverse group. I hear there were over 120 applications for 12 spots. Feel free to pm me with other questions.

Hey there,

I'm a PA student at UofM right now. Just finishing up first year come Friday. pahopeful is right regarding applicants and spots. However, I do know people who have gotten into the program with below a 4.0 (above the min 3.0 obv). So don't let GPA scare you away! What matters to admissions boards is a mix of marks, extracirriculars and the TYPE of person you are-you're personality. After all, it's medicine and you're in a people business-beside manner matters and personality will take you a long way not only in your practise, but during your rotations as well!

• 1 year later...

Oh! They are handled like two 3 credit hour courses so far as I know. Not sure what they would do if they needed 3 hours to finish the 60 credit hours but the next one on your transcript was a 6 credit hour course. Maybe pretend it was worth 3 credit hours? I wouldn't worry about it. The GPA to get into this program seems to be fairly competitive (>4.0), but they do not publish statistics. All my classmates for 2013 intake seem like well-rounded, extremely bright individuals, and also a very diverse group. I hear there were over 120 applications for 12 spots. Feel free to pm me with other questions.

Hey pahopeful,

Just a quick question

I have a 4.2/4.5 gpa and have volunteered a bit- senior home, blood bank, hospital, and alzhiemers society. What else do you think I can do to improve my applicatio? Thanks :)

Archived