Premed 101 Forums

Organization of OMSAS ABS

People seem to be discussing this. I keep organizing, then reorganizing my OMSAS app. So, I'd appreciate some feedback from others who have gone through the OMSAS app experience.

Certain areas of my ABS have multiple items that fit in a category. I don't know if I should mention each individually or put them into an "overarching" category with multiple things in each.

For example, I have 20-30 industry-standard awards in advertising. Some are "major" and others are probably not so major, but still significant.

I also have played in multiple orchestras, traveled nationally and internationally for music and play multiple instruments.

As an aside, I'm a mature applicant and would like to use my experiences as a mature applicant to my advantage.

My options, as I see it, would be:

(1) Include each individual award or orchestra experience individually. Pro - plays to experience, con - may be seen as padding (although I don't think it is).

(2) Create a category called "professional awards", another for "academic awards", and one for "music (or something" and put all items from each category inside. Pros - lots of content in each section, cons - inability to expand on many major items in each section.

(3) Do a hybrid. Create a category for "miscellaneous professional awards" for less major awards and then also put major industry awards individually.

I'm curious about people's thoughts on my situation. I'd appreciate it.

I'd go with #3. Pick 3-5 of the most relevant awards and talk about them individually. Then group the remaining 25 together in one entry. I think Savac is right. While its great you have so many awards/performances, if 30 of the 48 spots are devoted to them I think you're overdoing it.

Archived