Premed 101 Forums

When applying in 4th year, are 4th year marks considered?

Guest carpediem

Guest carpediem

hey guys! i'm a little not sure about the 4th year marks and the GPAs...so here are my questions!

if you apply after 3rd year, do most universities (ontario universities in particular) use the 4th year marks as well?

for example, queen's look at the GPA of the most recent 2years...so does the GPA include 3rd and 4th years or...2nd and 3rd years??

by the way, does anyone know which years of undergrad ottawa, toronto, western and mcmaster use as part of their GPA calculations? (maybe this sounds like too much to ask, but i really need to figure this out!!!)

thanks!! :D

Guest Jochi1543

I just went through every school's website this afternoon and they all have their GPA policies outlined in their admission sections. If I remember correctly, McMaster looks at all your grades and doesn't apply any weighting formulas, Toronto applies a weighting formula which allows you to drop several of your worst credits depending on how many full-time years you were in school, etc. Ottawa, I believe, uses a weighting formula where they look at your last 3 years, but the more recent the year, the more attention the grades from that year are given - in a nutshell, the grades from your junior year would be 3x more important than from your freshman year. Western, I believe, looks at either your last two years or your best two years, whichever works with their cut-off.

If you apply after 3rd year, you will only have 3 full years completed, so they'll be looking at them. However, if you flunk out in your 4th year, this is going to work against you - to my knowledge, every school has some sort of policy which sets an expectation regarding your final GPA should you be issued an admission offer, and some are pretty strict - I know one requires you to finish with a 3.7 or more in your last year or the admission offer will be revoked.

Guest crimson

What about the U of A then?

I know they have a policy of not including your lowest year of marks (provided it's not the most recent) if you complete 4 or more years of school... so what if you're applying and you're currently IN your 4th year?

Thanks

Archived