Premed 101 Forums

Textbook recommendations

What textbooks do you guys recommend for anatomy, pathology and medicine?

I'm looking for a text with enough detail but one that doesn't quite go overboard.

For instance, the school has Pathology made ridiculously simple and clinical pathophysiology made ridiculously simple on the book list but I don't know if it would be an effective tool for preparing for an exam or if it would be more background knowledge and I'd need a further text to read to be prepared so any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Sapphire, don't worry about it right now. When you get into class they will tell you what to buy. You really won't need to worry about having extra material--you probably won't have time to read it anyways! . Just enjoy what's left of your summer!

ProvenGuilty, if you're going into first year this fall that would make you class of 2017.

Sapphire, don't worry about it right now. When you get into class they will tell you what to buy. You really won't need to worry about having extra material--you probably won't have time to read it anyways! . Just enjoy what's left of your summer!

ProvenGuilty, if you're going into first year this fall that would make you class of 2017.

Not at Mac.

Anatomy : Netter is good and it covers everything but its an atlas (just plain pictures with the name of the structures). For descriptive anatomy you can buy Moore's medical anatomy. If you have prosection or dissection classes then I would recommend Rohen's color atlas.

Pathology : Robbin's pathologic basis of disease

Medicine : Harrison's principles or Cecil's medicine

I really second Moore's - Moore's got me through the musculoskeletal block. I don't even know what I would have done without it. For me it was actually the most essential textbook I have bought. I didn't use Rohen's much, except right before the bellringer.

Thank you. Starting at Calgary this year and people seem to be varying between buying stacks of books to not buying anything at all.

I went to U of C. I generally found that by the time I read through all the notes and whatnot, I didn't have much time to read books. An anatomy book, an EKG book and TNotes will likely be useful, and things like Case Files are good for rotations. The HSC library has a lot of med textbooks too. And, if you're willing to wait till April, prepare to be inundated with cheap books-for-sale e-mails.

Thank you for your input everyone. :) Definitely going to need an anatomy book.

I went to U of C. I generally found that by the time I read through all the notes and whatnot, I didn't have much time to read books. An anatomy book, an EKG book and TNotes will likely be useful, and things like Case Files are good for rotations. The HSC library has a lot of med textbooks too. And, if you're willing to wait till April, prepare to be inundated with cheap books-for-sale e-mails.

Thanks. Just on that note, since you went to u of c, about how many hours would people/you often study after classes?

Archived