Premed 101 Forums

FAQ: Northern Ontario Status and Context Score

On 11/7/2016 at 0:53 PM, rural_roots said:

How many years total have you spent in Northern Ontario according to your omsas application under supplementary info for NOSM?  I imagine that is one of the most important factors when calculating context score.

I've spent four years in NWO

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi! 

I live in Quebec and I lived up until 11 y/o in a rural city (less than 5000 people). I don't see where I write my "rural history". In the OMSAS it's only adolescent years. I guess my context score will be super low... Should I even apply? Anyone from Montreal (or bigger city) applied? Thanks!

On 2017-08-05 at 5:10 AM, mitmtl said:

so does living in a big city like montreal, toronto, ottawa, vancouver, etc... automatically gives a zero to your context score?

I don't think we know for sure whether it would give you a 0 as we don't know how context is scored, but as per the yearly class statistics, most (if not all) accepted applicants are either from northern Ontario, or another rural community. 

3 hours ago, 20206111 said:

Hi! 

I live in Quebec and I lived up until 11 y/o in a rural city (less than 5000 people). I don't see where I write my "rural history". In the OMSAS it's only adolescent years. I guess my context score will be super low... Should I even apply? Anyone from Montreal (or bigger city) applied? Thanks!

I believe there's a section under the NOSM-specific portion of the application (where the NOSM essays are) that asks you to list all the locations you've lived in. :)

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A RIO of 77 is pretty rural. If it gives you any idea, I recall a person who has lived in Sudbury their entire lives being described during a recent NOSM open house as likely having a context score somewhere in the middle of the range. So it isn't just northern-ness that's valued, of course.

I'd also direct you to NOSM's class profiles page: https://www.nosm.ca/education/md-program/admissions/class-profiles/

As you can see, while the overwhelming majority are from Northern Ontario, around 10% are from rural locales elsewhere. You sound like you might fit that description. Best of luck.

• 5 weeks later...
On 5/5/2020 at 6:54 AM, Tango Charlie said:

A RIO of 77 is pretty rural. If it gives you any idea, I recall a person who has lived in Sudbury their entire lives being described during a recent NOSM open house as likely having a context score somewhere in the middle of the range. So it isn't just northern-ness that's valued, of course.

I'd also direct you to NOSM's class profiles page: https://www.nosm.ca/education/md-program/admissions/class-profiles/

As you can see, while the overwhelming majority are from Northern Ontario, around 10% are from rural locales elsewhere. You sound like you might fit that description. Best of luck.

Thank you!!

• 7 months later...

Hello everyone. I was wondering how long I'd need to be living in a northern area for my context score to be valued favorably? Right now I'm quite certain that however my context score is tabulated, mine will be 0: I grew up in Toronto, studied in Toronto, and lived in Sudbury for a few years but ended up moving back to Toronto when that was done. I finished my nursing degree last year at Ryerson (cGPA 3.89) and I've been working as an RN on a general medicine unit, but in the next few months I'll be moving up to the NWT, for a 1 year contract in an ER. I think nursing up there is a really fantastic opportunity for a lot of reasons: they're frequently short-staffed, I'll be working with many Indigenous communities, and as an RN up there I'll be able to practice with a wider scope than I would in southern Ontario (in large part due to the staffing issues). My question is whether or not a sustained amount of experience working in the far north (such as 4-5 years) would be enough to balance out my otherwise completely urban origins, especially if it wasn't in Northern Ontario? Any assistance is appreciated, take care and stay safe. 

13 hours ago, Curveball said:

Hello everyone. I was wondering how long I'd need to be living in a northern area for my context score to be valued favorably? Right now I'm quite certain that however my context score is tabulated, mine will be 0: I grew up in Toronto, studied in Toronto, and lived in Sudbury for a few years but ended up moving back to Toronto when that was done. I finished my nursing degree last year at Ryerson (cGPA 3.89) and I've been working as an RN on a general medicine unit, but in the next few months I'll be moving up to the NWT, for a 1 year contract in an ER. I think nursing up there is a really fantastic opportunity for a lot of reasons: they're frequently short-staffed, I'll be working with many Indigenous communities, and as an RN up there I'll be able to practice with a wider scope than I would in southern Ontario (in large part due to the staffing issues). My question is whether or not a sustained amount of experience working in the far north (such as 4-5 years) would be enough to balance out my otherwise completely urban origins, especially if it wasn't in Northern Ontario? Any assistance is appreciated, take care and stay safe. 

I think population size is also an important consideration. To answer your question though, it might have to be a while (hard to give a number with certainty) and depends on what you do to demonstrate commitment. I’ve lived in a large northern community OOP for 5+ years, in a healthcare setting, but was not accepted to interviews.