Premed 101 Forums

Average IQ of Canadian Medical Students?

orange14

Weak troll

some people are born ugly, some people are born with disease, some people are born stupid. life ain't fair, deal with it, instead of disproving something that's been proven by science

Life isn't all genetics.

As well, IQ still isn't completely genetics. Depending on parents you could potentially have an IQ between 90 and 130. Depending on if you educate yourself or sit on a couch it will alter. Some people may have a possible IQ between 125 and 150.

I'm not disproving IQ. I'm saying it isn't as accurate as people think it is. Your IQ drops during summer months. Your IQ peaks around March/April. If you take more tests you do better. There are way too many variables to make it as accurate as some people think it is.

I'm not for one second saying that if someone has say an 80 IQ they would do worse with the same amount of studying as someone with 130. I'm saying you can't go around saying "I have 130 IQ" and think you're superior, because tons of factors could change it, maybe making it 120, or even 140.

from what i've read, IQ doesn't change past a certain age

i hope you don't think i'm saying i think i'm superior, i don't have a 130 IQ. i don't even know what my IQ is, nor do i care (i'm pretty sure i'm around average tho). i just know smart people and dumb people exist due to genetics. look around your class in a typical linear algebra or any upper year analysis course, almost everyone is asian (some are white, but almost no brown or black). it's not just because they study more. similarily, most females flock to science, a memorization based field. i haven't heard of many females in engineering or CS/SE or physics or w.e that acutally requires problem solving.

Edit: these aren't my opinions

http://thesocietypages.org/socimages/2013/03/07/the-truth-about-gender-and-math/

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
some people are born ugly, some people are born with disease, some people are born stupid. life ain't fair, deal with it, instead of disproving something that's been proven by science

from what i've read, IQ doesn't change past a certain age

i hope you don't think i'm saying i think i'm superior, i don't have a 130 IQ. i don't even know what my IQ is, nor do i care (i'm pretty sure i'm around average tho). i just know smart people and dumb people exist due to genetics. look around your class in a typical linear algebra or analysis course, everyone is asian. it's not because they study more

IQ tests taken in childhood are extremely weak on a correlational basis. I believe if you take it before the age of 2 or 3 it's insanely close to 0.00. As you get closer to adulthood it becomes more accurate, however, it does still change. Like I said, and tests have been done; it drops during summer and peaks towards the "end of the year", that's why if your kid has to have an IQ test done, say for a gifted school, you do it around April because it will be higher without a doubt.

Being Asian has absolutely no correlation whatsoever to being guaranteed smarter, or more likely to be in a lin alg course. We live in a society based on survival of the fittest. If you look into evolution the potential that men didn't have facial hair could exist, but if women found men with facial hair more attractive they were more likely to procreate. It is the same with ethnicities. If for example Asian people value intelligence, that person is likely to attend school and receive at least an undergraduate degree, which has been proven can raise IQ (not by say 20 points, but if you are in the bracket of potentially being between 100-125, you will sit closer to your max IQ of 125) - then, this individual meets another female in the same boat, and after years of this being what is deemed correct your average IQ is more likely to be higher.

In North America we generally put more emphasis on things not necessarily related to school. How many people are more interested in money than anything else? Probably more than you can count. Sadly, years of school doesn't mean higher wage in every case.

The average North American IQ is 100. Which means, even by your previous post of "someone with double digit IQ" on the IQ scale you are still within 1 SD, and technically could still be considered close to average unless you decided to really get down into the small percentage that 1 IQ would make. Ultimately until you reach intellectual disability, IE <70IQ anyone is capable of doing any potential job. We see physicians with an average higher IQ because ultimately they are probably better at obtaining higher grades with juggling ECs. That does not mean that jimmy neutron with an IQ of 90 would never in his life be a doctor. It means he would have a hell of a lot harder time than Suzy Sphincter would if her IQ was 130.

IQ tests taken in childhood are extremely weak on a correlational basis. I believe if you take it before the age of 2 or 3 it's insanely close to 0.00. As you get closer to adulthood it becomes more accurate, however, it does still change. Like I said, and tests have been done; it drops during summer and peaks towards the "end of the year", that's why if your kid has to have an IQ test done, say for a gifted school, you do it around April because it will be higher without a doubt.

Being Asian has absolutely no correlation whatsoever to being guaranteed smarter, or more likely to be in a lin alg course. We live in a society based on survival of the fittest. If you look into evolution the potential that men didn't have facial hair could exist, but if women found men with facial hair more attractive they were more likely to procreate. It is the same with ethnicities. If for example Asian people value intelligence, that person is likely to attend school and receive at least an undergraduate degree, which has been proven can raise IQ (not by say 20 points, but if you are in the bracket of potentially being between 100-125, you will sit closer to your max IQ of 125) - then, this individual meets another female in the same boat, and after years of this being what is deemed correct your average IQ is more likely to be higher.

In North America we generally put more emphasis on things not necessarily related to school. How many people are more interested in money than anything else? Probably more than you can count. Sadly, years of school doesn't mean higher wage in every case.

Also would like to add that i know immigrants in general (not just asians, but most are asian) are harder working in general. That doesn't really change the fact that they're naturally pretty smart in school stuff (i'm actually white so i'm not being biased, just from life experience). They also lack in many other aspects of life, so there's that.

The average North American IQ is 100. Which means, even by your previous post of "someone with double digit IQ" on the IQ scale you are still within 1 SD, and technically could still be considered close to average unless you decided to really get down into the small percentage that 1 IQ would make. Ultimately until you reach intellectual disability, IE <70IQ anyone is capable of doing any potential job. We see physicians with an average higher IQ because ultimately they are probably better at obtaining higher grades with juggling ECs. That does not mean that jimmy neutron with an IQ of 90 would never in his life be a doctor. It means he would have a hell of a lot harder time than Suzy Sphincter would if her IQ was 130.

Hey man, i'm not saying asians are "smarter" (in fact i never said that in my post), i just said most of the people in math courses are asian (this isn't debatable, waterloo is all asian). you can interpret that data however you want to, but please don't be saying i said something that i never said... "smarter", like you said, is subjective. smart in what? Females are good at cooking, and males are good at discovering things (again, i'm not trying to be sexist, and this isn't debatable. most scientific discoveries are by males, and my mom is good at cooking)

I also never said 90 IQ people can't be doctors (in fact i never mentioned doctors at all in any of my posts). I just know people with low IQ will have to work 10 times harder than people that are just more intelligent than them

Woudl like to finally add that gifted people are pretty smart (since you mentioned it). My high school had smoe people that went to gifted schools in elementary school, and they were way smarter than the normal kids. They just picked things up faster, never really had to "study", and most of them were asian. Fyi i'm not asian (not yellow-asian anyway) so i'm not really biased here, this is just something i observed. Let's just forget about this whole IQ thing. All i'm saying is some people are born smarter, that's all. This isn't debatable, i don't even know why this thread is 6 pages lol.

Just to point out years of schooling does correlate to higher wagers save for outliers.

University > College > High School.

Where the value of education in terms of wage drops likely relates to graduate studies but being university educated definitely translates into higher income AND being employed.

Hey man, i'm not saying asians are "smarter" (in fact i never said that in my post), i just said most of the people in math courses are asian (this isn't debatable, waterloo is all asian). you can interpret that data however you want to, but please don't be saying i said something that i never said... "smarter", like you said, is subjective. smart in what? Females are good at cooking, and males are good at discovering things

I also never said 90 IQ people can't be doctors (in fact i never mentioned doctors at all in any of my posts). I just know people with low IQ will have to work 10 times harder than people that are just more intelligent than them

My doctor reference is an example, and females being good at cooking is not a genetics thing.

When it comes to women and IQ this is how it works, they strive in:

Some verbal tasks - including spelling, writing, and pronunciation

Arithmetic calculations (this is only in childhood)

Detecting and recognizing emotions in others

When it comes to men and IQ this is how it works, they strive in:

Most spacial ability tasks (mental rotation, geography)

Complicated mathematical reasoning (beginning in adolescence)

You find more men in math class because men pick up higher level mathematics easier. (Women I am not attacking you) These are simple scientific studies that have been done.

In relation to there being more Asians in your classes, that's more than likely due to authoritarian parenting, which in North America isn't considered the norm, in Asian counties, is what almost every parent does. They value high grades, they demand high grades. I remember talking to a prof not long ago actually, and he was telling me how when he was doing his UG his good friend got 104% on a midterm, when he told his parents there response was not great job, it was "what was the most that you could have gotten? Why didn't you get that?" That's an authoritarian parent, and that's what the majority of Asian cultures follow. That's why you see a lot of Asians attending post secondary schools.

I've never attacked sex, or race, you don't get to jump all over me making a comment about Asian cultures, or individuals. However, your blanket statement on women being good cooks and men being better at discovering things could be misconstrued as offensive. Women generally cook because that's how they are raised, and you're right, it is partly genetics. From day one women are given cooking things, teddy bears, or anything cuddly. Boys are given guts, monster trucks and video games.

Just to point out years of schooling does correlate to higher wagers save for outliers.

University > College > High School.

Where the value of education in terms of wage drops likely relates to graduate studies but being university educated definitely translates into higher income AND being employed.

To an extent. There are guys who work on the rigs, who if I left school with a BSc and didn't pursue graduate studies this guy who went and worked there and owns a home at 24 is beating me and my lab position at 50k/year

To an extent. There are guys who work on the rigs, who if I left school with a BSc and didn't pursue graduate studies this guy who went and worked there and owns a home at 24 is beating me and my lab position at 50k/year

In addition to outliers, it's important to consider that higher education brings more total income OVER THE COURSE of a lifetime. It can be easy for us to look around at the people who never went to university and now have an income that seems high for someone in their earlier 20's, but generally speaking, university grads will go on to earn much more over a lifetime. The data is pretty unequivocal there

In addition to outliers, it's important to consider that higher education brings more total income OVER THE COURSE of a lifetime. It can be easy for us to look around at the people who never went to university and now have an income that seems high for someone in their earlier 20's, but generally speaking, university grads will go on to earn much more over a lifetime. The data is pretty unequivocal there

Once again, that's not guaranteed though. A simple bachelors degree for the most part will not make you 6 figures. You could potentially make 6 figures working in a simple trade. I've met mechanics who make around 150k a year because they're that good at what they do.

Once again, that's not guaranteed though. A simple bachelors degree for the most part will not make you 6 figures. You could potentially make 6 figures working in a simple trade. I've met mechanics who make around 150k a year because they're that good at what they do.

I didn't say it was guaranteed. I was just saying that those differences are over a lifetime and not when people are in their 20's. Of course there are outliers in each group as the other poster mentioned. Obviously you can find anecdotes that go either way.

Man, are there a lot of jerks in this thread.

IQ is real in a sense, but hard to accurately measure. In almost invariably changes somewhat throughout our lives - as people get older our thinking and creativity wane. Certainly health conditions can also effect IQ. Acute events can also effect the result of any single given test (poor sleep, bad breakup, weather, etc).

The average IQ of a doctor in Canada? Hard to say, but most studies suggest 115 as the threshold for the majority of doctors (around 86-87%). Which makes sense. The vast majority of the most brilliant people I knew did not choose medicine. And some of them did not do well with conventional school either. Getting into medicine requires good marks (mostly hard work in combination with reasonable intelligence) and decent MCATS. Plenty of 30s getting in at many schools (or even less!).

There is a troll poster here conveniently knowing a girl that studies 1 week and got a 45 (a score that most years is not even achieved, let alone someone in Canada). Also knowing a girl that has unprotected sex 3x a week and does well in school? No sir, you are a liar, and everyone knows it. Such people may exist - but they would not share that info with you. To make a point (that has some validity) by lying and making up stories is pretty pathetic.

Lastly, while Asians may have a marginally higher average IQ (possibly), basically all the theorems they are studying in that linear algebra class you talk about were developed by people of European descent. World/ethnic dominance changes from era to era, for cultural shift reasons as much as anything else. No one in the right mind, not even most Asians, would have suggested Asians were 'smarter' than Europeans 100 years ago, or even 50 years ago. Heck, even 25 years ago, East European countries completely dominated international contests in mathematics and other sciences (even with Asians competing). 50 years, for all of humanity, is such a tiny drop in the bucket. Asian dominance today, at least in parts of the west, is about much more than simply IQ.

IQ is real in a sense, but hard to accurately measure. In almost invariably changes somewhat throughout our lives - as people get older our thinking and creativity wane. Certainly health conditions can also effect IQ. Acute events can also effect the result of any single given test (poor sleep, bad breakup, weather, etc).

The average IQ of a doctor in Canada? Hard to say, but most studies suggest 115 as the threshold for the majority of doctors (around 86-87%). Which makes sense. The vast majority of the most brilliant people I knew did not choose medicine. And some of them did not do well with conventional school either. Getting into medicine requires good marks (mostly hard work in combination with reasonable intelligence) and decent MCATS. Plenty of 30s getting in at many schools (or even less!).

There is a troll poster here conveniently knowing a girl that studies 1 week and got a 45 (a score that most years is not even achieved, let alone someone in Canada). Also knowing a girl that has unprotected sex 3x a week and does well in school? No sir, you are a liar, and everyone knows it. Such people may exist - but they would not share that info with you. To make a point (that has some validity) by lying and making up stories is pretty pathetic.

Lastly, while Asians may have a marginally higher average IQ (possibly), basically all the theorems they are studying in that linear algebra class you talk about were developed by people of European descent. World/ethnic dominance changes from era to era, for cultural shift reasons as much as anything else. No one in the right mind, not even most Asians, would have suggested Asians were 'smarter' than Europeans 100 years ago, or even 50 years ago. Heck, even 25 years ago, East European countries completely dominated international contests in mathematics and other sciences (even with Asians competing). 50 years, for all of humanity, is such a tiny drop in the bucket. Asian dominance today, at least in parts of the west, is about much more than simply IQ.

i never knew chinese remainder theorem was developed by people of european descent

all jokes aside, i never said "asians" are smarter, they just do better in school from what i can see. and most people in university work equally hard. jews are smart too doe, they don't get enough credit

i never knew chinese remainder theorem was developed by people of european descent

all jokes aside, i never said "asians" are smarter, they just do better in school from what i can see. and most people in university work equally hard. jews are smart too doe, they don't get enough credit

Obviously not all theorems! Most from pre 1300s were developed by arab muslims, and some older theorems by greeks and Egyptians or Indians as well. But the bulk of modern mathematics that we study now was developed by those of jewish or European descent.

That will change with time of course - I suspect more novel discoveries will be made by people of Asian or mixed or Indian descent in the near future. But that is the point - cultural and demographic shifts around the world often play as much into this sort of 'ethnic' success as does any genetic advantage. I would suspect that if all religious and culture was stripped - most ethnic groups have similar potential ranges IQ wise. Not necessarily all, but probably most. That is of course my opinion only, and not a fact.

About Asians doing better in school - that is true to an extent. But I find that the more advanced the training, the smaller the gap. At the PHD level or post-graduate (residency for MDs), that gap has not only ended, but usually reversed. On the USLME, whites outscore Asians, meaning that for end product physicians, whites actually score higher than Asians in the USA. It may reflect that whites have much more freedom to study what they want, when they want, than Asians pressured by parentes. But when whites find something they internally love, they truly excel. While the Asians in med school may have done the schooling for their parents, but without the same level of passion on average, do not perform as well at it.

My doctor reference is an example, and females being good at cooking is not a genetics thing.

When it comes to women and IQ this is how it works, they strive in:

Some verbal tasks - including spelling, writing, and pronunciation

Arithmetic calculations (this is only in childhood)

Detecting and recognizing emotions in others

When it comes to men and IQ this is how it works, they strive in:

Most spacial ability tasks (mental rotation, geography)

Complicated mathematical reasoning (beginning in adolescence)

You find more men in math class because men pick up higher level mathematics easier. (Women I am not attacking you) These are simple scientific studies that have been done.

True, but then you say...

In relation to there being more Asians in your classes, that's more than likely due to authoritarian parenting, which in North America isn't considered the norm, in Asian counties, is what almost every parent does. They value high grades, they demand high grades. I remember talking to a prof not long ago actually, and he was telling me how when he was doing his UG his good friend got 104% on a midterm, when he told his parents there response was not great job, it was "what was the most that you could have gotten? Why didn't you get that?" That's an authoritarian parent, and that's what the majority of Asian cultures follow. That's why you see a lot of Asians attending post secondary schools.

Parenting? No, that's not what science says. I didn't want to bring race into this discussion but North East Asians that immigrate here have higher IQs then the white average. Please refer to the many studies of ethnic differences in IQ. This tiger mom mentality is PC-bull that results in sadistic mistreatment of children, shattered self-esteem, and unrealistic expectations. Look at No Child Left Behind to see what an utter and costly failure extreme environmental intervention has been.

I've never attacked sex, or race, you don't get to jump all over me making a comment about Asian cultures, or individuals. However, your blanket statement on women being good cooks and men being better at discovering things could be misconstrued as offensive. Women generally cook because that's how they are raised, and you're right, it is partly genetics. From day one women are given cooking things, teddy bears, or anything cuddly. Boys are given guts, monster trucks and video games.

Although I disagree with the women cooking stereotype, I believe there are some differences between men and women, as there are with different ethnic groups. I don't know why acknowledging these differences amounts to "attacking" anyone.

Jerks and trolls because we acknowledge the reality of innate ability and not try to white wash reality?

IQ is real, and it is not hard to measure. There is a concept in psychology called validity, which means how well you can repeat the results. And with all the possible flaws one can invent for IQ tests they are still remarkably consistent and I don't believe change more than 10 points in score (I may be wrong on this statistic, I can't remember the exact figure but it was small). Professional psychologists have spent the last century studying your criticisms but twin studies really sealed the deal and show IQ is hereditary. This line of thinking is perfectly compatible with evolutionary theory and genetics too. Studies show that once you are over 18 your IQ will largely remain static.

Who are you to call me a liar? The girl I know exists. We were very close friends and she was very open about herself to me. It wasn't too difficult to hide either, given that half of the student council at our residence bragged about banging her. Am I supposed to post a picture of her getting wasted with older frat boys to convince you? Wednesdays and weekends were all about getting wasted and laid, she had several friends "with benefits" but liked the novelty of older men too. She also had some mental issues and very poor impulse control, but her intellect was crisp. She was off the charts brilliant. She remembered exotic author names of journals that I had only shown her once, it was terrifying. Although I never actually seen her MCAT score I did see most of her term tests and know she got into medical school. Her participation in class was enough, she fixed a lot of errors in our professors notes and presentation.

Do you know much about gifted people? They are usually popular socially and go on to professional schools or business (ignore my anecdotes if you want, see Terman's study). The awkward nerds are usually the ones that do computer science or quant work, not medicine. Very many of the ones I knew were also into recreational drugs, alcohol, and rampant sex - hardly the shy and hard working types. They knew how to balance work and play. Read the bio of people like Feynmann or HG Wells if you want real life examples.

The irony of people believing IQ scores are perfect measures of intelligence, or that intelligence is some easily definable construct which is measured by IQ tests, is hopefully not missed by other people on this board. Also, a lot of posts are bordering on outright racist, so be careful what you say.

I'm calling you a liar, because you are a liar. Most years there are ZERO or maybe ONE person that scores a 45 in all of north America in a given year. Only 75 people score a 42 or higher in all of north America in any given year (or maybe 7 or so in Canada). That 75 is virtually all clustered at the 42/43range. That you, of all people, know that one person with a 45 is a flat out lie. Let me state this right now. You are a racist troll and unfit for the career of medicine where helping people is important.

About your claims about Asians being smarter and having an obviously higher IQ - how does that explain virtual dominance by non Asians in virtually all arenas of science for 600+ years (if not longer). Even today, of the top 100 universities in the world, virtually ALL are in the western world with primarily white teachers. Almost all of them. Despite the fact that Asians grossly outnumber whites. China alone has more people than the whole western world combined! Yet that country has had so few novel scientific developments, little Finland with only 4.5 million people would outclass them. If you believe so much in genetics and outcome, you would then concede that whites surpass Asians. I would say that cultural shifts explain much of the difference. What is your explanation for such poor intellectual output from China for 500 + years?

True, but then you say...

Parenting? No, that's not what science says. I didn't want to bring race into this discussion but North East Asians that immigrate here have higher IQs then the white average. Please refer to the many studies of ethnic differences in IQ. This tiger mom mentality is PC-bull that results in sadistic mistreatment of children, shattered self-esteem, and unrealistic expectations. Look at No Child Left Behind to see what an utter and costly failure extreme environmental intervention has been.

Although I disagree with the women cooking stereotype, I believe there are some differences between men and women, as there are with different ethnic groups. I don't know why acknowledging these differences amounts to "attacking" anyone.

Jerks and trolls because we acknowledge the reality of innate ability and not try to white wash reality?

IQ is real, and it is not hard to measure. There is a concept in psychology called validity, which means how well you can repeat the results. And with all the possible flaws one can invent for IQ tests they are still remarkably consistent and I don't believe change more than 10 points in score (I may be wrong on this statistic, I can't remember the exact figure but it was small). Professional psychologists have spent the last century studying your criticisms but twin studies really sealed the deal and show IQ is hereditary. This line of thinking is perfectly compatible with evolutionary theory and genetics too. Studies show that once you are over 18 your IQ will largely remain static.

Who are you to call me a liar? The girl I know exists. We were very close friends and she was very open about herself to me. It wasn't too difficult to hide either, given that half of the student council at our residence bragged about banging her. Am I supposed to post a picture of her getting wasted with older frat boys to convince you? Wednesdays and weekends were all about getting wasted and laid, she had several friends "with benefits" but liked the novelty of older men too. She also had some mental issues and very poor impulse control, but her intellect was crisp. She was off the charts brilliant. She remembered exotic author names of journals that I had only shown her once, it was terrifying. Although I never actually seen her MCAT score I did see most of her term tests and know she got into medical school. Her participation in class was enough, she fixed a lot of errors in our professors notes and presentation.

Do you know much about gifted people? They are usually popular socially and go on to professional schools or business (ignore my anecdotes if you want, see Terman's study). The awkward nerds are usually the ones that do computer science or quant work, not medicine. Very many of the ones I knew were also into recreational drugs, alcohol, and rampant sex - hardly the shy and hard working types. They knew how to balance work and play. Read the bio of people like Feynmann or HG Wells if you want real life examples.

pure math/CS/SE/physics/some engineering are the only areas of studying that acutally require a brain. surprised you're calling them "awkward nerds", when people in science are the ones studying 20 hours a day. It's not hard to memorize, anyone can given enough time (some may be faster than others). Problem solving and analysis is different. Some people (95% of people in science) can't think even if their life dependent on it

doing drugs, "rampant sex" and drinking isn't really an accomplishment. Why do i get the feeling you're just trying to rustle jimmies here, lmfao

I'm calling you a liar, because you are a liar. Most years there are ZERO or maybe ONE person that scores a 45 in all of north America in a given year. Only 75 people score a 42 or higher in all of north America in any given year (or maybe 7 or so in Canada). That 75 is virtually all clustered at the 42/43range. That you, of all people, know that one person with a 45 is a flat out lie. Let me state this right now. You are a racist troll and unfit for the career of medicine where helping people is important.

About your claims about Asians being smarter and having an obviously higher IQ - how does that explain virtual dominance by non Asians in virtually all arenas of science for 600+ years (if not longer). Even today, of the top 100 universities in the world, virtually ALL are in the western world with primarily white teachers. Almost all of them. Despite the fact that Asians grossly outnumber whites. China alone has more people than the whole western world combined! Yet that country has had so few novel scientific developments, little Finland with only 4.5 million people would outclass them. If you believe so much in genetics and outcome, you would then concede that whites surpass Asians. I would say that cultural shifts explain much of the difference. What is your explanation for such poor intellectual output from China for 500 + years?

That's what she told me. She also boasted her IQ was something like 160. These are things I can't personally verify but I was in some of her classes where I witnessed her performance first hand and know she has publications as an undergrad. I also know she's in medical school and doing really well there. I could tell you more but I'd pretty much be revealing her identity. You'll just have to take my word that it's well established that she is a genius. It's not all that uncommon to have freakishly talented students in my program.

I didn't want to bring race into this conversation. Studies do show that east Asians have higher IQs than white Americans. These are just averages of course, some suggest that while the Asian average is higher the white distribution is more spread meaning there are more people at the extreme end of intelligence. I don't believe IQ is all there is to intelligence. You need creativity, the proper work ethic, and even luck. I'm not too familiar with China and it's history, but I can tell you it is the one area European colonists were never able to conquer, and it is only in the last 200-300 years that Europe has surpassed Asian technology. Even Marco Polo remarked that the Chinese were the most intelligent people he's encountered.

This thread was about IQ of doctors, and there is a minimum required to be considered by most Canadian schools. I don't necessarily believe a good doctor needs a high IQ, but due to the competition and abundance of applicants schools are extremely selective. I don't believe that a mean IQ of 130 is too far from those who get into medical school and supported my reasoning. IQ isn't everything, but it IS an important part of the whole with a profession like medicine.

That's what she told me. She also boasted her IQ was something like 160. These are things I can't personally verify but I was in some of her classes where I witnessed her performance first hand and know she has publications as an undergrad. I also know she's in medical school and doing really well there. I could tell you more but I'd pretty much be revealing her identity. You'll just have to take my word that it's well established that she is a genius. It's not all that uncommon to have freakishly talented students in my program.

I didn't want to bring race into this conversation. Studies do show that east Asians have higher IQs than white Americans. These are just averages of course, some suggest that while the Asian average is higher the white distribution is more spread meaning there are more people at the extreme end of intelligence. I don't believe IQ is all there is to intelligence. You need creativity, the proper work ethic, and even luck. I'm not too familiar with China and it's history, but I can tell you it is the one area European colonists were never able to conquer, and it is only in the last 200-300 years that Europe has surpassed Asian technology. Even Marco Polo remarked that the Chinese were the most intelligent people he's encountered.

This thread was about IQ of doctors, and there is a minimum required to be considered by most Canadian schools. I don't necessarily believe a good doctor needs a high IQ, but due to the competition and abundance of applicants schools are extremely selective. I don't believe that a mean IQ of 130 is too far from those who get into medical school and supported my reasoning. IQ isn't everything, but it IS an important part of the whole with a profession like medicine.

522e73fde691b221417d6b6b_736.jpg

Archived