Premed 101 Forums

"Prestige" ---?

What is it with these rankings of universities?

Bashing each others universities because they didn't make the top 100 on Macleans? What even is that list?? How old Ivy has been growing on their buildings..?:rolleyes:

I will never get why people boast about what university they go to, seems absolutely ridiculous to me.

Bashing each others universities because they didn't make the top 100 on Macleans? What even is that list?? How old Ivy has been growing on their buildings..?:rolleyes:

I will never get why people boast about what university they go to, seems absolutely ridiculous to me.

Pointless - except it does sell newspapers/magazines. beyond obvious gross evaluations it is just arbitrary people making arbitrary decisions about how important things are and creating some master ranking formula.

This is why the average person finds it difficult to believe that prestige has no relevance in Canada. It's so counter-intuitive because they've been told time and again by popular media that it is.

This is why the average person finds it difficult to believe that prestige has no relevance in Canada. It's so counter-intuitive because they've been told time and again by popular media that it is.

and everything else is ranked too so there is that general pattern :)

there are definitely times when going to a particular school does convey advantage (I mean Waterloo engineering for instance does hold weight) BUT only in special cases and not for medical school admission.

You're telling me universities teach different calculus in calculus 1 and 2? Or they teach different chemistry in first year? or whatever course. :confused:

well to a degree yeah - the waterloo calculus course for instance a lot different than the guelph one for standard science students. Similarly computer science degree overall at Guelph is radically different than computer science one at Waterloo. Not necessarily better but a lot different (guelph is more practical, waterloo has a lot of extra theory in this case).

I mean there are certain core things that are quite similar (as you are saying chem is chem after all) but there are significant differences I have found in overall programs at various centres. There are local variations :)

Having been "around the block" a bit, I'll say that programs at different universities are different, and some are better or worse that others in a lot of ways.

It's not objective, but like how sometimes a prof might be awesome and everyone knows it and takes their class, a whole program could be awesome. For a whole university to happen to be particularly good or bad, unlikely but I don't see why it wouldn't happen. We've just gotten so used to protect everyone's "self-esteem" that there are no winners or losers anymore, every university is a "winner".

But, to pretend that the rankings or "prestige" indicate which programs are better or worse would be ignorant, I say.

well depends on the field...

in business, big new york banks don't visit every single canadian school for recruiting. It's also well-known that big accounting firms hire within.

in law, big new york law firms only hold recruiting from Osgoode/UofT in Ontario.

that's when rankings really matter.

for arts/science, no one rlly cares cuz there isn't a concrete correlation between work productivity and school ranking

i'd say this is rather accurate... very, actually.

in business, big new york banks don't visit every single canadian school for recruiting. It's also well-known that big accounting firms hire within.

in law, big new york law firms only hold recruiting from Osgoode/UofT in Ontario.

for arts/science, no one rlly cares cuz there isn't a concrete correlation between work productivity and school ranking

well, i think you mean u of a or waterloo... lol, but aside from that, the research capabilities and funding are at another level, hence employers don't necessarily pick waterloo grads, waterloo people inherantly are picked because they're good... and hence, more desirable employees and/or researchers

Ultimately we all learn the same content in undergrad in Canada.

Though I can see why being from UofT or Waterloo engineering will hold some weight for employment.

The big question would be how those firms hire - I think some of the statistics on school level very interesting. I mean a lot of the big firms would hire the top X% of people from that school - say 25% at most. So there is broadly speaking 75% chance you will go to that school and not be in that category. Or you could go to another school which isn't as competitive and be close to their top student - and the top students at any school have some serious advantages. Some of the data on where people ultimately place, and how ultimately successful suggest it is better to be a a mid level school and do very well than being in the bottom half of a top school (in terms of income, research productivity, and so on). The point is there is a price that is usually not considered when going to those schools considered more "ivey". In part this is backed up by your comment on the lack of concrete correlations - to be clear the BEST student at the BEST schools do in fact seem to do better, but the vast majority of the students aren't in that fix.

Clarification: Wall Street law firms also regularly recruit from McGill as well. :) They would not consider other Canadian law schools.

The big question would be how those firms hire - I think some of the statistics on school level very interesting. I mean a lot of the big firms would hire the top X% of people from that school - say 25% at most. So there is broadly speaking 75% chance you will go to that school and not be in that category. Or you could go to another school which isn't as competitive and be close to their top student - and the top students at any school have some serious advantages. Some of the data on where people ultimately place, and how ultimately successful suggest it is better to be a a mid level school and do very well than being in the bottom half of a top school (in terms of income, research productivity, and so on). The point is there is a price that is usually not considered when going to those schools considered more "ivey". In part this is backed up by your comment on the lack of concrete correlations - to be clear the BEST student at the BEST schools do in fact seem to do better, but the vast majority of the students aren't in that fix.

I think this is pretty much true, for Canada at least. Going to UofT would probably hurt you if all your classmates used to be top of their class and you get bad grades because you don't do quite as well as they do.

I've heard though that many top US colleges give practically all their students good grades, because all of them were top students and usually do pretty well, so maybe the "top school penalty" doesn't apply there.

there is truth in what you're saying. and i bet there are students who strategically go to less well-known law schools and do extremely well.

i guess my post was to highlight that in some industries, companies frankly discriminate based on which school you graduated from by

1. holding formal recruiting events (e.g. OCIs for summer law student jobs) at only certain schools

2. exclusively hiring from a certain program

3. allocating more resources to better schools (e.g. recruiting events + # of interview days allotted + posting on school's internal job listings etc)

The biggest difference I noticed from watching a friend go through the law school process is how much resources/opportunities osgoode/uoft students are exposed to from bay street/wall street law firms that many other ontario schools do not ever get. It is for these reasons why many students would try to transfer from other ontario schools to uoft/osgoode. JUST for the sake of accessing those internal resources/opportunities.

it is actually pretty insane

Yeah, it just seems silly. In the States it's a whole new story, but over here, it's much the same.

I remember when I was in high school, someone was like, "UofT is the most famous university in Canada!"

....famous? haha. :P

Prestige is pointless.

Petey went to Harvard for his undergrad, MD, and plastic surgery residency.

Timmy went to small Canadian school for undergrad then got his MD from Western and completed plastic surgery residency at UBC.

In the end Petey is in the hole 10k+ more than Timmy, even though they make the same pay.

Prestige is pointless.

Prestige is pointless.

Petey went to Harvard for his undergrad, MD, and plastic surgery residency.

Timmy went to small Canadian school for undergrad then got his MD from Western and completed plastic surgery residency at UBC.

In the end Petey is in the hole 10k+ more than Timmy, even though they make the same pay.

Prestige is pointless.

In that sense yes. But most people want the prestige to "show off" ultimately. That and personal satisfaction in attending somewhere like Harvard.