Premed 101 Forums

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't have an absolute 4.0 but close and been close to pulling it off over one year.

My personal opinion is that it's pretty close to impossible to do it if you're working AND doing ECs/maintaining personal life/hobbies-entertainment...

Something has to be freed up.

But generally speaking, you want to know every bit of info that the prof covered (or expects you to know). I also find repetition is key well ahead of time...

Hi..

So to everyone who's maintaining a full course load and getting that perfect GPA.. How do you do it?!?

It's so hard to have time to study every course in crucial detail, let alone do that whilst working and volunteering.

What does a typical day/week look like for you guys? How do you guys study? (Rewrite notes/Read/Talk to yourself.etc) Exam tips?

Thanks for the input.

Your username holds the secret to success young padawan.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say it's pretty uncommon to carry a full-course load (5 courses/semester) and manage a 4.0 every single semester. In any degree program, not just sciences. However, I do know that in 2012(?), one of Canada's valedictorians had a perfect A+ average of >98% in electrical(?) engineering. That's pretty damn impressive considering engineering often requires 6-7 courses/semester. But, I'm assuming that's not a realistic goal for even the most ambitious and intelligent person.

I'd recommend that you strive to maintain a competitive average (~3.80) instead, because there's quite a few combinations of grades you can get to meet that requirement.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say it's pretty uncommon to carry a full-course load (5 courses/semester) and manage a 4.0 every single semester. In any degree program, not just sciences. However, I do know that in 2012, Queen's valedictorian had a perfect A+ average of >98% in electrical(?) engineering. That's pretty damn impressive considering engineering is often requires 6-7 courses/semester. But, I'm assuming that not a realistic goal for even the most ambitious and intelligent person.

98% avg in eng................................. is this for realsies

A lot of it is strategy. Take courses you know you will succeed in. For example I took both physics and calculus in high school. As a result my university guidance counsellor suggested I take the appropriate courses for my level of knowledge. However, like any strategic premed I did not take that nonsensical babble into consideration and took the easiest options available to ensure I get a 4.0. Nothing else matters at all. All I care about right now at this moment is gpa.

We're nearly a month and a half into calculus and we haven't even touched limits yet, and you know what, I could honestly give two ***** as long as I got my 4.0 I'm good.

Hi..

So to everyone who's maintaining a full course load and getting that perfect GPA.. How do you do it?!?

It's so hard to have time to study every course in crucial detail, let alone do that whilst working and volunteering.

What does a typical day/week look like for you guys? How do you guys study? (Rewrite notes/Read/Talk to yourself.etc) Exam tips?

Thanks for the input.

Take easy classes. Most 400 level courses are easy, while many 200 level courses are tough ... weird, but all my lv. 400 courses have a class average of A- (~82%). Also find an easy supervisor for the honors thesis, I worked ~2hrs per week, chill in the lab, and still got an 95 :D

Go to an easy school. Many of my friends who go to UofT and McGill was so pissed when they heard the news that I got accepted, knowing that I was just chilling while they had to work their asses off and still destroyed their chance. But hey, they made the decision, so accept the consequence. :D

In conclusion, I worked minimally in undergrad, got a perfect 4.0, got accepted, all thanks to my easy school-class-prof.

Feel awesome! :D

PS: I was exaggerating a lil bit though :P kekeke

Take easy classes. Most 400 level courses are easy, while many 200 level courses are tough ... weird, but all my lv. 400 courses have a class average of A- (~82%). Also find an easy supervisor for the honors thesis, I worked ~2hrs per week, chill in the lab, and still got an 95 :D

Go to an easy school. Many of my friends who go to UofT and McGill was so pissed when they heard the news that I got accepted, knowing that I was just chilling while they had to work their asses off and still destroyed their chance. But hey, they made the decision, so accept the consequence. :D

In conclusion, I worked minimally in undergrad, got a perfect 4.0, got accepted, all thanks to my easy school-class-prof.

Feel awesome! :D

got a few low 80s in my last term. I can't blame anyone but myself for being distracted ... and for some reason, i think that it is unethical, not because it will show up on my med app lolz

m8 uwot? someone help this man his account has been hijacked. surely he isnt lying......

EXPOSED.

Use time wisely, and unfortunately be prepared to make some sacrifices. Make the most of class time, don't sit there passively letting info hit you in the head. Rather take that info captive, it is of value so don't let it go. Think about whether or not what the teacher is saying make sense. If it doesn't try to think it through and connect the dots and if you can't don't be afraid to throw that hand up. (Just don't be that person that figures out the answer and then asks the prof anyways just to try to sound smart). Connect new information to old information that you already know. For example if you are learning about flow in physics, and you are learning about the heart in physiology, think about what a valve defect does in terms of laminar -> turbulent flow and why that causes a murmur. Try to make connections where ever you can so you make use of the knowledge you've accumulated.

When it comes to studying for exams, study what you DON'T know. It's fun and easy to study stuff that you know, because it feels good to be confident about a subject. That's a waste of time if you're trying to kill an exam. Set aside subjects that you know, or have a framework to figure out the answers too and focus hard on the stuff that hasn't clicked yet.

Everyone says this but find a way to study that works for you and allows you to get in the zone. There's no point in reading something if by the end of the page you have no idea what you just read. So if reading stops working start writing it out, if that stops working ask a friend or family member to be your student and teach the concepts to them. just some suggestions of what I have done/do.

Use time wisely, and unfortunately be prepared to make some sacrifices. Make the most of class time, don't sit there passively letting info hit you in the head. Rather take that info captive, it is of value so don't let it go. Think about whether or not what the teacher is saying make sense. If it doesn't try to think it through and connect the dots and if you can't don't be afraid to throw that hand up. (Just don't be that person that figures out the answer and then asks the prof anyways just to try to sound smart). Connect new information to old information that you already know. For example if you are learning about flow in physics, and you are learning about the heart in physiology, think about what a valve defect does in terms of laminar -> turbulent flow and why that causes a murmur. Try to make connections where ever you can so you make use of the knowledge you've accumulated.

When it comes to studying for exams, study what you DON'T know. It's fun and easy to study stuff that you know, because it feels good to be confident about a subject. That's a waste of time if you're trying to kill an exam. Set aside subjects that you know, or have a framework to figure out the answers too and focus hard on the stuff that hasn't clicked yet.

Everyone says this but find a way to study that works for you and allows you to get in the zone. There's no point in reading something if by the end of the page you have no idea what you just read. So if reading stops working start writing it out, if that stops working ask a friend or family member to be your student and teach the concepts to them. just some suggestions of what I have done/do.

So helpful! Thanks!

It isn't that you don't have enough time, believe me. You just aren't using it effectively enough.

To be perfectly honest, I do not have a ton of time to study since I have a rule that I don't study while my kids are awake and with me. I do readings between classes or if it is quiet at work and review my notes regularly to add/clarify things.

My notes are my strong point, I make them very thorough and rarely need to study from anything besides my notes for tests. I do not copy them out repeatedly, but I do review and revise them with additional detail as I learn it.

I try to take courses that complement each other material-wise. It's a convenient way of making studying more efficient since shared or related concepts from different courses can be super helpful in piecing together how or why things do what they do.

Knowing your profs is also a good thing to do. Learn their teaching habits, how they ask questions, how they emphasize things. Most of my profs make it pretty clear - not necessarily intentionally - what they will be focusing on for tests.

Go to class every dayalert, aware, and prepared to listen carefully and think about what is being said. Most important thing right there. Don't use a laptop either; serves as a distraction to you and others, and hand-writing notes helps retention.

It isn't that you don't have enough time, believe me. You just aren't using it effectively enough.

To be perfectly honest, I do not have a ton of time to study since I have a rule that I don't study while my kids are awake and with me. I do readings between classes or if it is quiet at work and review my notes regularly to add/clarify things.

My notes are my strong point, I make them very thorough and rarely need to study from anything besides my notes for tests. I do not copy them out repeatedly, but I do review and revise them with additional detail as I learn it.

I try to take courses that complement each other material-wise. It's a convenient way of making studying more efficient since shared or related concepts from different courses can be super helpful in piecing together how or why things do what they do.

Knowing your profs is also a good thing to do. Learn their teaching habits, how they ask questions, how they emphasize things. Most of my profs make it pretty clear - not necessarily intentionally - what they will be focusing on for tests.

Go to class every dayalert, aware, and prepared to listen carefully and think about what is being said. Most important thing right there. Don't use a laptop either; serves as a distraction to you and others, and hand-writing notes helps retention.

Wow, respect Birdy. This all must be 1000x harder while taking care of a family at the same time. Keep doing you!! :D

A lot of it is strategy. Take courses you know you will succeed in. For example I took both physics and calculus in high school. As a result my university guidance counsellor suggested I take the appropriate courses for my level of knowledge. However, like any strategic premed I did not take that nonsensical babble into consideration and took the easiest options available to ensure I get a 4.0. Nothing else matters at all. All I care about right now at this moment is gpa.

We're nearly a month and a half into calculus and we haven't even touched limits yet, and you know what, I could honestly give two ***** as long as I got my 4.0 I'm good.

Too bad at uoit we dont have that option =(. I have a 4.0 GPA though so it's called good.

Wow, respect Birdy. This all must be 1000x harder while taking care of a family at the same time. Keep doing you!! :D

Thank you. :)

Funny enough, I don't find things that hard. Scheduling can be a challenge, but school stuff never really stresses me out (really stressed out right now, though, since we had a fire and can't go home for another month and a half.)

I feel less busy now than I did before I had kids. That's why I say it's a matter of effective time utilization. Seems the more I do, the easier it is to manage things.

Archived