Premed 101 Forums

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thank you. :)

Funny enough, I don't find things that hard. Scheduling can be a challenge, but school stuff never really stresses me out (really stressed out right now, though, since we had a fire and can't go home for another month and a half.)

I feel less busy now than I did before I had kids. That's why I say it's a matter of effective time utilization. Seems the more I do, the easier it is to manage things.

Weren't you the one who said obtaining a 95 average in highschool is easy? :rolleyes:

Well according to my school's conversion system I'm at a 4.0 in all my classes so far (even English, yay!). All my course outlines follow this pretty much exactly (not including curves).

http://www.efs.ualberta.ca/Intranet/~/media/English%20and%20Film%20Studies/Documents/Instructor/Grading_Chart.pdf

But I believe the GPA is weighted differently all over Canada especially Ontario, but I wouldn't expect it to be more than 0.03-0.04 off which is something I can somewhat deal with, though would rather keep the 4.0.

For me, practice makes perfect. As the years rolled by, I began to understand the system better, and my grades improved. Nonetheless, I must confess OMSAS 4.0 is very difficult to achieve, and require both hardwork and a bit of luck. The closest I got was 3.99 (got it only in my 4th year), after trying 4 times.

Just a heads up: you don't need 4.0 to get into med sch, so don't feel too bad if you don't get it!

I graduated 3.99

Soo pretty close. That correlated to a 94% average in UG and 96 in the last three years.

I worked at least two part time jobs per semester, went to the gym constantly, and still got my ECs in!

I did give up some social life, that's for sure, but it never took a big dive.

Honestly, work smart! Prioritize your time, and actively study. Don't just read over notes, engage yourself in them! If you're going to study, study each hour like the test is the next day.

Best of luck.

GP

sleep is an important factor

i never pulled an all nighter and never will

I have done hundreds of them :) Some of this comes down to personal style etc and program. I used to joke that software engineering was a 4 year degree in sleep deprivation.

Good training too for residency I guess - I am having at least one all nighter so far a week.

I have done hundreds of them :) Some of this comes down to personal style etc and program. I used to joke that software engineering was a 4 year degree in sleep deprivation.

Good training too for residency I guess - I am having at least one all nighter so far a week.

ur in residency....it's different

you're technically "working"

ur in residency....it's different

you're technically "working"

oh true - but in my actual software programming degree we would have to do coding programming all nighters a lot. If you wanted the grades you had to work for them, usually grades were a function of time solely. If I wanted that 90 you did what you had to do. There is a reason all those hacker movies have everyone put all hours working for long, long stretches. There is some truth to that :) The field self selects for people that can solve logic problems when tired.

My point I guess was knowing how to function well when very tired is a skill like anything else that develops over time, and that skill helps me in residency. I know when I am going off the rails faster and what I need to do perhaps quicker to prevent as many issues (senior residents are better at that as well I think).

oh true - but in my actual software programming degree we would have to do coding programming all nighters a lot. If you wanted the grades you had to work for them, usually grades were a function of time solely. If I wanted that 90 you did what you had to do. There is a reason all those hacker movies have everyone put all hours working for long, long stretches. There is some truth to that :) The field self selects for people that can solve logic problems when tired.

My point I guess was knowing how to function well when very tired is a skill like anything else that develops over time, and that skill helps me in residency. I know when I am going off the rails faster and what I need to do perhaps quicker to prevent as many issues (senior residents are better at that as well I think).

meh i like my sleep

meh i like my sleep

and I like that shear joy of finally smashing a problem to bits in the face of a critical deadline after 30 straight hours of coding in a room full of others doing the same thing. Working with a team that gels, music blaring, human vs computer. Ha - programmers are a bit strange at times :)

and I like that shear joy of finally smashing a problem to bits in the face of a critical deadline after 30 straight hours of coding in a room full of others doing the same thing. Working with a team that gels, music blaring, human vs computer. Ha - programmers are a bit strange at times :)

reminds me of my military training

didn't shower and didn't really sleep for 5 days(probably 4-5 hours of sleep the entire 5 days)

so ya....i did the extreme and I don't wanna do it again if i don't have to :P

How am I doing it?

Paying off profs, TAS, and/or department peeps entering marks.

Not a 4.0 though, I don't want to raise any flags so I try to stick with a comfy 3.9.

Baller

I currently have a 4.0 GPA and I'm in 3rd year. I personally study when ever possible lol. When I'm on the bus,walking to school I'm reviewing my notes on my phone,etc.

Basically It's all about insane time management :cool:

curious, did you do a comp sci degree or comp eng, or soft eng?

I currently have a 4.0 GPA and I'm in 2nd year. I personally study when ever possible lol. When I'm on the bus,walking to school I'm reviewing my notes on my phone,etc.

Basically It's all about insane time management :cool:

Welcome back UOIT Science (and possibly Brock medical sciences). You might want to change your signature to 2012-2016 if you're in 'second year' right now (or 2011-2016 if you took a year off) :P

Archived