Premed 101 Forums

Moonlighting during R3 EM year as Family Doc

meshuga3

Hi,

This topic has been addressed before, in part, but I have a couple of specific questions that I haven't been able to find an answer to. I'm a family med resident hoping to do the R3 EM year. I would love to moonlight a bit during this year to bring in some extra money. It sounds like that is possible, that people do it (I'm in Ontario, btw). What I'm not clear on is the following:

1. When you register with the CPSO, I assume it's as an independent practitioner, and as such, you pay the full license/app fees (close to 2000 dollars at last check). Does this same license cover you for the R3 year of residency, or would I also have to pay for a post-grad education license?

2. Same question re: CMPA. There is the option to pay for restricted registration coverage while in residency, i.e. code 14, or to pay for the full independent coverage (code 35 or 73). Not sure which I'd pick -- or if I would pick the regular post-grad code (12), plus one of these others.

3. Also, would it even be permissible to work shifts in the emerg as a family doctor if I were an R3 EM resident? I mean, without the R3 year I can still go to a rural hospital and work in the ED. I can't see how simply being in an EM program should change that, except I could see an admin person somewhere saying "how can meshuga3 work in an emerg while enrolled in an emerg training program?

4. Finally, and maybe most importantly, how difficult is it to find opportunities to do walk-ins, locums, or the occasional ED shift? I have no idea where to even start looking!

Thanks -- I've been on this board since before med school and have always been super-grateful for all the good advice I've gotten.

Independent license and CMPA full work codes will cover both your moonlighting and postgrad. Obviously any extra work you did would have to not interfere with your residency program. There are ads out there for walk-in clinic physicians - I wonder if they will be flexible in allowing you to pick up shifts as you wish.

Talk to those who have done it and see what their thoughts are. But the R3 year is a pretty busy year. You may decide you don't have enough time to moonlight. You'll be busy with your rotations (alot of which are off service eg ICU involving call) and research project, and prepping for your exam.

If you decide the extra income during that year outweighs the added burden of moonlighting, then keep in mind you will also need the permission of your program director. So you might want to talk to that person.

As for moonlighting in the ER as an R3. That isn't going to happen in the ED where you are training. You'd have to look elsewhere for opportunities.

Best to discuss feasibility with your program director, maybe after coming up with a plan through discussion with those who may have already done something similar.

Hi,

This topic has been addressed before, in part, but I have a couple of specific questions that I haven't been able to find an answer to. I'm a family med resident hoping to do the R3 EM year. I would love to moonlight a bit during this year to bring in some extra money. It sounds like that is possible, that people do it (I'm in Ontario, btw). What I'm not clear on is the following:

1. When you register with the CPSO, I assume it's as an independent practitioner, and as such, you pay the full license/app fees (close to 2000 dollars at last check). Does this same license cover you for the R3 year of residency, or would I also have to pay for a post-grad education license?

2. Same question re: CMPA. There is the option to pay for restricted registration coverage while in residency, i.e. code 14, or to pay for the full independent coverage (code 35 or 73). Not sure which I'd pick -- or if I would pick the regular post-grad code (12), plus one of these others.

3. Also, would it even be permissible to work shifts in the emerg as a family doctor if I were an R3 EM resident? I mean, without the R3 year I can still go to a rural hospital and work in the ED. I can't see how simply being in an EM program should change that, except I could see an admin person somewhere saying "how can meshuga3 work in an emerg while enrolled in an emerg training program?

4. Finally, and maybe most importantly, how difficult is it to find opportunities to do walk-ins, locums, or the occasional ED shift? I have no idea where to even start looking!

Thanks -- I've been on this board since before med school and have always been super-grateful for all the good advice I've gotten.

I don't know much about the R3 EM year or what happens when a person graduates from a FM residency, since I've never done either, nor do I know much about the moonlight type job prospects for a CCFP in their R3 year, but I do know a few things about being both a resident and holding an independent license.

Your independent license covers your postgraduate license. As in, it trumps it, it encompasses it, it is the only one you need. The CPSO will gladly take your money for both, full fees, no rebates. I highly recommend you try to only pay for one.

If you have your CCFP and an independent license, then you do not have a restricted license. You have an independent one. So long as you plan on moonlighting/working-outside-your-residency for no more than 2 consecutive weeks (14 days) without once returning to work as a resident, then you use Code 14, which costs the same as Code 12 but gives you coverage for work as an independent practitioner. At least I think those are the codes, but the CMPA website is down right now, and I'm on an away-rotation and don't have my CMPA invoices with me.

Call the CMPA. They are enormously helpful. Unlike some other professional bodies you will have to work with.

That would be up to the hospital/ER dept that is hiring you in as a FP. But (see next point)...

Finding jobs is often a case of networking, networking, asking around. Sure there's HFOJobs, but it's kind of useless IMHO, never actually reflects what communities are looking for, and you'll get far better results just cold calling or cold emailing docs, recruiters, and departments. That's just my experience so far, and your mileage may vary.

BUT, and this is a key point, it is really challenging to schedule "real work" in around your residency requirements. Real work expects you to have some kind of actual control over your schedule, and residency (including, I assume, R3 EM) likes to control your schedule for you. Finding a locum or moonlight situation that is willing to bring you in, grant you privileges, get you oriented, and all that, while allowing you to still put your residency as your #1 priority... that's more tough. Your best chance for that might be in the very place you plan to work when you're done.

Archived