Premed 101 Forums

Hey guy's,

I understand that there is a required amount of direct patient care to become a PA and was just wondering how some of you manage to achieve those hours. I have been considering doing Nursing first because it would allow me to get some of those hours through placement. Has anyone ever heard of anyone doing this?

And just to be sure, what is the exact amount of hours needed with patients in order to be admissible to a PA program here in Canada.

I am looking at doing the same thing. Im nearly halfway through my BScN right now, and am either applying to PA or MD shortly after.

As stated from UofT PA program: "Applicants are required to have experience as a Health Care Professional in good standing with minimum 1680 hours (1 year full-time) of direct patient contact in a professional setting"

I have talked to someone who completed their Psych degree a year before starting (and now having completed) the PA program at McMaster.

Cheers.

Nursing seems like an excellent pre-PA program since nurses basically do the same things PA's do lol.

Yea, no. They have very different roles.

As for the OP, the nursing program would be a great base and fall back plan if you don't get into the PA program (especially as you can go on and get your masters and be self employed and have your practice ~ something PA's can't do).

I think it is around 1,500 hours if memory serves me right but I am sure you can check this somewhere.

I am looking at doing the same thing. Im nearly halfway through my BScN right now, and am either applying to PA or MD shortly after.

As stated from UofT PA program: "Applicants are required to have experience as a Health Care Professional in good standing with minimum 1680 hours (1 year full-time) of direct patient contact in a professional setting"

I have talked to someone who completed their Psych degree a year before starting (and now having completed) the PA program at McMaster.

Cheers.

Have you heard of Medical Schools "frowning" upon nursing applicants? I was once told this is true because they see it as a opportunity lost for someone who would have been a great nurse. Also how do you prove to the PA admission members you have completed the required patient care hours? Thanks

Yea, no. They have very different roles.

As for the OP, the nursing program would be a great base and fall back plan if you don't get into the PA program (especially as you can go on and get your masters and be self employed and have your practice ~ something PA's can't do).

I think it is around 1,500 hours if memory serves me right but I am sure you can check this somewhere.

Thanks for the post. I asked another poster this, but how do you go about proving to the admissions team that you have completed the required patient hours?

Have you heard of Medical Schools "frowning" upon nursing applicants? I was once told this is true because they see it as a opportunity lost for someone who would have been a great nurse. Also how do you prove to the PA admission members you have completed the required patient care hours? Thanks

I have HEARD about that... more about students who tried for their MD, but decided to try for PA instead.

I have a friend who did kinesiology, then BScN, then is doing his MD now. Got in first try at UofT. So i don't think that would restrict someone from the chance of pursuing an MD, and likely the same with PA.

Cheers.

Hi there,

As a second yr PA student, first of all Nurses and PAs have VERY different roles and are not the same in the least. PAs-as you know-are physician extenders and thus extend the services of their physician and mirror their scope of practise and work as a team together. This can include doing history and physicals, writing orders, ordering labs/investigations, doing procedures, diagnosis and prescribing meds.

To answer your question regarding pt contact hours, I know Manitoba does not require this any longer. It is more based off of your application, grades, personality, interview day (MMI/essay/panel interview) and volunteer/work experience. Depending on your past career-if you had one-this could include pt contact hours. You must have an undergrad degree before applying to Manitoba though. Hope this helps! I can't speak for the other programs.

Hi there,

As a second yr PA student, first of all Nurses and PAs have VERY different roles and are not the same in the least. PAs-as you know-are physician extenders and thus extend the services of their physician and mirror their scope of practise and work as a team together. This can include doing history and physicals, writing orders, ordering labs/investigations, doing procedures, diagnosis and prescribing meds.

To answer your question regarding pt contact hours, I know Manitoba does not require this any longer. It is more based off of your application, grades, personality, interview day (MMI/essay/panel interview) and volunteer/work experience. Depending on your past career-if you had one-this could include pt contact hours. You must have an undergrad degree before applying to Manitoba though. Hope this helps! I can't speak for the other programs.

This was very informative. I appreciate you taking the time to write back. Just out of curiosity, what was your major in University? And if you don't mind, would you be able to give some examples of extracurriculars/volunteering you did?

Thanks