Premed 101 Forums

My chance as an international student

Neuro4life

Some more information would be helpful, like GPA, MCAT scores, etc.

Here is the general info from the McGill website:

Anticipated number of seats available for Fall 2013: 4-5

The following pertains to the Fall 2011 entry and is presented simply for reference. It does not offer any predictive validity.

Number of applicants: 143

Number of interviewed candidates: 22

Lowest GPA of interviewed candidates: 3.55

Average GPA of interviewed candidates: 3.76

Average MCAT score (numerical) of interviewed candidates: 33.7

University major : Chemical Engineering

Graduating : 2014 MAY

CGPA : 3.39

MCAT : 22

Research : 3 summers of medical research ( 1 in neurology, 1 biochem, 1 in neurosurgery) Neurosurgery research in anticipation for submission for publication next year.

Work experience : Lab assistant in pharmacology for a year, Patient Attendant for 3 years and counting.

EC : City Senior soccer team, Volunteer at Emerg department at children's hospital, Tutor at 3 different society on campus, food bank.

Lang: fluent in 6 languages including french.

Home language: French

Let me know your thoughts!

Many thanks

future doc, what do you mean by a compelling case of a special circumstance ?

Thanks

Major personal illness (e.g., stroke, heart attack, etc.), working 40+ hours per week to support yourself through school, or something like that. Unfortunately, McGill heavily weighs GPA, and you need to convince them that you CAN achieve a 3.9+ GPA but couldn't do it during undergrad for some huge reason. I would recommend re-writing your MCAT and aiming for a really high score (think 40+) and then trying to re-apply. I don't know if you're interested in studying elsewhere, but there are schools in Canada that are willing to forgive low GPAs for higher MCAT scores. Also, consider doing another degree in Canada, it will open a lot of doors for you. Good luck!

Thanks for the advice. This is what I found on Mcgill's website for international applicants:

Applicants should have a degree grade point average (DegGPA) of 3.5 or greater to be considered competitive. DegGPAs below 3.2 will only be considered in exceptional circumstances. Priority is given to those with higher DegGPAs.

I don't have a CGPA lower than 3.2 so I don't know why I will need to provide them with a special circumstance. Moreover, 3.39 is not my DegGPA.That's my CGPA till 3rd year. I am in 4th year graduating in may. I have lots of room for improvement.

Thanks for the advice. This is what I found on Mcgill's website for international applicants:

Applicants should have a degree grade point average (DegGPA) of 3.5 or greater to be considered competitive. DegGPAs below 3.2 will only be considered in exceptional circumstances. Priority is given to those with higher DegGPAs.

I don't have a CGPA lower than 3.2 so I don't know why I will need to provide them with a special circumstance. Moreover, 3.39 is not my DegGPA. That's my CGPA till 3rd year. I am in 4th year graduating in may. I have lots of room for improvement.

The number suggested on the website is a bare minimum. Remember there are over 100 applicants for the 4-5 international spots, many of whom will have GPA's in the high 3.9 range with MCAT scores well into the 30's. And repeating my information from my original post, for the Fall 2011 cycle the lowest applicant GPA offered an interview was a 3.55.

If you improve significantly in your last year to get your cGPA into the 3.5 range, and get an MCAT score in the high 30's, then you may have a chance, but with a 3.39 and 22 MCAT not so much. Remember, there are many other wonderful medical schools within Canada that have less emphasis on GPA, or have different methods of interpreting GPA; I suggest you also look at your options at these other schools.

I'm afraid people here are right, but there were people admitted this year with the 3.3 range.

The overall average is somewhere in the 3.8+ range.

I don't know who got what in undergrad, no one talks about it and no one cares. But I think that those people admitted with the B-ish averages are

1) Those who did a lot afterwards (Grad degree, workforce, so on)

2) Did massively hard programs.

3) Have truly exceptional circumstances (Refugee, death in family, major illness, so on- not "hard program").

Then again, I don't know.

Go ahead and apply. Do not send your MCAT.

You can do a second undergrad if you're set on med school. In quebec that only takes like 2 years, so thats not bad.

Thanks all.

Yes. I didn't mention that I came to canada from a war country and paid for the high cost of education as an international student by myself for the 1st and 2nd year. Though, In 3rd year I was awarded a full scholarship. Can I mention these things ? (Education is too expensive in canada, I dont want to do a 2nd degree)

Also is Chemical engineering not hard enough to consider my GPA as good ?

While paying for international tuition is pretty rough (so expensive!), I don't know to what extent these reasons will qualify as "extenuating."

It's ridiculous that one ends up in a situation where the "intensity" of a person's hardship becomes relevant when such is so subjective and personal, but that is the game we play. Anyways, you can try and see where it goes but I don't now how much of a boost you'll get from 3.4-3.5 with 22 MCAT (don't submit this MCAT btw).

And yes engineering is a tough degree, but people do come out with 3.9+ and apply to medical school. I think ~0.1-0.2 boost is justified, but 0.4+ boost probably isn't.

If medicine is your ultimate goal, I too vote for a second degree or looking into other schools that are more generous with their evaluation of GPA. McGill is a bit notoriously hard because they look at EVERYTHING!

(But apply anyways. Although the odds are not in your favour, you can't win if you don't even try!)

Thanks Esther!

I will apply with my posted credentials! and Pray hard! I believe in miracles!

Yes, miracles do indeed happen. I am pretty sure however, that you will have to submit your MCAT as an international student, and your score will hurt your chances. The MCAT is useful because it is a ruler that is identical across countries (so if you claim your program is much harder, your MCAT should be as evidence in your favour, not against you). In fact, I am pretty sure (but not positive) that statistics show that with a score of 22 you are at a significant risk of not succeeding in medicine. Even if you don't do a second degree, I strongly recommend re-writing your MCAT, it is much cheaper than getting a degree.

I might seem a little harsh, but the lure of false hope can be strong and very dangerous. I have known a few international students who have had mediocre stats from difficult degrees. They came to Canada with hopes to be a physician and waited many years, applied several times, and after a handful of rejections they gave up and went back to their country or settled for another job. These were not dumb people — in fact, I am sure many of them would have made great doctors. Think of how many years you are willing to burn on this application process before you begin your medical education — which, in itself, is a long process. Look at the accepted/rejected thread in this subforum to give you a context of the statistics of people getting accepted. And, as always, plan for the absolute worst. In all cases though, keep your head high and the best of luck.

Archived