Premed 101 Forums

Nursing New Graduate Guarantee

laladeedee

Just wondering,

Has anyone had experience with the NGG? I've read that after getting accepted by an employer, you work for 6 months under an RN, and then you will be "guaranteed" a job?

I'm fairly certain that you are only guaranteed the 6 months of full-time employment through the NGG. Afterwards, the department can decide whether to offer you a permanent position depending on their staffing needs.

The real benefit of the program is great experience (hopefully), which looks great on an application to another unit which may have an job opening, as well as a 6 month paid orientation (whereas, in some hospitals your regular orientation period is only about a week which can definitely lead to high stress and staffing turnover for a new-graduate nurse).

Just wondering,

Has anyone had experience with the NGG? I've read that after getting accepted by an employer, you work for 6 months under an RN, and then you will be "guaranteed" a job?

I'll tell you how this works since I've been through the process.

First, you apply for a nursing job that is sponsored by Gov's NGG program. It's like applying for any job. Many ppl will apply for that 1 position.

Once you get that job, you have a certain number of months that you are guaranteed to work. After that, nothing is guaranteed.

It's a contract, so you can get fired after that 6 month period.

However, many of my nursing friends got switched to part-time and casual positions.

Btw you aren't guaranteed a job once you graduate. It's only when you get a job that is sponsored by Gov's NGG program, you are guaranteed a job for 6 months.

I'll tell you how this works since I've been through the process.

First, you apply for a nursing job that is sponsored by Gov's NGG program. It's like applying for any job. Many ppl will apply for that 1 position.

Once you get that job, you have a certain number of months that you are guaranteed to work. After that, nothing is guaranteed.

It's a contract, so you can get fired after that 6 month period.

However, many of my nursing friends got switched to part-time and casual positions.

Btw you aren't guaranteed a job once you graduate. It's only when you get a job that is sponsored by Gov's NGG program, you are guaranteed a job for 6 months.

Thanks for your reply. Is the salary the same as a new grad as well? From what I know, you work along with an RN for those 6 months (similar to preceptorship)? Also, do you know if having extracurriculars boost your job opportunities? Such as being on any nursing societies, etc. ?

I'm fairly certain that you are only guaranteed the 6 months of full-time employment through the NGG. Afterwards, the department can decide whether to offer you a permanent position depending on their staffing needs.

The real benefit of the program is great experience (hopefully), which looks great on an application to another unit which may have an job opening, as well as a 6 month paid orientation (whereas, in some hospitals your regular orientation period is only about a week which can definitely lead to high stress and staffing turnover for a new-graduate nurse).

Thanks for your reply. Yep that's what I figured too. I just hope I get something though!

Thanks for your reply. Is the salary the same as a new grad as well? From what I know, you work along with an RN for those 6 months (similar to preceptorship)? Also, do you know if having extracurriculars boost your job opportunities? Such as being on any nursing societies, etc. ?

They may differentiate you from other RN applicants.

I think it's best to try to get a job through your last clinical placement.

You make connections, network with nurses, get to know the manager, and son.

The salary should be the same for new grad. You may get paid a little less during orientation, but it depends on which hospital you are working in.

Right now I believe it's around $29/hour for new grad nurses.

They may differentiate you from other RN applicants.

I think it's best to try to get a job through your last clinical placement.

You make connections, network with nurses, get to know the manager, and son.

The salary should be the same for new grad. You may get paid a little less during orientation, but it depends on which hospital you are working in.

Right now I believe it's around $29/hour for new grad nurses.

I've been told that too. The only thing is that I live in a pretty small city with 2 hospitals. I made the mistake of precepting on the OB unit. I should have precepted on a med-surg floor instead. There is only 1 OB unit in our entire city, and the chances of getting employment there are pretty slim. That's why I was hoping that through the NGG I could perhaps find something in Toronto or a bigger city.

I've been told that too. The only thing is that I live in a pretty small city with 2 hospitals. I made the mistake of precepting on the OB unit. I should have precepted on a med-surg floor instead. There is only 1 OB unit in our entire city, and the chances of getting employment there are pretty slim. That's why I was hoping that through the NGG I could perhaps find something in Toronto or a bigger city.

Well, you'll be competing with new grad RN who did their placement in the areas where they are providing NGG opportunities.

Many already receive their "unofficial" offer prior to sending in the application.

Archived