Premed 101 Forums

Which Accelerated Nursing program is the best?

wallaroo

Hi everyone,

I'm relatively new to the nursing field, so I thought I'd ask for help. A little background:

I'm finishing up my bachelor's this year at Queen's with Life Science major and Psychology minor. I'm applying to both medical school and accelerated nursing programs. I have an okay GPA, around 3.6 I think.

I'm thinking of applying to McMaster, U of T, and Queen's. Do you guys have any idea if there's a "best" program? Or if not, can you tell me a bit about each program to help me decide which is most suitable?

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
From my very shallow knowledge, there have been some disputes whether McMaster's PBL program is the most suitable for a nursing program.

I'm currently a student in Mac's accelerated program and I find PBL to be a very effective method for a nursing program. It takes a bit of time to get used to PBL if you've only experienced lecture style courses (as I was), but once you get past that, you'll realize that it's very valuable to not be spoon fed material as you would in lecture style courses, because so much of nursing is critical thinking! You have to be willing to put in a lot of work and be very dedicated to be in Mac's program, it's very demanding as a lot of the learning is "in your hands" (however, it's worth it!). Plus, not all of the courses are PBL, we have traditional lectures for our science courses such as pathophysiology, pharmacology etc. Just my perspective :)

Archived