Premed 101 Forums

Accelerated Nursing Inquiries

sharpie16

Hi everyone,

I'm currently applying to the fast-track nursing programs at Western, Mac, Toronto, and York and I was wondering if those who have been accepted in previous years would mind sharing the averages/GPAs they held when accepted, as well as any experiences or anything they know about the admissions for those schools. My top two choices are Western and Mac.

Also, if I was unsuccessful in getting in this year, but I have finished my undergrad degree and graduated, would I be able to take a 5th year in September and have those course marks contribute to boosting my GPA even though I am no longer working towards a degree? I emailed the program coordinators but am still awaiting a response, so I figured I'd ask here in case anyone knows.

Thank you!! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Sharpie,

From you list, I applied to Western and Mac's accelerated programs last year and was accepted to both. My cGPA was around 3.62 but much higher if you look at my GPA for my final two years of my undergrad (I believe this is what Western does, not sure about Mac) - my GPA was around 3.85.

I'm currently attending Mac's program (class of 2015), and I completed my BSc at Mac before applying. There are a lot of previous Mac students in my year, I feel that they give first preference to Mac students, but I can't confirm this. However, I do think it is one of the reasons I was accepted so early (the first week of April). Western was a few weeks later.

Unfortunately I don't know if taking additional courses in your 5th year will count toward your GPA, best to contact the schools directly!

Hope that helps :)

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks so much for your reply. And do you know if April is the earliest to hear back for all the schools? And do you know when the latest is?

Hello Sharpie,

From you list, I applied to Western and Mac's accelerated programs last year and was accepted to both. My cGPA was around 3.62 but much higher if you look at my GPA for my final two years of my undergrad (I believe this is what Western does, not sure about Mac) - my GPA was around 3.85.

I'm currently attending Mac's program (class of 2015), and I completed my BSc at Mac before applying. There are a lot of previous Mac students in my year, I feel that they give first preference to Mac students, but I can't confirm this. However, I do think it is one of the reasons I was accepted so early (the first week of April). Western was a few weeks later.

Unfortunately I don't know if taking additional courses in your 5th year will count toward your GPA, best to contact the schools directly!

Hope that helps :)

I got into Mac, Western, and Humber-UNB accelerated programs 2 years ago with an 80% cumulative average in my undergrad (I think 84%ish over the two previous years?). I heard from Mac first (beginning/middle of April), then Western (June), then Humber (July). I did not go to Mac for my undergrad, and to my knowledge they do not favour Mac students. Mac takes your supplementary application into high consideration, Western is purely GPA based.

As far as I know you can still take additional courses that don't count towards a degree, as they are still university level courses, but wait to hear back on that.

Archived