Premed 101 Forums

Competitiveness this Cycle

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From what i gathered in my class and friends in other med schools...

- internal med seems to be quite popular this year

- FM ++

- OBGYN ++

- lot of people are putting anesthesiology as 2nd or 3rd choice

- Peds ++

- Psychiatry ++

- surgical specialities seem to be less popular compared to last year

I'm just wondering if the increase in FM applications across Canada is a true indication of interest in FM, or just a tendency for higher # of programs including FM as backup ...

How can anyone answer that question.....unless some survey existed asking "Are you applying to FM because you are interested or using it as a backup"....but my speculation is the increase in # of applicants is due to the fact that there are alot more IMGs (carribean, europe medical school applicants) plus family med in canada has a competitive salary, less schooling, with tons of "plus one" options....I am a US-medical graduate and my school has a relatively large bunch of canadian medical students and most of us are applying to family because it is the safest way to return back to Canada

Some places that I rotated in (US) were chock full of Canadian carribean medical students and all I talked to are applying to either peds or family because maybe they perceive it also as the safest way to return home.

From what i gathered in my class and friends in other med schools...

- internal med seems to be quite popular this year

- FM ++

- OBGYN ++

- lot of people are putting anesthesiology as 2nd or 3rd choice

- Peds ++

- Psychiatry ++

- surgical specialities seem to be less popular compared to last year

How is this accurate at all?? No one will be able to assess the true "competitiveness" until we get some hard stats in next year's carms report... You go into a specialty because you are passionate about it and you are qualified....if competition is a deterrent for you then i don't know how to help you...

Instead of waiting for stats to be released next year, which become useless for this year's applicants, people can assess competitiveness using confirmation from programs about number of applications received.

It's a way to determine competitiveness by proxy. Not perfect, but it's the best way we have at the moment.

How is this accurate at all?? No one will be able to assess the true "competitiveness" until we get some hard stats in next year's carms report... You go into a specialty because you are passionate about it and you are qualified....if competition is a deterrent for you then i don't know how to help you...

How is this accurate at all?? No one will be able to assess the true "competitiveness" until we get some hard stats in next year's carms report...

+1

The only way we can assess the competitveness is with the Carms stats that should be published next year and will reflect the current matching process.

It is not meant to be accurate, it's just to give us an idea. Not that it will change my mind on applying or not in the speciality, but some people might decide to add applications to back-up programs if the competitiveness seems high. Also, it helps in managing our stress.

The only data we have at this point is the initial quotas from CaRMS, which don't appear to have changed much in any specialty from last year. More importantly, the overall quotas haven't increased from last year, when the quota-to-applicant ratio was at it's lowest in 10+ years. Since I don't believe the number of graduating CMGs has dropped, that should mean that in terms of overall competitiveness, this year should be a least as competitive as last year, though that says nothing about the competitiveness of individual specialties.

• 2 weeks later...

it's such a weird feeling... getting invites from my dream programs, but quiet rejections from my "backup" programs :S

anyone else in same situation?

Are you a CMG or IMG.....and what are you applying into....so far haven't heard back from one of my backups....and it is still very early in the game - most programs like IM haven't even released anything yet

I worked at a private office in Toronto full of IMGs (5) many have not received anything at this point (Family) which was the same scenario as last year.....so in my experience IMGs being rejected is not out of the ordinary

Calm down there. I know Emerg is always competitive. Sorry, I meant to say, anecdotally it seems more competitive this year than last.

lol I am calm, that wasn't meant as a rude how do you know more of a literal what is your anecdotal "evidence." aka if you're a resident I'd be more inclined to believe you whereas if you're another student then meh cuz we are all blind and full of it at this stage. 

Archived