Premed 101 Forums

General Surgery Electives

Hey guys,

Anyone out there in gen surg or just go through the CaRMS process for it?

I am starting to get my ducks in a row for 4th year and am hoping for some elective advice. I am hoping to do at least a couple OOP electives, probably 1 in Alberta, 1 (at least) Ontario, and potentially Dal (and at UBC obviously :) )

Anyone have advice for electives at:

1)U of C

2)U of A

3)Ottawa

4)McMaster

5)Dalhousie

I know generally which ones sound interesting, but I definitely don't know which have good preceptors, good reference letter writers, etc.

I know these posts are always boring for everyone not prepping for 4th year but any insight would be GREATLY appreciated.

Friends of mine in Gen Surg who undertook electives at Dal recommend the experience. They said they got a lot of hands-on exposure and face time w/ residents and staff I believe. Anecdotally I've heard its a strong Gen surg program w/ lots of OR time.

I can't really comment on the others unfortunately.

Hi there,

Currently doing the gen surg tour. Good choice of electives. I would highly recommend doing an elective at Ottawa since this year they were notorious for not giving interviews to people who did not do electives.

Only do electives at schools you are interested in going to. I made the mistake of doing an elective somewhere I was not interested in going to just for the sake of "covering my bases", but that time could have been used elsewhere where I would actually enjoy going.

Great elective experience at Mac and okay experience at Calgary (depends a lot on who you work with). Ottawa is great for electives as well. Heard excellent things about Dal and U of A. Also, are you from UBC? Because they generally take their own so make sure to invest time there if you want to match.

No University of Toronto electives? Not that you have to, but likely will not get interview.

Send me a PM and can tell you some good preceptors to work with for solid references.

Thanks both for you responses! Sent you a PM med88

I don't really want much to do with Toronto... I always hear great academics but less hands on time. I want it the other way around. I am interested in community gen sx and want tons of hands on time.

I will definitely be spending time at UBC (Yes, like Toronto it is also a bit more academic than the others, but geography factors in too :) )

Archived