Premed 101 Forums

MAJOR problem with spring CCFP exam, please help

meshuga3

Hi, I'm just becoming aware of what may be a major problem with my application for the spring 2014 CCFP exam. I'm wondering if others may have had the same experience and if anyone has any advice.

I graduated from a US med school. I found out in late December, via an email from physiciansapply, I believe, that applications were open for the spring CCFP exam. I immediately logged in and went through the application process, whereupon I discovered I'd have to submit my diploma from the US med school for verification. OK. I did that, immediately -- it was off to physicians apply in early January. They'd failed to acknowledge it by mid-Jan, so I called, and they said, "Oh yeah, we've got it."

Then I checked back into the site today and discovered 3 weeks later, it still isn't verified -- this despite the fact that I did as they initially suggested when submitting it by indicating "FOR THE SPRING 2014 FM EXAM!"

They tell me they have a 4-6 week delay in processing documents, THEN they have to send those documents to the US agency that then sends them to my school that then sends confirmation to physiciansapply, that then sends verification of confirmation to the CFPC...

The deadline for document approval by the CFPC is March 6th, or else I miss the spring exam.

I can't possibly see this all coming together by then.

I am at a complete loss... it seems ridiculous -- I'm completely anal retentive and on top of everything. I literally did everything as fast as it was asked of me (maybe a day's delay here or there, but nothing more). How is it possible I could not have this done in time to sit the exam? I feel like throwing up.

Anyone else in the same boat? Any advice?

Hi, I'm just becoming aware of what may be a major problem with my application for the spring 2014 CCFP exam. I'm wondering if others may have had the same experience and if anyone has any advice.

I graduated from a US med school. I found out in late December, via an email from physiciansapply, I believe, that applications were open for the spring CCFP exam. I immediately logged in and went through the application process, whereupon I discovered I'd have to submit my diploma from the US med school for verification. OK. I did that, immediately -- it was off to physicians apply in early January. They'd failed to acknowledge it by mid-Jan, so I called, and they said, "Oh yeah, we've got it."

Then I checked back into the site today and discovered 3 weeks later, it still isn't verified -- this despite the fact that I did as they initially suggested when submitting it by indicating "FOR THE SPRING 2014 FM EXAM!"

They tell me they have a 4-6 week delay in processing documents, THEN they have to send those documents to the US agency that then sends them to my school that then sends confirmation to physiciansapply, that then sends verification of confirmation to the CFPC...

The deadline for document approval by the CFPC is March 6th, or else I miss the spring exam.

I can't possibly see this all coming together by then.

I am at a complete loss... it seems ridiculous -- I'm completely anal retentive and on top of everything. I literally did everything as fast as it was asked of me (maybe a day's delay here or there, but nothing more). How is it possible I could not have this done in time to sit the exam? I feel like throwing up.

Anyone else in the same boat? Any advice?

Worst-case scenario: you sit the fall exam because the MCC is slow, pedantic and uptight. Not your fault.

Life will go on in the meantime, yes?

All my documents in MCC were verified, certified, etc and when things "moved" to the new bureaucratic agency called physiciansapply I noticed some items were pending. I sent a message in Sept 2013 and received a reply everything was OK.

yesterday I had a similar email to yours. I phoned them and they asked me to make sure all docs in physiciansapply were shared with ccfp. They were in MCC but when I looked, my degree was not shared with ccfp in physiciansapply. I clicked the box, phoned them back and they stated that they can now view my degree and life is maybe good again. I have not had good experience with documents with any of the government or medical organizations so I've requested a confirming email that all is OK.

Good luck

It's also awesome how I got to pay $200 or whatever it was for the ECFMG, an American organization operating in the US, to verify my american med degree. They're not even a Canadian company; their principle line of work is verifying foreign medical degrees for work in the US.

Thanks for everyone's advice. What a bunch of nonsense.

I wish I could get a job riding a desk at one of these credential verification places. Mcc , minc , ccfp, every college they all ask for the same damn papers over and over again. What the hell are they checking?

My personal favourite was giving $600 to the Royal College so that they could confirm that I had attended medical school and was in the last year of my residency. That information has already been collected and verified by my provincial college of physicians and surgeons, and is *publicly available* on their website. It ought to take 15, maybe 30 seconds of work to check it.

Don't even get me started on the MCC...

The process is ridiculous.

If the purpose of this verification process is actually verify your medical degree then there is absolutely no reason that the far more sane and efficient process that the CPSO or your residency program used to verify your medical degree directly from your school.

I'm still trying to work around this. They need to realize that for most, the first they hear of needing this verification is signing up for the exam, which even if done on the first possible opportunity (Dec 2) is still not enough time to get this slow as molasses verification process done.

I've contacted my site director as well as the responsible admin staff at my school. If they need to escalate and get the Program Director involved, so be it - hopefully getting the power of your program's administration on the case will help.

The fact that an American med school grad applying for license and doing his residency outside America in Canada has to get his degree verified through the ECFMG (an organization for medical school grads from outside America for license and residency in America) makes no sense, you are literally the exact opposite of the group that organization was built to represent.

update, just because I'm still furious.

I contacted my program admin as advised -- thanks!

I contacted ECFMG, the US organization that does the verifying. MCC (physiciansapply) says they can't comment on how long ECFMG takes to turn documents around once received in the US. ECFMG says they can't answer any questions about any part of the application process if the applicant is a candidate for the MCC. When pressed -- "MCC says they cannot answer this question, can you" regarding processing times in the US -- they say "No. You have to contact the MCC."

End of story. No one, it seems, can answer a simple question about processing times.

I say again: What a bunch of nonsense.

Archived