Premed 101 Forums

CMEs in medical school

Not sure about Royal College residencies, but for family medicine, there is no requirement for CME/conferences. You will get some funding/protected conference leave time to attend events if you so choose. The idea is that you are still being actively educated. CME is more for people in practice so that they can keep abreast of the latest developments.

Do keep your CME credits in residency, as some of them can be applied towards your first year of practice. Again, I am not sure if it's the same for Royal College residencies. I already met the MainPro-C requirements for my first year of practice by the middle of R1. Anything extra past the 15 or whatever credits they allow will not transfer into the future.

Not sure about Royal College residencies, but for family medicine, there is no requirement for CME/conferences. You will get some funding/protected conference leave time to attend events if you so choose. The idea is that you are still being actively educated. CME is more for people in practice so that they can keep abreast of the latest developments.

Do keep your CME credits in residency, as some of them can be applied towards your first year of practice. Again, I am not sure if it's the same for Royal College residencies. I already met the MainPro-C requirements for my first year of practice by the middle of R1. Anything extra past the 15 or whatever credits they allow will not transfer into the future.

At the current time, CME hours gained in specialty residencies cannot be applied towards the first year of practice, but they are changing this. Within the next year we may be able to bank the hours as family medicine residents can.

At the current time, CME hours gained in specialty residencies cannot be applied towards the first year of practice, but they are changing this. Within the next year we may be able to bank the hours as family medicine residents can.

Residents have been able to bank CME hours since last summer. See below.

OP: I don't think you can record activities from CME events in med school, but I'm not sure.

Effective July 1, 2013, Royal College Resident Affiliates who document learning activities in the Royal College’s MAINPORT system during their residency program can transfer up to 75 credits (25 in each of the MAINPORT categories of Group Learning, Self-Learning and Assessment) into their first five-year MOC cycle following certification. Credits may be earned for any learning activity included within the MOC Program’s framework including learning activities residents complete as part of a residency program (for example, conferences, rounds, etc.).

We would appreciate your assistance in informing your residents of this important change, for example by forwarding this message to residents, or posting the attached flyer in a common area.

How does this benefit residents?

By becoming a Royal College Resident Affiliate and documenting CPD activities in MAINPORT, residents will get a head start on accumulating MOC credits that will become crucial for annual re-licensure once they enter professional practice.

Participation in the MOC Program is mandatory for all Fellows, who are required to complete a minimum of 40 credits per year and 400 credits over a five-year cycle. Most provincial Medical Regulatory Authorities in Canada now require participation in the MOC Program or other recognized continuing professional development program as a condition of licensure.

Joining now will not only let residents accumulate MOC credits, but will also give them access to various other benefits, including awards and grants, volunteer opportunities and discounts on CanMEDS and other resources. Visit the Royal College website to learn more.

How do your residents get started?

Residents can join the Royal College free of charge as Resident Affiliates by completing the simple online application form. Residents may join in any year of their residency program. Once registered, they’ll receive information on how to take advantage of the MOC program and MAINPORT. Residents can visit the Royal College website or contact residentaffiliate@royalcollege.ca to learn more.

Your assistance in spreading awareness of this important policy change is greatly appreciated.

Yours sincerely,

Christine James

Associate Director, Membership Services & Programs

Archived