Premed 101 Forums

OT/PT Accepted/Wait listed/Rejected 2014

Applied: McGill, Queens, UOttawa, UofA (all OT)

Accepted: UOttawa!

Waitlisted: UofA

Rejected: Queens, McGill

GPA: cum: 3.41 sub: 3.54

Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references: UOttawa doesn't have essays or references, so I guess my interview went well despite french being my second language! Super excited to go to Ottawa!!

No they use the references, they mention in the booklet that references can be submitted in french for Ottawa U, but the other school have to have english references.

But congrats!

Applied: UofT, McMaster, Western, U of M, U of A (all OT)

Accepted:

Waitlisted: Western (middle third), U of A (no idea), McMaster (far ranked)

Rejected: Queens

sGPA: 3.68

I haven't heard anything back just yet for U of M. I am hoping to get into U of M so at least I won't have to worry about my fall plans.

Does anyone know approximately how many people from the waitlist are accepted to Western and U of A? Those are my two top choices and I really want to know what my chances are.

I heard there wasn't much wait list movement at western last year...can anyone else confirm?

Time Stamps: 12:04 am (McMaster), 12:01 am (U of T), 11:03 am (Queen's - May 14th)

Applied: Queen's, McMaster, and U of T (all PT)

Accepted: McMaster and U of T

Waitlisted: N/A

Rejected: Queen's

SubGPA: 3.99 cumGPA: 3.79

Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references: I thought my references were strong. One from my undergrad research project supervisor and one from the principal at one of the schools I work at. I thought my essays for Queen's were decent, but it's tough for me to judge that objectively. As far as interviews go, I thought the CAP went all right (but not amazingly), but I felt very good about my MMI performance at Mac.

To those not accepted or those wait listed with a high number, please don't throw in the towel. I have been rejected for the past 3 years from professional schools. Just think really critically and honestly about what you need to do to improve. It will take tons of patience and perseverance, but it can be done. Stay the course!

I started a Facebook group for McMaster OT :) So excited to meet everyone in September!!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/235172883357075/

Hey congrats to you! There is usually an "official" FB page put together by the 2nd year students as it provides updates on orientation etc. At least that's how it is at Queen's. I would check with Mac and see if someone is already developing it just so people don't get confused on where they should go for info :-)

Hey congrats to you! There is usually an "official" FB page put together by the 2nd year students as it provides updates on orientation etc. At least that's how it is at Queen's. I would check with Mac and see if someone is already developing it just so people don't get confused on where they should go for info :-)

Did not realize this...haha! I searched Facebook and didn't see one...I guess I'll delete it then. Thanks!

Would anyone who got admitted into U of T or Queens be willing to take a quick look at my personal statements and give me some feedback? I'm trying to figure out why I didn't even get waitlisted at either school and, unless I did something wrong, it must come down to my written submissions or one of my references. My GPA was high enough to get me into Western.

I'd really appreciate the help since the schools say we can't follow up with them.

Thanks!

Would anyone who got admitted into U of T or Queens be willing to take a quick look at my personal statements and give me some feedback? I'm trying to figure out why I didn't even get waitlisted at either school and, unless I did something wrong, it must come down to my written submissions or one of my references. My GPA was high enough to get me into Western.

I'd really appreciate the help since the schools say we can't follow up with them.

Thanks!

feel free to PM them to me, I got into both

Thanks!

Hey, I'm not sure about OT at Queens, but for PT you can email/call them after June 15th to know more about why you did not get in. Feel free to PM me and I'll see if I can help in any way.

Applied: UBC, UofA, UofT, Queen's, Western, McMaster (all OT)
Accepted: UBC, UofA, UofT
Waitlisted: Queen's
Rejected: Western, McMaster (got offered interview but didn't go)
subGPA: 3.63
cumGPA: 3.34
300/400-level GPA: 82% (UBC)

I will be attending UBC, as I have already accepted the offer :)

Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references: I think my essay was good for UofA, since I packed it full of all my ECs and experiences. I think my essay for UofA was the most well-written among all my applications this year. Surprised I got rejected for Western to be honest, since I thought my GPA would be good enough to make the cut-off this year (based on the cut-off last year). I don't feel so bad though because from what I can see in this thread, the GPA cut-off seems to have increased quite a bit.. Would be curious to know what it is now. UBC had already accepted me by the time McMaster extended their interview offer, so I didn't attend. Queen's is a bit of a wild-card so I wasn't getting my hopes up for an acceptance there.

My interview went pretty well for UBC; I think I answered all the questions pretty strongly and thorougly, except for just one or two, so I think it demonstrated my knowledge about OT as a profession. I also had a wide range of ECs to draw my answers from, which I think showed during my interview. I'm very very lucky (and happy!) to be going into UBC, considering this year was my first time applying for OT anywhere. I wasn't even going to apply last year at this time, but I'm glad I did!