Premed 101 Forums

time line 2nd iteration

so is everything suppose to be completed by March 13? And between March 13 and by March 27 the programs reviews your application and omehow arranges an interview as well if they're interested? So having all my LOR done by March 13 is best I assume?

Yep, that sounds about right.

Thanks for posting - surprised at the open spots in anesthesia/ENT/ophtho/urology!

always seems to be some randomness with that sort of thing. ha - always interesting trying to figure out why there are a few spots left in things competitive.

Worse I know some people who didn't match into those fields but applied broadly - that has to hurt a bit. IMG does play a role of course.

always seems to be some randomness with that sort of thing. ha - always interesting trying to figure out why there are a few spots left in things competitive.

Worse I know some people who didn't match into those fields but applied broadly - that has to hurt a bit. IMG does play a role of course.

Randomness? Or errors in the match?

Randomness? Or errors in the match?

not errors :) - just that the number/quality of the applicants vary and sometimes some spots don't get filled as a result. Some of the competitive fields only have a relative handful of people applying so a few more or less applying can have dramatic looking effects.

Does the list of open positions after R1 from below correspond to how many are available for R2?

https://www.carms.ca/Rs_62Tv/Wn2R36_1OverviewByDiscipline_EN.pdf

I notice that some programs with positions left over in R1 are not listed in the list of programs in R2:

https://phx.e-carms.ca/phoenix-web/pd/main?mitid=1181

A little confused. Thanks.

edit: oops, the 2nd link I realize refers to 2013 R2... nevermind! :)

not errors :) - just that the number/quality of the applicants vary and sometimes some spots don't get filled as a result. Some of the competitive fields only have a relative handful of people applying so a few more or less applying can have dramatic looking effects.

wouldn't agree with that since when there are 400 IMG applicants for 6 spots and you choose to rank only a part from ...let's say 40 interviewed, its hard to make a difference between the 20th and the 21st on the list... IMO

but I quite agree with the tactics of adcoms (to keep some spots free for an eventual CMG that would be in need in the second round) even if it would seem like Identification with the agressor...

I have a question - is that right that you can't apply in the second round to programs to which you applied in the first round and didn't get an interview?

or it depends on the program

thanks

wouldn't agree with that since when there are 400 IMG applicants for 6 spots and you choose to rank only a part from ...let's say 40 interviewed, its hard to make a difference between the 20th and the 21st on the list... IMO

but I quite agree with the tactics of adcoms (to keep some spots free for an eventual CMG that would be in need in the second round) even if it would seem like Identification with the agressor...

I have a question - is that right that you can't apply in the second round to programs to which you applied in the first round and didn't get an interview?

thanks

never heard of that rule before. I don't know what your chances would be if you were "rejected" preinterview before but I don't think there is a structural barrier to applying that way(?)

thanks

Part of the problem with IMG spots in Ontario is that they are pure politics. The government dictates how many spots of IMG a university must take. The university distributes them to the programs. Certain universities (I won't name them) distribute the IMG spots to a large number of programs without regard for their ability to train extra people. For example, if you have 2 residents a year and that's all you can handle to train, adding a 3rd person majorly effects training. But the universities don't care because they get political pressure. As a result, some programs do not fill the IMG spots to protect their own program, but it shows up because in the universities mind it exists. Those IMG spots are never filled

You can apply again for a program that declined an interview for you in the first round but I would be very very surprised if they took you. If they liked you enough to consider taking you, they would have interviewed you.

Part of the problem with IMG spots in Ontario is that they are pure politics. The government dictates how many spots of IMG a university must take. The university distributes them to the programs. Certain universities (I won't name them) distribute the IMG spots to a large number of programs without regard for their ability to train extra people. For example, if you have 2 residents a year and that's all you can handle to train, adding a 3rd person majorly effects training. But the universities do to care because they get political pressure. As a result, some programs do not fill the IMG spots to protect their own program, but it shows up because in the universities mind it exists. Those IMG spots are never filled

You can apply again for a program that declined an interview for you in the first round but I would be very very surprised if they took you. If they liked you enough to consider taking you, they would have interviewed you.

that's what I think about, certainly there is no technical barrier to apply, but it makes no sense to waste those 30$...only for a temporary psychological confort,

Thanks rmorelan and NLengr

Is anyone else surprised by the unfilled Ophtho spot at Dal?

There are quite a few surprises...

For me, what was most surprising is that there was only 1 unfilled Rad Onc spot... historically, there have been a lot more (I think 6-7 over the past few years). Looks like a popular year for Rad Onc, will be interesting when the stats come out.

The number of rads spots unfilled is quite surprising as well.

Archived