Premed 101 Forums

time line 2nd iteration

Im just a premed but I am very curious about this process/thread.

This may be a stupid question... how come there are unmatched competitive spots (i.e. there is a mcmaster neurosurgery spot)? as well as unmatched CMG medical grads (since its p/f in most Canadian med schools)?

and what is the difference between competitive and regular?

Im just a premed but I am very curious about this process/thread.

This may be a stupid question... how come there are unmatched competitive spots (i.e. there is a mcmaster neurosurgery spot)? as well as unmatched CMG medical grads (since its p/f in most Canadian med schools)?

and what is the difference between competitive and regular?

first off neurosurgery isn't that competitive - there are no jobs in that field right now so that has a big impact on things.

As for why there are umatched spots there are tons of reasons potentially and really not that important to know early on. On the basic level it is just like a job interview, sometimes you just don't find someone you want to work with for the next 5 years or the people you do want matched somewhere else. There isn't always a great need to actually fill every spot in something competitive from the schools point of view. There are "phantom positions" as well - spots that the school is compelled to advertise but don't actually want to fill (trying residents is often hard work). Anyway just some of the reasons but not really something worry about :)

Im still very new to this carms process, but i wonder how come there are still spots open in fields such as EM and Opt? Is it simply because no one applied? would that mean if someone applied and they were the only person left for an open spot they would "automatically" get the position?

Im still very new to this carms process, but i wonder how come there are still spots open in fields such as EM and Opt? Is it simply because no one applied? would that mean if someone applied and they were the only person left for an open spot they would "automatically" get the position?

Often times, programs do not rank all their applicants. If they don't see you as a fit for the next 5 years, they won't risk having you match to their program.

Some spots are intentionally left unmatched, as programs would rather take their chance with a better candidate in the second round or rather not have anyone match to it at all.

Basically the answer is no. You wouldn't automatically get the position.

Is anyone else surprised by the unfilled Ophtho spot at Dal?

I wonder what the competition is like for a spot like that in the second round. I personally know there are at least 3 unmatched applicants who applied to ophthalmology first round and were not invited for an interview there.

Archived