Premed 101 Forums

Pioneering Ontario clinic hopes to make naturopathy mainstream

ploughboy

Yikes. Besides, treatments that naturopaths deliver that are evidence-based can be delivered by other health professionals who are better qualified to deliver those types of treatments.

For example, acupuncture is commonly administered by physiotherapists/physical therapists who have been trained in acupuncture. I've worked with physios who use acupuncture and they admit that while they don't know why it works, the research has demonstrated that it does work, we just don't understand the mechanism behind it yet.

Additionally, nutritional advice can be given by registered dietitians. There's been a huge push to incorporate dietitians into primary care, and in Ontario they work in Family Health Teams, delivering evidence-based nutrition advice (as opposed to the nutrition advice from naturopaths, which may not be evidence-based).

So I'd prefer to see more physical therapists and dietitians working to help individuals deal with health problems that can be addressed through acupuncture and dietary advice. Those professions are evidence-based.

Yikes. Besides, treatments that naturopaths deliver that are evidence-based can be delivered by other health professionals who are better qualified to deliver those types of treatments.

For example, acupuncture is commonly administered by physiotherapists/physical therapists who have been trained in acupuncture. I've worked with physios who use acupuncture and they admit that while they don't know why it works, the research has demonstrated that it does work, we just don't understand the mechanism behind it yet.

Additionally, nutritional advice can be given by registered dietitians. There's been a huge push to incorporate dietitians into primary care, and in Ontario they work in Family Health Teams, delivering evidence-based nutrition advice (as opposed to the nutrition advice from naturopaths, which may not be evidence-based).

So I'd prefer to see more physical therapists and dietitians working to help individuals deal with health problems that can be addressed through acupuncture and dietary advice. Those professions are evidence-based.

I completely agree with you. I think Physios need to be able to take on a more primary care role. I feel that a lot of opinions of physio is formed by what Drs and nurses see them doing in hospital which 90% of the time is not skilled care. Physios especially with advanced training are on par with orthopaedic surgeons at diagnosing MSK issues. I think it would take a huge burden off of GPs who do not have the same MSK training if people could have access to physio in a primary health care role if they have suffered and MSK injury. Going to your GP to get a script for PT is a huge waste of money and time.

http://ww2.nationalpost.com/m/wp/blog.html?b=fullcomment.nationalpost.com/2014/02/26/jonathan-kay-ontario-shouldnt-be-legitimizing-naturopathic-medicine

My favorite quote from the above link:

What’s worse, this being Canada, it is only a matter of time before government is called upon to fully fund naturopathic pseudoscience as if it were legitimate medicine. As things now stand, Canadians generally must pay out-of-pocket for their needles, chelation treatments, weird colon cleanses, iris readings, and brainwave-changing gadgets. But if governments and hospitals promote the notion that this nonsense actually works, why*wouldn’t*advocates claim that it falls under the Canada Health Act, along with dialysis and chemotherapy?

The government loves the idea because in their minds it offers the potential of shifting some health care costs directly into the patient's pocket. They could care less if the "treatments" work or not.

Unfortunately, getting unqualified people ordering lab tests, expensive imaging (U/S isn't cheap) and medications (some of which will be covered by the province) will likely cost ON more than they save.

I always love the 7 years of post secondary line. 3 years undergrad, then 4 years of naturopath school (which I wouldn't really call high quality education).

I always love the 7 years of post secondary line. 3 years undergrad, then 4 years of naturopath school (which I wouldn't really call high quality education).

That is done for every profession tho, its always stated a GP has 10 years of education, ya they do, but 4 of them are any undergrad, 4 are med school and 2 are residency.

That is done for every profession tho, its always stated a GP has 10 years of education, ya they do, but 4 of them are any undergrad, 4 are med school and 2 are residency.

Yeah but family docs have 10 years of real schooling. It's not 4 years undergrad, then 4 years of sketchy school.

I don't think that duration of education is the deciding factor when determining equivalency of skill-set. And I know you aren't saying that it is, I am just further making a point at how it's a silly measure of competency.

I was an SLP before medicine. I could argue that it took me 7 years to be an SLP surely I know as much as an MD. It's not the case. And when you consider the hours of training an MD puts in compared to allied health, really even if the years are equivalent in duration the number of hours put in is not.

I have physios and nurses finishing residency with me this year. We would all agree that neither of these professions has the same knowledge-base as a physician. I think duration of education would be a poor way to judge legitimacy and competency of naturopaths.

I have physios and nurses finishing residency with me this year. We would all agree that neither of these professions has the same knowledge-base as a physician. I think duration of education would be a poor way to judge legitimacy and competency of naturopaths.

Obviously nurses and physios dont have the same knowledge base as a physician, and a physician doesn't have the same knowledge base as a physio (I can only speak for). My friends that are MDs know 1/100 of what I know about MSK related things and I know 1/100 of what they know about pharmacology and internal medicine etc.

Archived