Premed 101 Forums

Feeling discouraged...advice!?

Hey everyone,

I came back to Ottawa U to do 2 full time years so I can apply to med school and so far Ive been doing great - balancing 3 nursing jobs and volunteering and full-time studies, managed to get 3.95 last year overall and 3.975 last semester...this is supposed to be my last semester...unfortunately I am taking an elective psych class which I thought I would do well in and the prof warned us before the midterm it was very hard to get a good grade but I was confident I could and I studied very hard. Well today I got my mark back and I got a 63 - never in all my years of studying have I received a grade this low :( Im incredibly upset and worried it's going to ruin my WGPA and chances for admission to U of O. Has anyone been in a situation like this and is there any way of being able to do extra assignments etc? I've never had this happen before but I'm not sure what to say to the prof...

Any advice would be great...

Hey everyone,

I came back to Ottawa U to do 2 full time years so I can apply to med school and so far Ive been doing great - balancing 3 nursing jobs and volunteering and full-time studies, managed to get 3.95 last year overall and 3.975 last semester...this is supposed to be my last semester...unfortunately I am taking an elective psych class which I thought I would do well in and the prof warned us before the midterm it was very hard to get a good grade but I was confident I could and I studied very hard. Well today I got my mark back and I got a 63 - never in all my years of studying have I received a grade this low :( Im incredibly upset and worried it's going to ruin my WGPA and chances for admission to U of O. Has anyone been in a situation like this and is there any way of being able to do extra assignments etc? I've never had this happen before but I'm not sure what to say to the prof...

Any advice would be great...

Explain your situation to the professor perhaps? In my experience some profs are really understanding when it comes to issues like this, but others couldn't care less. Might be worth dropping the course if you don't think you'll come out of it with a good grade.

Yea this is why I really dislike Ottawa's sky high GPA cutoff. It had no buffer room for stuff like this. As the poster above me said, talk to the prof and consider dropping if possible. Otherwise, suck it up and try to nail the final, but the bottom line, some courses just make near-perfect grades impractical.

Well done over the last two years. Even if Ottawa is so unforgiving, other medical schools are not.

It happened with me as well… EXACT same situation in Lifespan development class… I got a bad grade in my midterm so I dropped the class and took another one in summer… its better than keeping it (you don't know what to expect for the final)… best of luck !

Firstly, I am sorry to hear about this situation. I am not sure if this is make of break for you. Have you applied this year/have you gotten an interview?

Explain your situation to the professor perhaps? In my experience some profs are really understanding when it comes to issues like this, but others couldn't care less. Might be worth dropping the course if you don't think you'll come out of it with a good grade.

+1 - Good advice

Yea this is why I really dislike Ottawa's sky high GPA cutoff. It had no buffer room for stuff like this. As the poster above me said, talk to the prof and consider dropping if possible. Otherwise, suck it up and try to nail the final, but the bottom line, some courses just make near-perfect grades impractical.

Well done over the last two years. Even if Ottawa is so unforgiving, other medical schools are not.

Terrible advice -1

Here's why

1. You 'dislike Ottawa's sky high GPA cutoff': I understand that the higher the GPA cut off, the harder it might be to get an interview. But the fact of the matter is, out of 3804 applicants last year, 1555 made the cut off, so it's clearly not too high. Regardless of what school you apply to, there will be something that makes it harder than the other. I.e. uoT - GPA, western VR + BS, mac - VR, Queens - MCAT 33+ (or so it would appear), NOSM GPA + Rural subjectivity.

2. "Suck it up" - not really the optimistic personality of a team player. Collaboration in medicine is HUGE, and it's important to facilitate others rather than tell them to quit their whining.

It happened with me as well… EXACT same situation in Lifespan development class… I got a bad grade in my midterm so I dropped the class and took another one in summer… its better than keeping it (you don't know what to expect for the final)… best of luck !

Context depending, but good advice!! +1

Thanks everyone! Im going to talk to the prof - unfortunately dropping is not an option since I only take 4 courses per semester and 2 in the summers, my schedule is too crazy for 5 courses. Ugh! Wish me luck!

I hope the talk goes well with your prof! If not, try to get the overall mark to 75+.

This will get you to a 3.3 (most of the time) on the OMSAS scale. If you get 4.0s in all your other courses you're left with a 3.825 this semester. Combine this with the 3.975 from last semester and you're looking at a 3.9 this year. People got interviews this year with a GPA like that.

Hope this works out for you!

Best,

GP

Firstly, I am sorry to hear about this situation. I am not sure if this is make of break for you. Have you applied this year/have you gotten an interview?

+1 - Good advice

Terrible advice -1

Here's why

1. You 'dislike Ottawa's sky high GPA cutoff': I understand that the higher the GPA cut off, the harder it might be to get an interview. But the fact of the matter is, out of 3804 applicants last year, 1555 made the cut off, so it's clearly not too high. Regardless of what school you apply to, there will be something that makes it harder than the other. I.e. uoT - GPA, western VR + BS, mac - VR, Queens - MCAT 33+ (or so it would appear), NOSM GPA + Rural subjectivity.

2. "Suck it up" - not really the optimistic personality of a team player. Collaboration in medicine is HUGE, and it's important to facilitate others rather than tell them to quit their whining.

Context depending, but good advice!! +1

I hope the talk goes well with your prof! If not, try to get the overall mark to 75+.

This will get you to a 3.3 (most of the time) on the OMSAS scale. If you get 4.0s in all your other courses you're left with a 3.825 this semester. Combine this with the 3.975 from last semester and you're looking at a 3.9 this year. People got interviews this year with a GPA like that.

Hope this works out for you!

Best,

GP

Thanks so much!!! I appreciate everyone's advice. The prof was receptive and open to offering the class an extra credit assignment so I hope it works out and I can at least finish with A-. Fingers crossed!

Hello everyone !

So I saw all the advice on the course, I just had a question regarding Ottawa's full load sessions. I am in third year B.Sc psych but did not take biochem this year since I thought I could take it next year ( if I have to continue my B.Sc, hopefully not since I would love to start with UO med next year).Instead, I took mineral chem, wich is also a prerequisite. So the thing is, I am not sure to be able to do my honours next year, I have been told I would have to add a year to my B.Sc and then be considered part-time. Is is true that at Ottawa, if you go from full-time to part-time, you have to wait 3 years to re-apply ?? I heard this a couple of times and did not read it myself anywhere, help ?

Thanks !

Hello everyone !

So I saw all the advice on the course, I just had a question regarding Ottawa's full load sessions. I am in third year B.Sc psych but did not take biochem this year since I thought I could take it next year ( if I have to continue my B.Sc, hopefully not since I would love to start with UO med next year).Instead, I took mineral chem, wich is also a prerequisite. So the thing is, I am not sure to be able to do my honours next year, I have been told I would have to add a year to my B.Sc and then be considered part-time. Is is true that at Ottawa, if you go from full-time to part-time, you have to wait 3 years to re-apply ?? I heard this a couple of times and did not read it myself anywhere, help ?

Thanks !

I have never heard this, and I'm sure it would be stated explicitly on the website if this were the case. The only issue would be that you cannot use the part-time study year(s) for your WGPA but otherwise I don't believe there is an issue...

I am not even sure you 'have' to become part time. In my last year I took 6 courses, 3 both semesters; this is considered to be a full time student, but my 4th year was not used to calculate my wGPA.

I think you'll be fine, and if you're really concerned, just take some electives and become full time!

GP

Thanks ! I will hope my letter to the director of the department will allow me to do my honours if I have to do it next year :P

I am not even sure you 'have' to become part time. In my last year I took 6 courses, 3 both semesters; this is considered to be a full time student, but my 4th year was not used to calculate my wGPA.

I think you'll be fine, and if you're really concerned, just take some electives and become full time!

GP

Another question I've been pondering...if I finish that class with an A- (hoping it will be better but who knows!) and my others an A+ I will have a WGPG of 3.91 for my UO application this year....I'm wondering if should consider doing another year to up my chances?? 3.91 is ok but obviously for UO the higher the better....any thoughts? Financially id like to stop after this semester and focus on science prereqs but I also want the best shot possible of getting in, I've come this far! Input would be greatly appreciated :)

Another question I've been pondering...if I finish that class with an A- (hoping it will be better but who knows!) and my others an A+ I will have a WGPG of 3.91 for my UO application this year....I'm wondering if should consider doing another year to up my chances?? 3.91 is ok but obviously for UO the higher the better....any thoughts? Financially id like to stop after this semester and focus on science prereqs but I also want the best shot possible of getting in, I've come this far! Input would be greatly appreciated :)

That's a tough call. You'd almost have to guarantee yourself that you would get stellar A+'s in the extra year. In addition, that year won't be counted for in your application until the next-NEXT cycle (ie. Submission in september 2015). I didn't read your entire circumstances so I'm making some assumptions (ie. you are graduating or completing your 4th year this year, etc).

3.91 is a really good wGPA but I understand why it would be a concern with all the crazy stats posted here. The truth is, the forum only shows a slice of the total applicant pool and there are probably applicants who get interviews with 3.9, etc. I'm not sure taking another full year worth of courses is worth the risk of dropping that otherwise respectable wGPA.

I too am considering coming back for another year. my uottawa wgpa will be 3.92 at the end of this year but I do not believe that to be enough for the upcoming cycle. An additional year can put me in the 3.95+ zone where things a little more comfortable.

A 3.92 is likely a high enough GPA. If I remember correctly, the wGPA that must be maintained post interview for Ontario students is 3.85 (specific to this year, and subject to change in years to come).

As mentioned above, we are seeing only a small piece of the pie on this site. Good luck all the same (4100 people applied this year)

GP

Do people think the difference between a 3.91/3.92 and a 3.95+ for someone with strong ECs etc is a significant difference - the difference between getting an invite and not?? Im wondering how much of a difference it makes! So hard to know!!

Unfortunately, for uottawa it does seem to make a differnece. We always hear people say oh a high gpa isnt everything.

But the reality is, for uottawa, a 3.91\3.92 is likley to get rejected due to extracurricular s being insignifigant while a 3.95 would have to have VERY little Ecs in order to be rejected.(Ive apllied twice now so im not ignorant about how things work)

It's such a tough call...for me Im an older applicant working as a nurse so of course I would like to finish this semester and focus on the science pre-reqs...not going back also means I can finally save some money. While Im very confident with my ECs and application overall, the little voice in my head is telling me a 3.91ish WGPA won't be enough! And then I figure well I have come this far why not put in another year and better my chances... I am confident I can attain a 3.95+ next year....

Ugh decisions...I honestly don't know what to do! More advice would be so welcome and appreciated

I completely understand. The point that has made the decision significantly easier for me is that say I ( or you) decide that a 3.91/3.92 is enough and will therefore, take the year off to work/do ECs/travel/watever and then find out on January 31st that we did not receive an interview. We will have put our selves in a worse position than if we had taken the extra year and did everything possible to achieve a 3.95+ gpa that year (which isnt that difficult considering that we are older students, with years of Undergrad under our belt).

It sucks being out of school and trying to work on other parts of your application when the reason for our not getting a uottawa interview is not having high enough gpa.

Archived