Premed 101 Forums

Hey!

So I have been trying to get more information about the average pay/salary for a Radiologist. I have heard anywhere from 300-400k gross per year. I tried looking through old forums, the MSP Blue Book, and the CMA website - but none of those have any figures for radiologists. Does anyone know around what they would make once they land a job?

• 2 weeks later...
I'm an undergrad, but I've heard that radiologists are some of the large community hospitals in Toronto commonly make about a million a year, with limited/minimal overhead. Seems like a great way to go. But I'm guessing that's not every radiologist.

That is rather rare, but it can happen. You would need to be part of a group (corporation) or a private practice that has very high vaolume and you choose to work a lot of hours. >$1 gross IS possible, but they are the minority. Average billings are in the $500K range. However, this will likely drop or at least stagnate by the time you or I are in the field. You can never predict these things...and you shouldn't be choosing a specialty by pay anyway. I would rather make $259K at a job I love than $500K at a job I loath.

• 5 years later...
On 3/18/2014 at 10:49 AM, schmitty said:

That is rather rare, but it can happen. You would need to be part of a group (corporation) or a private practice that has very high vaolume and you choose to work a lot of hours. >$1 gross IS possible, but they are the minority. Average billings are in the $500K range. However, this will likely drop or at least stagnate by the time you or I are in the field. You can never predict these things...and you shouldn't be choosing a specialty by pay anyway. I would rather make $259K at a job I love than $500K at a job I loath.

Woof, this prediction came true.

4 hours ago, 1D7 said:

All specialties have been cut across the board in Ontario over the past few years.

I don't think that there will be further cuts to physician pay? The cuts were made by the Liberal government.

From my understanding, they are cutting the non-essential services now, making patients pay out of pocket. I just read the cuts to non-essential services, most of them seem reasonable. 

7 hours ago, LittleDaisy said:

I don't think that there will be further cuts to physician pay? The cuts were made by the Liberal government.

From my understanding, they are cutting the non-essential services now, making patients pay out of pocket. I just read the cuts to non-essential services, most of them seem reasonable. 

I am looking on a longer horizon than just this provincial government - all they have to do to lower pay is simply not raise the fees at the same rate as inflation. The conservatives will not be in power forever and there is still a lot of sentiment that we are over paid. We still haven't introduced another narrative. 

The star continues to blah the pay at every opportunity - even when it doesn't make any sense (and also to be fair when it does). 

3 hours ago, IMislove said:

For those trying to decide between staying in ON, go to another province, or go to the USA 

giphy.gif

yup :)

I will be able to work both in Can or the US. In some cases live in Can but work in the US. I would prefer to return to Canada but the job market in my field is very limited. 

7 hours ago, rmorelan said:

yup :)

I will be able to work both in Can or the US. In some cases live in Can but work in the US. I would prefer to return to Canada but the job market in my field is very limited. 

R, did you write the USMLEs for US licensing? I may be headed down that route in terms of horizon as well...at least for a few years before returning to canada. 

29 minutes ago, distressedpremed said:

R, did you write the USMLEs for US licensing? I may be headed down that route in terms of horizon as well...at least for a few years before returning to canada. 

Writing - I never had a chance to do them in med school as I was pretty involved with other things. about 1/2 done - it is easier when you don't care at all what grade you get. 

Plus you might be interested to know you don't need them for many places in the US - including as it happens the state I am in. They will help you get some visa types that can be useful for fellowships :)

14 hours ago, rmorelan said:

I am looking on a longer horizon than just this provincial government - all they have to do to lower pay is simply not raise the fees at the same rate as inflation. The conservatives will not be in power forever and there is still a lot of sentiment that we are over paid. We still haven't introduced another narrative. 

The star continues to blah the pay at every opportunity - even when it doesn't make any sense (and also to be fair when it does). 

The Toronto Star is known to be anti-doctors, they will jump at every occasion on revealing to the public how physicians are paid.

They forget to mention that we have NO BENEFITS, no SICK DAYS, no MATERNITY LEAVE, no critical illness, and NO PENSION, and we are taxed at heavy percentage unless you have enough money to save to incorporate. They also forget to mention HOW LONG IT IS to become a doctor, and how MUCH DEBT WE HAVE, and how competitive IT IS TO GET IN. In the end,  a GP in BC gets paid around the same after taxes and deducts the benefits as a NP who does a bachelor + 2 years of master. This is absurd. 

Sorry about all my vent, I feel like the Stars has nothing better to report than doctor bashing. 

24 minutes ago, LittleDaisy said:

The Toronto Star is known to be anti-doctors, they will jump at every occasion on revealing to the public how physicians are paid.

They forget to mention that we have NO BENEFITS, no SICK DAYS, no MATERNITY LEAVE, no critical illness, and NO PENSION, and we are taxed at heavy percentage unless you have enough money to save to incorporate. They also forget to mention HOW LONG IT IS to become a doctor, and how MUCH DEBT WE HAVE, and how competitive IT IS TO GET IN. In the end,  a GP in BC gets paid around the same after taxes and deducts the benefits as a NP who does a bachelor + 2 years of master. This is absurd. 

Sorry about all my vent, I feel like the Stars has nothing better to report than doctor bashing. 

true - it is all pretty one sided. Plus it sounds like news I guess and helps them sell papers. The fact that doctors are paid well just flat out annoys people

9 minutes ago, rmorelan said:

true - it is all pretty one sided. Plus it sounds like news I guess and helps them sell papers. The fact that doctors are paid well just flat out annoys people

It really just angers me off. I think that they neglect doctors who work for free, who see OHIP-less patients, and doctors who spends hours doing non-OHIP insured work for marginalized vulnerable population. They just see doctors as flat-out greedy who want a money raise, when they forget to take into consideration the number of years of training, the amount of hard work, the amount of intellectual and how academic rigorous our profession is--> to be constant Uptodate with all the research. 

I don't understand why doctors being paid as per their degree of training and hardwork angers general population. If anything, there are a lot of self-regulating health professions who are paid fairly well and who go off under the radar of social media. 

• 3 months later...
15 hours ago, capcom18 said:

@rmorelan could you expand on this? I thought working in the US required you to be in the state that you are practicing (unless you're talking about a cross-border commute where you live in Canada and work in the US). 

with many teleradiology programs I wouldn't need to be even in the same country for US studies - just ABR licensed and in some cases have completed the USMLEs from a medical point of view. 

16 minutes ago, Bandicoot said:

@rmorelan How do you get ABR licensed? I'm interested in telerads eventually. Do most telerads jobs in the US need USLME to be completed? Or would doing a fellowship in the US make it easier?

that is a two part problem 

1) ABR - as any Canadian residency program in Rads is also accredited in the US we can all write the ABR exam. Not usual to do that as practice prior to the Canadian one really. We seamlessly can write their tests, and they can write ours. 

2) Many states do require the USMLE - but not all - for full state medical license. For that reason and also to access the same full medical license during US fellowships and thus being able to potentially moonlight some people do the USMLE exams. That also lets you go to the us on a H1B visa which is much less restrictive. However you can still go to many rad fellowships - including the ones at all the "important" schools without the USMLE exam. All the Harvard affiliated ones for instance you are covered with your LMCC exams. Canadians are special like that ha. 

doing the fellowship itself for a Canadian doesn't help in the process therefore.