Premed 101 Forums

so...

^no that's a not a reason. Why should a program rank all interviewees? Some people aren't good and a program shouldn't have to settle for that unless its like mac ortho or any path program.

I matched to path and find it disturbing but nevertheless true, that path programs often settle for exceptionally weak applicants instead of letting spots lapse. On the Carms tour I witnessed that pathology programs accept a lot of unqualified, weak people, in particular bad IMGs. I have seen good, strong residents in path too - I will be one I hope - but their presence is diluted by the bad ones. Most programs have some clearly bad residents. The same is not true for mostly every other specialty AFAIK.

What is strange is that path residents are not required to run a service, like neurosurgery or IM residents are. It is a fairly passive training regime that could operate without residents. Programs should have no problems not filling spots.

Path is the most interesting field, but when you see the scandals in the news and the quality of residents in the pipeline, its probably not going to get better. The lifestyle, income and patient impact are all very good, and I wish it was more popular with good applicants.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I matched to path and find it disturbing but nevertheless true, that path programs often settle for exceptionally weak applicants instead of letting spots lapse. On the Carms tour I witnessed that pathology programs accept a lot of unqualified, weak people, in particular bad IMGs. I have seen good, strong residents in path too - I will be one I hope - but their presence is diluted by the bad ones. Most programs have some clearly bad residents. The same is not true for mostly every other specialty AFAIK.

What is strange is that path residents are not required to run a service, like neurosurgery or IM residents are. It is a fairly passive training regime that could operate without residents. Programs should have no problems not filling spots.

Path is the most interesting field, but when you see the scandals in the news and the quality of residents in the pipeline, its probably not going to get better. The lifestyle, income and patient impact are all very good, and I wish it was more popular with good applicants.

Don't overthink it and be happy to be in path

Thank you speak out what happen in path. They are so hard for cmgs. then keep spot to second round for IMGs. that's why you see lots of IMG in path, their Engligsh even no good.

Queens was actually 100% matched. The one lone person who didn't match was a holdover from last year.

Damn. That's rough. I wonder what he/she will do. Congrats to Queens, though. 100% is great.

Also, can anyone explain why Dal has an open Ophtho spot. That seems surprising to me.

Ophthalmology rarely goes unmatched - I don't recall the last time this has happend.

Dalhousie interviewed 11-12 spots for 2 this year, which is risky, considering that these applicants must be the top, most competitive in the country. The vast majority were not from out East and likely did not rank it as high as other programs. All applicants matched(100%), but only one ranked it as top, hence the empty seat in the 2nd round.

This would not have been an issue if they had interviewed 15 like the rest of the schools.

Ophthalmology rarely goes unmatched - I don't recall the last time this has happend.

Dalhousie interviewed 11-12 spots for 2 this year, which is risky, considering that these applicants must be the top, most competitive in the country. The vast majority were not from out East and likely did not rank it as high as other programs. All applicants matched(100%), but only one ranked it as top, hence the empty seat in the 2nd round.

This would not have been an issue if they had interviewed 15 like the rest of the schools.

Thank you for clarifying.

That'll be a hot second round spot if there ever were one.

Interesting, so it sounds like it's been an absolutely horrific year so far. Unmatched:

Dal = 10+

Edmonton = 10

Ottawa = 12

UWO = 8

Queens = 1

Any more school stats?

so we are at 41, plus 5 from u of c, 17 from u of T (according to this forum), we are only at 64 ish. We may be low ball it :confused:

If you read the link from u of t, Preliminary data shows 140 Canadian medical graduates were unmatched after the first iteration. It is horrible.

Well, if the trend continue, the advice here is to apply broadly, just like when we apply to medical schools.

http://www.pgme.utoronto.ca/content/2014-canadian-resident-matching-service-carms-pgme-results

Unfilled positions: http://www.pgme.utoronto.ca/content/carms-2014-vacancies-medical-school-preliminary-data

so we are at 41, plus 5 from u of c, 17 from u of T (according to this forum), we are only at 64 ish. We may be low ball it :confused:

If you read the link from u of t, Preliminary data shows 140 Canadian medical graduates were unmatched after the first iteration. It is horrible.

Well, if the trend continue, the advice here is to apply broadly, just like when we apply to medical schools.

http://www.pgme.utoronto.ca/content/2014-canadian-resident-matching-service-carms-pgme-results

Unfilled positions: http://www.pgme.utoronto.ca/content/carms-2014-vacancies-medical-school-preliminary-data

Hopefully that 140 unmatched includes previous years' applicants... it'd still be a solid jump from earlier matches, but if that's all 2014s... yikes!

Also, why does U of T still have one third of total residency spots?! Even accounting for its hyper-specialized programs, its service area has less than 1/5th the country's population and is one of the few saturated-to-oversaturated regions in the country.

Have IMGs always been able to match during the first round?

Hopefully that 140 unmatched includes previous years' applicants... it'd still be a solid jump from earlier matches, but if that's all 2014s... yikes!

Also, why does U of T still have one third of total residency spots?! Even accounting for its hyper-specialized programs, its service area has less than 1/5th the country's population and is one of the few saturated-to-oversaturated regions in the country.

It was 1/3rd of ontario residency spots and this makes sense as Toronto has a service area of 6 million, which is about 40% of the population of Ontario.

I am amazed at the lack of family medicine spots remaining from the first round. It looks like things are really shifting into primary care. I would be curious to know if this trend is new or has been going on for some time. What is the reason, increased renumeration, more variety with the plus 1s, opportunity to work where and how you want?

It's not abnormal at all. Last year was 130, yr before 161, 2 years 139.

It's not abnormal at all. Last year was 130, yr before 161, 2 years 139.

I'm setting a good record of reading the wrong thing in this thread... you're absolutely right. I was reading total match (1st and 2nd round) unmatched candidates, not 1st round alone. My mistake :o

Big year for McGill...

We had 5/5 matches to plastics (2 at uoft).

Everyone matched into gen surg (10+ people and 3 at uoft).

ENT again 5/5 (2 at uoft).

Ortho was perfect match rate too (7/7).

Uro 3/3.

Etc...

The only place where it went wrong was derm with too many applicants for way too few spots (2 matches /approx. 10 applicants).

Though I don't really know more than 4 people that went unmatched.

Congrats to everyone on their matches regardless! And good luck on second round if it's begun?

Big year for McGill...

Uro 3/3.

Etc...

The only place where it went wrong was derm with too many applicants for way too few spots (2 matches /approx. 10 applicants).

Congrats to everyone on their matches regardless! And good luck on second round if it's begun?

That is rough.... :(

Big year for McGill...

Uro 3/3.

Etc...

That is an amazing match!!

Archived