Premed 101 Forums

Cramming everything into the summer

Hi, I'm in my first year of undergrad and could use a bit of everything in regards to research/volunteer experience, shadowing experience, summer school, vacation time.

My friend is joining an organization this summer to volunteer in Guatemala as either a medical or dental assistant. I think that's one of the most interesting experiences one could have and I'm really considering it although I'm not sure when it would work out. I think the norm is to study for the DAT during the summer between 2nd and 3rd year (next year for me), so I'd imagine that I would have to commit my summer to that.

I don't think summer school is an option for me this year because I may have missed the deadlines, but I was hoping to work ahead and ease the workload for next semester.

I could either shadow my mom this summer, which would be very convenient for me, or shadow another dentist so that I could potentially get a LOR from them. This, however, would take more planning ahead of time and I should start giving people calls soon if that is what I decide to do.

May is just around the corner and I would really like to start doing anything I can towards applying for dental school. My issue is what my priorities should be and how to balance everything out. Any help would be appreciated!

you should look into dental schools that will be potential options in the future. See what their admission process is like and base your courses and summer accordingly. Because dental schools differ in what prerequisites they require, although for the most part its pretty much constant throughout, and also some dont even care about letters of reference of volunteer experience. So id say do some research and tailor your time to your needs. As for the exotic trip, personally i think those sort of things are unnecessary. Tons of volunteering you can do right in your city that is just as, if not more meaningful than going to Guatemala. As for the DAT, it is definitely not something that needs all summers attention. Shadowing is always recommended, since it gives you a sense of the profession. how can you know if a career is for you if you never go and actually experience it right? best of luck.

Archived