Premed 101 Forums

Can You Take a Day Off?

Hey guys, quick question,

I am going to be taking the MCAT this summer and was wondering if you can take one day off a week/study lighter on one day or should you be studying 24/7 for the 3 months. I'm going to be taking prep classes which meet from Monday-Friday and I plan on also studying by myself. But I wasn't sure if I would be able to hang out with friends/go out sometimes or if I should be inside studying for the whole summer :P

Nope, you're pretty much guaranteed <30 if you don't study literally 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

You have a social life? You know that counts against you on applications, right?

lol, very funny :P

I was just wondering because the way everyone talks about the MCAT, it's like you have to dedicate your life to it for the time that you are preparing for it :S

Hey guys, quick question,

I am going to be taking the MCAT this summer and was wondering if you can take one day off a week/study lighter on one day or should you be studying 24/7 for the 3 months. I'm going to be taking prep classes which meet from Monday-Friday and I plan on also studying by myself. But I wasn't sure if I would be able to hang out with friends/go out sometimes or if I should be inside studying for the whole summer :P

Taking a day off to relax and do what you like is definitely possible.

There are quite of us who did research alongside the MCAT, and did fine.

What i did was i had a surgery to remove my reticular formation so i would not make the mistake of sleeping.

The problem i currently have is that i still have to invest about an hour/day eating, which I know is going to bring my MCAT score to below average. So yeah I am currently consulting a counsellor to have that part of my brain removed as well.

But honestly, just study 24/7 for 3 months and you should be fine. Ok.. maybe you can get an hour of sleep during that 3 months but no more.

Take time off. I strictly limited my mcat studying to week days and kept weekends for going to the lake, hanging out with friends, camping etc. It made the summer enjoyable despite that idiotic exam. I was able to motivate myself to study hard and make good use of my study time during the week because I knew at the end of the week was my reward: saturday and sunday study free. I still ended up with a score I was pretty happy with and had a great summer.

Pfffffffbt. I spent three months of my summer studying female reproductive anatomy and the other month studying every other bit of the MCAT. Came out with a 42.

The trick is to study smart, not hard. For example, I didn't even bother looking at orgo because I'd had such a strong background in it from my courses, while one guy I know didn't have to look at anatomy/physiology/microbiology at all because of HIS courses. Focus your time on things that you're weak at and are likely to see on the MCAT.

Pfffffffbt. I spent three months of my summer studying female reproductive anatomy and the other month studying every other bit of the MCAT. Came out with a 42.

The trick is to study smart, not hard. For example, I didn't even bother looking at orgo because I'd had such a strong background in it from my courses, while one guy I know didn't have to look at anatomy/physiology/microbiology at all because of HIS courses. Focus your time on things that you're weak at and are likely to see on the MCAT.

hahaha

Thanks, that's actually really good advice