Premed 101 Forums

French question for english stream applicants?

Hey, I indicated on my application that I was bilingual for Ottawa (applied to english stream)...I was in french immersion from grade 1-12 so that is why I put it. Overall I would say my french is currently iffy since I have not practised it in a few years... does anybody know if they would ask me a french question despite the fact I am interviewing for the english stream? I really hope they don't I am sort of worried about this..

Hey, I indicated on my application that I was bilingual for Ottawa (applied to english stream)...I was in french immersion from grade 1-12 so that is why I put it. Overall I would say my french is currently iffy since I have not practised it in a few years... does anybody know if they would ask me a french question despite the fact I am interviewing for the english stream? I really hope they don't I am sort of worried about this..

Since you put you're bilingual it is possible they ask you a question in french.

So is it actually a known fact that Ottawa will ask a question in french if you put yourself down as bilingual and then applied to the english stream? I put it down because in general I can read and write in french pretty well. However by no means could I have studied in the french stream...it was just sort of vague and since I studied the language for 12 years I thought I should indicate that somewhere. Anyways, if they do ask me something in French I will simply try my best and let them know what my overall level of fluency is at this point.

There wasn't anything vague on the application. OMSAS asked if you speak French. If you put down that you speak French, it's kinda expected that you're fluent and that you can answer a question in French. I did French all the way throughout high school and live in a bilingual city, but I didn't put it down because I know I'm not fluent in it. You better start practicing because it would not look good if you answer back in fractured French.

Nothing to be worried of, they don't expect miracles. I already interviewed at Ottawa and indicated that I was bilingual.

I picked up my French on the "streets" of Northern Ontario and they actually asked a few questions and laughed (much the same response I get here in Quebec, they can pick out where I'm from by my french with amazing accuracy!), I guess Northern Ontario French is a little different than the much more formal Quebec/Ottawa french. (lots of regional words etc) In the end everyone understood each other and it wasn't too bad.

I was asked a question in French but given the option to answer in English or French. I guess they wanted to know that I could even listen in French. I answered in English because I forgot I had checked off that I was bilingual on the application. Didn't get a chance to brush up those 13 years of Immersion French!

Archived