Premed 101 Forums

Did I screw my chances by going to a tough undergrad?

Ok I'm currently a second year at McGill but I only really have a year and a half left due to APs, so my first year was all sophomore science classes pretty much. I currently have a 3.5, (sucks cuz I screwed up first year with a bunch of Bs), and I have only 3 semesters left to boost it to something like 3.68 (assuming I get 4.0s for all 3 or something)

Would it have been better had I gone to my state school or something? my friends in high school I consistently beat are pulling way better grades than me. I remember when I applied for McGill i was reading forum stuff that said american med schools added a 0.5 to McGill GPAs or something because its notoriously difficult to get high grades.... now in hindsight that seems like a ridiculous thing to believe. I'm pretty sure whoever said that pulled it out of his ass.

Don't get me wrong I love McGill. But I just gotta know. Did I screw myself over?

Ok I'm currently a second year at McGill but I only really have a year and a half left due to APs, so my first year was all sophomore science classes pretty much. I currently have a 3.5, (sucks cuz I screwed up first year with a bunch of Bs), and I have only 3 semesters left to boost it to something like 3.68 (assuming I get 4.0s for all 3 or something)

Would it have been better had I gone to my state school or something? my friends in high school I consistently beat are pulling way better grades than me. I remember when I applied for McGill i was reading forum stuff that said american med schools added a 0.5 to McGill GPAs or something because its notoriously difficult to get high grades.... now in hindsight that seems like a ridiculous thing to believe. I'm pretty sure whoever said that pulled it out of his ass.

Don't get me wrong I love McGill. But I just gotta know. Did I screw myself over?

Might I ask what program you are in? If you are in one of the more difficult programs, switching majors might help your grades out a bit.

McGill is not that hard. The classes may be harder than other schools (debatable, i don't think it's true) but 85% means 4.0 more than make up for it. High school grades are no indicative of university performance because it's a whole different ball game. I don't think something getting 3.5 at McGill is going to suddenly pull a 4.0 at another school if everything else remains constant. Instead of trying to compare schools look at yourself first.

Archived