Premed 101 Forums

books recommended for gen surg residents

Some kind of survive-call manual. Whatever is in vogue these days. On Call - Principles and Protocols might still work. There's probably an app or something by now.

Sabiston and/or Schwartz to get you to at least the Principles of Surgery exam at the end of PGY-2 (I think they changed the name of the exam since I did it, but it's still there.) Greenfield is another comprehensive text, I liked it for the Royal College but it wasn't as good for the junior years as the others. Cameron is an easier read but almost too contemporary/controversial and doesn't cover basics.

Some kind of how-to manual for pre-op reading so you kind of know what they're doing in there is handy. Skandalakis[x3] fits in your locker.

You can probably e-access some of these via CMA or other website or library as well.

Some kind of survive-call manual. Whatever is in vogue these days. On Call - Principles and Protocols might still work. There's probably an app or something by now.

Sabiston and/or Schwartz to get you to at least the Principles of Surgery exam at the end of PGY-2 (I think they changed the name of the exam since I did it, but it's still there.) Greenfield is another comprehensive text, I liked it for the Royal College but it wasn't as good for the junior years as the others. Cameron is an easier read but almost too contemporary/controversial and doesn't cover basics.

Some kind of how-to manual for pre-op reading so you kind of know what they're doing in there is handy. Skandalakis[x3] fits in your locker.

You can probably e-access some of these via CMA or other website or library as well.

Surgical Foundations is the new name. POS sounded bad.

The key for the exam is to do old questions over and over.

Archived