Premed 101 Forums

How to improve my CV to get into UBC or BCIT Nursing?

RNWannabe2016

Hi,

I'm planning to apply to UBC's 2-year program, and possibly also BCIT's 3-year program (as a second choice) for September 2016 intake. (I have two young kids and want to wait intil they're both in elementary school before I start school myself.)

If you were accepted into either program - or if you just have advice to share - I would love to get the inside scoop on how I can make myself into the best possible candidate for acceptance:

1. How many hours of revelant healthcare experience did you have prior to admission?

2. What kind of volunteer experience is preferred? Should I volunteer in an Extended Care Centre or a hospital? If I'm in the hospital, should I go for the Cancer Centre or Emergency or Surgical Day Care? Do you think one of these locations or departments more attractive than the others to an admissions committee?

3. Which extra-curricular activities do you undertake prior to admission?

4. What is the daily schedule? 8am - 5pm? Does it include evenings and weekends?

5. When did/do you have time off during the program?

6. If I complete 70 hours of volunteering in a hospital or extended care faciility, and attain an 86% GPA in prerequisite Biology courses (I have an 86% GPA from my undergrad and grad studies), how strong a candidate do you think I will be?

Thanks so much for your help!!!

• 4 weeks later...

VCC, Langara College are both decent options as well. They are both 3 years to complete. If you are basing your choices based on the names of the school and not the program, you will be very upset when you realize what I said is true. The workload given to students at VCC, Langara are manageable and realistic compared to BCIT. The clinical experience at VCC, Langara far outweighs UBC.

Archived