Premed 101 Forums

So many psychiatry spots left after 1st iteration

Because it is psychiatry... I'm guessing you don'y need an explanation detailing the pitfalls of the specialty? For the record, the residents I've met in Dal's psych program have been above average residents. I see no faults with the program from a medical student perspective (I've heard of a few bad apples in terms of staff, but the majority are awesome).

Psych is great for a bunch of different reasons if you're not deterred by dealing with chronicity and mental health patients. Different strokes for different folks though, many will see it as too much of a deviation from a more hard science approach to medicine. However, this year was a much stronger year for psych especially in Ontario. Programs that haven't filled traditionally in the past filled this year, despite the available number of residency spots increasing from last year.

So Dal/Mun may come down to location/program factors/bad luck. I unfortunately didn't apply out east having being tied to Ontario, but if you're really considering one of the programs, I would email the program contacts and ask if they would provide a couple residents to contact so you can ask this same question. My feeling throughout the first round, programs were eager to get you in contact with their residents.

Psych is great for a bunch of different reasons if you're not deterred by dealing with chronicity and mental health patients. Different strokes for different folks though, many will see it as too much of a deviation from a more hard science approach to medicine. However, this year was a much stronger year for psych especially in Ontario. Programs that haven't filled traditionally in the past filled this year, despite the available number of residency spots increasing from last year.

So Dal/Mun may come down to location/program factors/bad luck. I unfortunately didn't apply out east having being tied to Ontario, but if you're really considering one of the programs, I would email the program contacts and ask if they would provide a couple residents to contact so you can ask this same question. My feeling throughout the first round, programs were eager to get you in contact with their residents.

I was just curious. I am a practicing psychiatrist already and we hear a lot about dwindling numbers of psychiatrists and those set to retire and the ever growing demand for services with less of us to provide psychiatric care. There are a lot of jobs in psychiatry and prospective residents I don't think need to worry about not finding a job upon graduation unlike some of the surgical/medical specialties. As you said it may come down to personal preference for this as a specialty and location.

As an applicant to both those programs this year, and having interviewed at one of them...a couple things stood out for those programs being less desirable:

-PGY-1 off service rotations: MUN has multiple rural rotations including Obs-Gyn (can't say that was a selling point for me!!!!!)

-Away rotations: part of R1 or R2 (can't recall) is spent outside of Halifax and in St John, NB.

-Overall: distance from & cost to travel out of province, plus higher taxation= lower on my list.

Psych should be very proud! I believe 6 programs filled in the first iteration across Canada. I met lots of accomplished and enthusiastic individuals during the tour...the word is out there that it's a great specialty with good job prospects and lifestyle. I wouldn't be surprised about subspecialty positions becoming very very competitive in a couple years.

As an applicant to both those programs this year, and having interviewed at one of them...a couple things stood out for those programs being less desirable:

-PGY-1 off service rotations: MUN has multiple rural rotations including Obs-Gyn (can't say that was a selling point for me!!!!!)

-Away rotations: part of R1 or R2 (can't recall) is spent outside of Halifax and in St John, NB.

-Overall: distance from & cost to travel out of province, plus higher taxation= lower on my list.

Psych should be very proud! I believe 6 programs filled in the first iteration across Canada. I met lots of accomplished and enthusiastic individuals during the tour...the word is out there that it's a great specialty with good job prospects and lifestyle. I wouldn't be surprised about subspecialty positions becoming very very competitive in a couple years.

Where did you match? Glad to know the word is getting out there about psychiatry being a great specialty. I work a lot within a collaborative care model and just love it! The lifestyle is great and the pay continues to improve....I don't need to be concerned about less OR time or cuts here and there or no jobs.

I'm in Ontario but given the chance back in the day I may have considered Dal for residency but family reasons limited my mobility.

I can let you know about some great cme events that happen in Florida in February if you want a nice warm winter break with some learning !

Archived