Premed 101 Forums

The post-interview wait

Had a great time at Mac this morning! I was absolutely terrified in the 2 minutes reading the first prompt but it went well and it started off a good rhythm for the rest of them. Had 1 station that I was not at all happy with, but can't do anything about it now and the volunteers were quick to assure me that most people feel bad about 1 or 2 of them. Also got lucky in my rest station positioning which I'm thankful for.

Speaking of the volunteers, they were absolutely amazing. All 3 of mine were super nice and so much fun to talk to before and during the interview. It's early in the morning for them too and I really appreciate that they volunteered their time to deal with a bunch of crazy interviewees.

I've heard that there's no point in trying to guess how you did but I feel like a few scenarios are going to come up in nightmares over the next ~50 days.

Just a reminder that we did sign a confidentiality form and this is a public forum so be careful what you say.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm pretty sure you're referring to the station that killed me and my friends today as well.

Now only gotta wait like... 2 months? :P

51 days I believe. :P

The rest of my interview group agreed it was the worst one as well so maybe it'll turn out ok

Good luck to everyone who is interviewing/has interviewed! Shout out to my group threes from yesterday morning - I had a great time getting to know all of you at the rest stations!

If anyone has post-interview questions about Mac that they didn't ask at the interview/thought of afterward, feel free to PM me if you don't want to post on the forum. It's exciting for us to get to meet the interviewees for next year, and we're all looking forward to seeing who is in the class in September!

I know they talked about a few differences between the regional campuses and the Hamilton campus but are there any big curriculum differences between the regional campuses? I believe someone said that Waterloo has weekly anatomy, does Niagara have the same thing and do they also get to do dissections?

Also, did you run one of the tours?

Anatomy is really the only majorly different thing. At Waterloo we have 3 hours every Wednesday whereas Hamilton has 4.5 hours every 3 weeks. I found Hamilton's anatomy to be more didactic where as Waterloo's is self directed (we have a lab manual and our anatomists circulate to answer questions.

Regional Campuses also do a full body dissection throughout the year where as the main campus does not.

Edit: Waterloo and Niagara have the same anatomy program except Waterloo has 1 extra session each MF. Waterloo has a new trial anatomy session each MF called surgical skills that will probably be implement in Niagara next year!

I did run one of the tours for the morning session. :) I'm the blonde with black glasses.

One small correction on the anatomy - in Hamilton, we don't have 4.5 hours every three weeks, we have anywhere between 1.5-3 hours. Some days, it's just anatomy, which is 1.5 hours, and some days we also have a 1.5 hour ultrasound or radiology session. I think that the regional campus anatomy sounds awesome, I'd love to see that happen in Hamilton too (but based on numbers, I don't know how they'd do that for all of us). Perks of the regional campuses!

I did run one of the tours for the morning session. :) I'm the blonde with black glasses.

One small correction on the anatomy - in Hamilton, we don't have 4.5 hours every three weeks, we have anywhere between 1.5-3 hours. Some days, it's just anatomy, which is 1.5 hours, and some days we also have a 1.5 hour ultrasound or radiology session. I think that the regional campus anatomy sounds awesome, I'd love to see that happen in Hamilton too (but based on numbers, I don't know how they'd do that for all of us). Perks of the regional campuses!

I thought it might have been you, I was in your tour group. :P

I guess there is a bit of time before ranking the campuses but it doesn't sound like any of them would put me at a disadvantage. Most people I've seen upset about regional ones have some former ties to Hamilton that they don't want to lose.

I thought it might have been you, I was in your tour group. :P

I guess there is a bit of time before ranking the campuses but it doesn't sound like any of them would put me at a disadvantage. Most people I've seen upset about regional ones have some former ties to Hamilton that they don't want to lose.

Haha nice! I hope it wasn't too boring. :)

Yeah, honestly, I don't think there's really a disadvantage to the regional campuses from what I've heard. It seems to be a matter of personal preference. I really don't think you can go wrong with any of the three.

haha true it been a while and I included the CSBL Clin skills time in that time. Clin skills is also slightly different. Hamilton has a clin skills session on top of their weekly clin skills. Regional campuses have much more uniform clin skills.

Haha nice! I hope it wasn't too boring. :)

Yeah, honestly, I don't think there's really a disadvantage to the regional campuses from what I've heard. It seems to be a matter of personal preference. I really don't think you can go wrong with any of the three.

You were great!

Earlier, I was sure I was going to rank Hamilton first but now I'm torn. Still got a few weeks to decide though.

During, right after, and the day of the interview, I felt pretty confident and great, hopeful, and optimistic, especially since I did not feel like I did terribly at or bombed any of the stations. However, now the doubts are starting to creep in - all those should haves/could haves/ what ifs and how I could have answered some questions in a better way... :confused: It's going to be a long 50 day wait :( Oh well, what's done is done. Looking through some of the posts here gives me some relief, as it seems like a quite a few people who were accepted to Mac didn't feel the best about their interview! It's all the more difficult for me, because this was my only interview, and I am graduating this year... !!! ah well, it's no longer in our hands! Gotta move on with life, even though it feels a little hollow not having to prep for and look forward to the interview.

Yeah, the more I think about it, the more things I wish I had said. On the other hand, this is far more than the 1.5 minutes or so we had on the actual day. Hopefully it goes well for both of us and I'll see you in Mac since it's the only chance I've got.

P.S: Did I see you on Saturday? I don't have names and usernames quite lined up properly.

Great interview day! I loved that they paired each group with med students to talk to so that it wasn't just a bunch of nervous interviewees in a room together. Anyone else in track 2 on Saturday morning? The interview was pretty relaxed (except for the acting station, ahah! I had it as my first station and definitely felt like crying during - think I handled it okay though), and I think I did well. I feel like with every interview I do, I get less 'polished' and more just me. Not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing!

I also thought the talks were great, made me feel better about some of the things I was sceptical about in the Mac curriculum, and the regional campus students really did a good job of representing their groups.

Question for current students: The talk mentioned 7 weeks of summer electives, then 17 (?) weeks of clerkship electives. How many, if any, of those 17 are "useful" for CARMS? As in, schedule before interview invites go out.

Question for current students: The talk mentioned 7 weeks of summer electives, then 17 (?) weeks of clerkship electives. How many, if any, of those 17 are "useful" for CARMS? As in, schedule before interview invites go out.

7 weeks summer electives are generally considered more exploratory and not really used for Carms.

We get 10-12 weeks electives Pre Carms depending on the track you're in.

technically it's 2 less and we get vacation during 2nd year but everyone banks them for Carms interviews in third year and does another elective instead.

7 weeks summer electives are generally considered more exploratory and not really used for Carms.

We get 10-12 weeks electives Pre Carms depending on the track you're in.

technically it's 2 less and we get vacation during 2nd year but everyone banks them for Carms interviews in third year and does another elective instead.

Thanks! That's reassuring.

Yeah, the more I think about it, the more things I wish I had said. On the other hand, this is far more than the 1.5 minutes or so we had on the actual day. Hopefully it goes well for both of us and I'll see you in Mac since it's the only chance I've got.

P.S: Did I see you on Saturday? I don't have names and usernames quite lined up properly.

Yeah, that's a good point. Who knows if we would have actually been so much better (as we imagine it now) were we given the chance to do it again? I agree with what someone just mentioned here - I wasn't as polished as I was during practice and more "myself" but hopefully that meant a good thing haha ...this is such an emotional roller coaster!

Yes, I did see you in the hallway of MDCL! We practiced once together during Reading Week and we wished each other good luck as were walking to the interview together. I also sincerely hope it goes well for all of us and that we get to see each other again in September! :)

Yeah, that's a good point. Who knows if we would have actually been so much better (as we imagine it now) were we given the chance to do it again? I agree with what someone just mentioned here - I wasn't as polished as I was during practice and more "myself" but hopefully that meant a good thing haha ...this is such an emotional roller coaster!

Yes, I did see you in the hallway of MDCL! We practiced once together during Reading Week and we wished each other good luck as were walking to the interview together. I also sincerely hope it goes well for all of us and that we get to see each other again in September! :)

Yeah, we'll all be going back and forth until May 13th. Totally normal... very stressful.

Good luck to both of you :) ... Good luck to everyone! Try to focus on other things... if you can. (I should take my own advice considering how often I come to this site)

Definitely remember you! Just couldn't remember who goes with which username but I think I've got most of them matched up from practice sessions.

And yeah, it was the acting one that gave me trouble, 2nd one I had and it was terrifying. They're great actors though!

Focusing on other things? I can try but not going to happen :P

I was on Sunday! Circuit 7.

I really enjoyed the way the interview was set up. I like how everything flowed together without any waiting around. There were so many medical students helping out and they really made me feel comfortable.

Also, BEST FOOD.

Guest LeCreuset
I was on Sunday! Circuit 7.

I really enjoyed the way the interview was set up. I like how everything flowed together without any waiting around. There were so many medical students helping out and they really made me feel comfortable.

Also, BEST FOOD.

I don't follow, cold deli wraps and egg salad on a croissant constitutes best food?

I don't follow, cold deli wraps and egg salad on a croissant constitutes best food?

Apparently it does. It's easy enough to follow :P

I agree though, the food was standard. Not good, not bad... but it's pretty much what I would expect to be fed.

Archived