Premed 101 Forums

U of T vs. Queen's nursing

wallaroo

Hi everyone,

I've gotten an acceptance to the Queen's AST nursing program (I currently go to Queen's for undergrad) and also applied to U of T nursing. Thought U of T results haven't come out yet, I'm trying to prematurely determine which is the best fit for me.

My ultimate goal is to become a physician, so I need high GPA in whichever nursing program I go into - therefore, my question is, what is the U of T nursing program like in comparison to Queen's? Is it harder or easier to obtain high marks? What are the clinical experiences like? Which would you suggest for someone gunning for med school in a year or two?

Thanks!

We should have a sticky for this...

If your goal is medicine, take a science based undergrad degree. Nursing is probably one of the worst undergrads you can take due to subjectivity in marking and the inability to take most preqs during the academic year.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a nursing grad who got into medical school last year - (full disclosure - I did the 4 year not the 2 year) it definitely isn't impossible to get high marks in nursing - sometimes it takes a little bit of extra work, and it sometimes feels a little like verbal in terms of the fact that sometimes there is no "right" answer so you have to pick the "best" answer, but it is possible and it does get easier the understand and answer the style of questions. Also, with a background in LifeSci you might be able to a) get an exemption from some courses, giving you more time to focus on getting high marks on the courses you have to take or B) you will be in a great spot to do well on the courses you do have to take that are more physiology/biochem based. Just my 2 cents. Also, there are 6 nursing grads in my year right now, so it's definitely not impossible. If you already have the prereqs, there really isn't anything stopping you. Best of luck with your decision!! :)

I'm a Queen's Nursing grad who got into medical school last year - (full disclosure - I did the 4 year not the 2 year) it definitely isn't impossible to get high marks in nursing - sometimes it takes a little bit of extra work, and it sometimes feels a little like verbal in terms of the fact that sometimes there is no "right" answer so you have to pick the "best" answer, but it is possible and it does get easier the understand and answer the style of questions. Also, with a background in LifeSci you might be able to a) get an exemption from some courses, giving you more time to focus on getting high marks on the courses you have to take or B) you will be in a great spot to do well on the courses you do have to take that are more physiology/biochem based. Just my 2 cents. Also, there are 6 nursing grads in my year right now, so it's definitely not impossible. If you already have the prereqs, there really isn't anything stopping you. Best of luck with your decision!! :)

sorry to get off the topic

Ranana, if you don't mind, what was your GPA like? I am a nursing student at mac and I am having a difficult time boosting my GPA from my first year because of 1) the subjectivity and 2) so many of my units beyond second year are pass/fail.

Also, did the nursing grads in your program enter straight out of undergrad, or did they get a year or two of work experience before admission?

My GPA for Mac's formula was a 3.7, for Western was a 3.78 - definitely not super high, but it was enough, and there were definitely people in my program higher GPAs.

As far as when people get into med - it's variable. There are a couple who came straight from undergrad like me, and a couple who worked for a few years. There are benefits to either path - any clinical experience is always a positive.

Archived