Premed 101 Forums

English Speaking Patients - Clerkship/Externat

Hey,

What percent of patients in residency will be english speaking?

Also, for the doctors we rotate with, do they speak english? How is it looked at if we communicate in english?

Is all paperwork done in english? Also, is the paperwork (ie: histoire de cas/HPI) done by hand or computer?

Thanks!

Hey,

What percent of patients in residency will be english speaking?

Also, for the doctors we rotate with, do they speak english? How is it looked at if we communicate in english?

Is all paperwork done in english? Also, is the paperwork (ie: histoire de cas/HPI) done by hand or computer?

Thanks!

About 5% of patients speak english. All doctors speak french expect few exeptions in certain hospitals. All communication and paperwork needs to be done in french.

Also, all the classes are in french and all the exams are in french, you can't do them in english.

There are few students whose primary language is english in my class, they do pretty well. Some of them had to take french courses during the first and second year, and one guy had to take a year off to learn french.

Hope it helps.

While were on this thread Tigars53, how do the doctors mark you on your rotations? Are they harsh? Is it easy enough to get A- or above? Or do most people get in the B range?

Do they look down on those that don't write "perfect" french?

The marks go like this:

Inadequate [D]

Inconstant [C]

Conform (minimal)[b-] : The extern is pretty okay

Conform (superior) [b+] : Good extern, knows his stuff, works hard

Above expectations [A-] : Level of a 4th year if 3rd year, level of a resident if 4th year

Superior [A+] : How his this guy not a staff yet?

As you can guess, the average is around B+. If you work hard and know your stuff you'll get B+ everywhere, and maybe some B- in rotations where the staff don't really like you.

You can get an A- if you work REALLY hard, know lots of stuff, always ask for more, and the staff really likes you. (last point is the most important)

A+ is exceptionnal, like really rare. I don't think there is more than 5% of the students who'll ever get one A+ in any of their rotations.

The thing is, the staff don't really know how these grades work. Some of them do, but other just select the one which sounds best for your level. They don't know the grade associated with the word "Conform (superior)" and are not always taught what grade they should give to a given student of a given level. They are rarely mean in their grading and pretty fair usually, but sometimes you might end up with a grade that doesn't really fit you...

Anyway, the MOST IMPORTANT is the comments they write on the evaluation. Overall comments are sent to carms and have much more value than the grade.

Example :

B-: Works hard, really interested, superior technical skills, good bedside manners. Made a really strong impression on many staff here.

Will be worth more in the eye of a selection committee than:

B+: Knowledge in the average. Does what is asked of him. No particular interest for the speciality.

Because in the end, it's comment that really describe what kind of student you are. The grade is really subjective and depends on the experience of your supervisor with students and the grading scale.

So, work hard, be nice, smile, be interested, study the cases you see during the day and those you might see tomorrow if possible, and don't worry too much about the grade.

Hope it helps!

PS: for the french, just make sure it's readable, that they easily get what you are trying to say and that the spelling mistake are not too stupid. They will not correct spelling mistakes, and anyway we write in really short sentences, with lots of abbreviations, so no need to write like Molière. The most important is that you should be able to transmit the information in a clear and consice manner. But if you do too much spelling mistakes they might notice.

It's actually 30% of sherbrooke's population who speak english.

As there is no english's hospital in town you might see as much as 30% of your patients speaking english.

Most of them can have a conversation in french tho

I was speaking from personal experience. I don't think I had more than 2 or 3 english patients in all my rotations in sherbrooke...

Does this mean I should ask the patient if he would like to speak English or French when I enter the room? :)

It's actually 30% of sherbrooke's population who speak english.

As there is no english's hospital in town you might see as much as 30% of your patients speaking english.

Most of them can have a conversation in french tho

Does this mean I should ask the patient if he would like to speak English or French when I enter the room? :)

I think it is very reasonable to ask and to try to accommodate the patient as much as possible.

There is no rule shah

I personnaly always start in french and patients just tell me if they don't understand and then I switch.

Sometimes when the last name is very english-ish I ask before.

But anyway you will have to write in french and resume in french with the team.

You cannot count on 30% of english patients to pass your rotation.

Archived