Premed 101 Forums

Question for previous in province applicants

This question is regarding residency. For those who have applied as in province applicants, did U of C ask for proof of residency? If so, what did they ask for?

Would something like internet bills, hydro bills, proof of address be sufficient if they do ask for proof?

Thanks in advance.

Re-posting this here for quicker response.

This question is regarding residency. For those who have applied as in province applicants, did U of C ask for proof of residency? If so, what did they ask for?

Would something like internet bills, hydro bills, proof of address be sufficient if they do ask for proof?

Thanks in advance.

I went to high school in AB, so I filled in my alberta student number in the application. Presumably, they can look that up and check that I really am who I said I am and that I went to high school in AB for at least 2 years (which is sufficient to claim residency).

lol did you repost within a minute to get a quicker response? Not sure I see the logic behind that.

I applied as IP last year (OOP this year). I wasn't asked for proof as I was not given an offer. I know someone who did get an offer and was asked for A LOT of proof. We're talking about a bank statement to show their spending history during the residency duration. Point is, no way to mask your residency unless you honestly move to Alberta.

I did not - I did my undergrad in Montreal. For that matter, I did not do my high school in Alberta either, but my primary residence was still there, as that was where my father was living, and I have a mailing address there. That said, I was not accepted or wait listed, so I don't know if they would have asked at that point.

Thanks in advance.

From what I hear you'll need a lot more than that because anyone can fake those or pay someone to write your names on the bills.

Heads up Calgary may be changing their residency requirements this summer. I phoned them a couple weeks ago to ask a couple concerns (I finished 1 year of high school there only and apparently they don't consider me in-province unfortunately) and the receptionist was saying their committee will be meeting up soon to discuss the changes that will need to be made for "in-province status". You can call them yourself if you have any questions like this. I think the situation may apply to Alberta.

I did not - I did my undergrad in Montreal. For that matter, I did not do my high school in Alberta either, but my primary residence was still there, as that was where my father was living, and I have a mailing address there. That said, I was not accepted or wait listed, so I don't know if they would have asked at that point.

Thanks for the info.

From what I hear you'll need a lot more than that because anyone can fake those or pay someone to write your names on the bills.

Heads up Calgary may be changing their residency requirements this summer. I phoned them a couple weeks ago to ask a couple concerns (I finished 1 year of high school there only and apparently they don't consider me in-province unfortunately) and the receptionist was saying their committee will be meeting up soon to discuss the changes that will need to be made for "in-province status". You can call them yourself if you have any questions like this. I think the situation may apply to Alberta.

I heard the same thing about them changing IP status requirements. We'll see what happens.

I heard the same thing about them changing IP status requirements. We'll see what happens.

The lady on the phone sounded as if it was going to change for sure. I think its in your best bet to wait until they release the new requirements which should be out sometime this summer before moving (she said sometime in July)

I remember Dr. Ian Walker saying how it's out of their hands to change the in-province criteria. They have very little say on the matter. Maybe something changed?

I have no idea but that's what the receptionist at UofC Medical school told me over the phone. You can call them and ask but she'll give you the same answer.

I have no idea but that's what the receptionist at UofC Medical school told me over the phone. You can call them and ask but she'll give you the same answer.

I stand corrected. Dr. Ian Walker just made an entry on his blog that they are working on rendering the IP criteria. Funny part is that he was surprised how it leaked...

It is odd how it leaked, unless the admission receptionist spoke a little too soon haha.

I agree Trojan it is odd since it contradicts what Dr. Walker posted last year. He did state that the university (not the faculty) sets the residency requirement and they must adhere to it. Perhaps that was a misunderstanding on his part, guess we'll find out! BTW, good luck this year I have my fingers crossed for you! :)

If anything, they're going to tighten the residency requirements, perhaps making it more difficult to become an overnight "Albertan" (i.e. moving to the province the year you're applying). Dr. Walker has been complaining about the ballooning number of Albertan applicants so he's probably going to try and reign those numbers in.

My hope is that they'll maintain Albertan status for "legacy" applicants, i.e. who attended high school and otherwise grew up in the province but later left for school/work.

Does anyone know how it is expected to change?

Probably going to get tighter seeing how so many people are advertising it and causing an influx of people moving to Alberta.

I personally think the solution should have been living in Alberta for 15 months. If its 12 months students will just move there right after school starts, but if its 15 months ONLY the ones truly being committed will come since they would have to be committed to technically 2 years if they are in school...

Probably going to get tighter seeing how so many people are advertising it and causing an influx of people moving to Alberta.

I personally think the solution should have been living in Alberta for 15 months. If its 12 months students will just move there right after school starts, but if its 15 months ONLY the ones truly being committed will come since they would have to be committed to technically 2 years if they are in school...

You may be right, but there isn't an influx. Go look at the blog comments, Dr. Walker says the number of people who actually do this is quite small.

As for advertising it, if you mean on this forum, realize that only a VERY small portion of applicants are on this forum. So "advertising it" might result in 1-2 extra people moving to Alberta, if that.

People need to calm down.

You may be right, but there isn't an influx. Go look at the blog comments, Dr. Walker says the number of people who actually do this is quite small.

As for advertising it, if you mean on this forum, realize that only a VERY small portion of applicants are on this forum. So "advertising it" might result in 1-2 extra people moving to Alberta, if that.

Yea that's probably true but i'm interested to see how this works out and how the numbers change after this change is made.

It is odd how it leaked, unless the admission receptionist spoke a little too soon haha.

I agree Trojan it is odd since it contradicts what Dr. Walker posted last year. He did state that the university (not the faculty) sets the residency requirement and they must adhere to it. Perhaps that was a misunderstanding on his part, guess we'll find out! BTW, good luck this year I have my fingers crossed for you! :)

Thanks Vidhya, hopefully this year would bear more fruit. I did ask for you during the interview day and you were very well known among your class.

+1

I totally understand that Albertans may be a bit sensitive to the idea of OOP applicants gaining an "overnight" residency, but what I don't understand is the mild hostility towards these students. It's an inconvenient "loophole" which I personally took advantage of last year when I applied as an IP. Medicine is super competitive and I personally will play my cards right in any means to increase my odds. I know it sounds selfish, but if an opportunity presents itself, many will take it. Moving to a new province for the first time for nearly 7 months is NOT easy. It's a very expensive risk. This is the very reason why I applied as an OOP this year around with the risk of not getting an interview as I am at the bottom of the cut off pool (11VR and 3.82GPA).

Archived