Premed 101 Forums

Exam after each block or multiple blocks

I'm not worried about not doing well, I'm worried about the stress. And while I understand that everyone loves their school, curriculum structure is definitely a big factor when choosing a school.

Everyone handles stress differently. For me, UBC's curriculum structure is a excellent fit. Yes, we have big exams at the end of the block, and we need to study hard for them. But for most part of the year, we are free to pursue whatever activities we like (research, volunteer, sports, music, shadowing, hiking, boating, skiing etc... did I mention that Whistler is not too far away :) ). I can't speak for everyone, but such freedom allows me manage both my academics and non-academics effectively in a stress-free manner.

If curriculum structure is such a big factor for you, then only you can decide whether block exams or end-of-term exams are better for you (for me, location was more important than curriculum structure when I made my choice). Of course, that's assuming you have a choice. Good luck!

What is the class schedule like for first year at UBC? Do you have afternoons off on certain days?

First five months (Aug to Dec) is intense, with very few half days.

Things get better in the 2nd term. We get lots of Tues/Thurs mornings off. We also get some Mon and Fri afternoons off. But you will need to wake up early on Mon, Wed, and Fri for 8am PBLs every week.

Everyone handles stress differently. For me, UBC's curriculum structure is a excellent fit. Yes, we have big exams at the end of the block, and we need to study hard for them. But for most part of the year, we are free to pursue whatever activities we like (research, volunteer, sports, music, shadowing, hiking, boating, skiing etc... did I mention that Whistler is not too far away :) ). I can't speak for everyone, but such freedom allows me manage both my academics and non-academics effectively in a stress-free manner.

If curriculum structure is such a big factor for you, then only you can decide whether block exams or end-of-term exams are better for you (for me, location was more important than curriculum structure when I made my choice). Of course, that's assuming you have a choice. Good luck!

Thanks for the different perspective! It's not necessarily a huge factor for me, but it definitely matters. Like you said, all this assumes I'll actually have a choice, which is far from guaranteed.

Location is important too. I guess I'll just have to cross that bridge when (if) I come to it, but the replies from UBC students on this thread have definitely eased my fears a little bit.

Archived