Premed 101 Forums

May 15th Countdown Thread!

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yup, looks like CIBC doesn't have Interac Online. Going to have to do certified cheque (I don't think I trust mail/courier nearly that much), or open an account at one of the supported banks. Anyone know why they won't just accept credit cards? Seems much easier.

CC fees can go up to many percent of the payment amount. That's like $20-40 lost per applicant x 250.

i think i'm dying from this wait.

Since we're all waiting, could I get some thoughts on this?

Which would you choose, McGill or UBC for medicine? I'm on the fence. I know it comes down to personal choice, but as someone who's from Montreal I'm kinda thinking of starting somewhere new. Vancouver is gorgeous and UBC campus is nothing like McGill. The only thing is that cost of living and tuition are so much higher at ubc. I'm also wondering if you might need a car since I'm not sure if public transport is as good as Montreal's metro.

Thoughts?

i think i'm dying from this wait.

Since we're all waiting, could I get some thoughts on this?

Which would you choose, McGill or UBC for medicine? I'm on the fence. I know it comes down to personal choice, but as someone who's from Montreal I'm kinda thinking of starting somewhere new. Vancouver is gorgeous and UBC campus is nothing like McGill. The only thing is that cost of living and tuition are so much higher at ubc. I'm also wondering if you might need a car since I'm not sure if public transport is as good as Montreal's metro.

Thoughts?

I'm dying too.

Public transport is definitely better in Montreal. However, I think some of the med students on here have said that you can get by at UBC without a car, it's just a little tricky.

Which curriculum set up do you like better?

Remember that UBCis changing their curriculum somewhat so it will be more difficult to get by without a vehicle in the coming years.

I vote change. Change is good. :D

Actually the current bus system in UBC is very convenient. You don't have to drive a car. Plus a new sky train branch will be extended to UBC in a few years.

After reading this article on McGill's new curriculum implemented for the 2017 I'm not sure how I feel about it...

http://www.montrealgazette.com/news/McGill+students+voice+concerns+over+medical+school/9802205/story.html

I was a bit hesitant about UBC's exams-at-the-end-of-semester but I guess that's a style I'm more used to from undergrad.

To be honest, I just want to go somewhere new. It'll be scary leaving friends behind but I dunno... I get excited! Lived on the East coast all my life so…ready for a change :D

12 more days left!!!

After reading this article on McGill's new curriculum implemented for the 2017 I'm not sure how I feel about it...

http://www.montrealgazette.com/news/McGill+students+voice+concerns+over+medical+school/9802205/story.html

I was a bit hesitant about UBC's exams-at-the-end-of-semester but I guess that's a style I'm more used to from undergrad.

To be honest, I just want to go somewhere new. It'll be scary leaving friends behind but I dunno... I get excited! Lived on the East coast all my life so…ready for a change :D

12 more days left!!!

WOW! 'using a weekend to prepare for testing on a year’s worth of material', is like you have to have a copy-machine style of brain.:cool:

12 more days left!!!

It doesn't sound like the administration is concerned at all, either. Which is a bad sign, if you ask me.

It doesn't sound like the administration is concerned at all, either. Which is a bad sign, if you ask me.

It doesn't sound so bad. Just a rough patch implementing new curriculum, I imagine. Post-remediation failures were probably normal compared to previous years else there would be real outrage, not just a couple students complaining about a heavier workload. Are there any McGill 2017's who could weigh in? Hard to judge the situation by one article with limited sources.

It doesn't sound so bad. Just a rough patch implementing new curriculum, I imagine. Post-remediation failures were probably normal compared to previous years else there would be real outrage, not just a couple students complaining about a heavier workload. Are there any McGill 2017's who could weigh in? Hard to judge the situation by one article with limited sources.

But 1/4 of the class should not have to remediate...

Actually the current bus system in UBC is very convenient. You don't have to drive a car. Plus a new sky train branch will be extended to UBC in a few years.

This won't happen until long after you finish residency. The line that is currently being built (servicing the suburbs, not Vancouver) needs to be finished first, and that'll happen around 2016.

That being said, for the two years that I lived at UBC as an undergrad, I didn't even think of using a car, and most of my friends who lived off campus but still within Vancouver don't even have their learner's permit. Transit in Vancouver is very convenient, even in off-peak hours its very easy to get around. It's almost harder to have a car, since you'll have to worry about parking everywhere you go, and its quite a pain to drive around in traffic.

As a medical student, there's an express bus that takes 20 minutes to go downtown (for leisure, and also St Paul's is located there), and there's also a shuttle service from the UBC hospital that goes directly to Vancouver General and Children's, so at least for the first few years you'll never need a car. Some of your electives may be spread further outside of Vancouver, but you probably won't have to worry about that till 3rd or 4th year anyways.

Bottom line - if you live in Vancouver, a car is absolutely not necessary :P

Good luck guys on upcoming admission offer day. I graduated from UBC med, would not go to any other school.

Enjoy the next 4 years.

Hi, since you mentioned you graduated from UBC, do you mind to talk about your school life? Somebody said it is very stressful. Did you have time to enjoy the life aside of the study life?

In this blog, they didn't say when they would send out the paper offer. May we still say: if there is no news by noon on that day, there will be good news?

Fine by me if they forego sending paper offers. As for when to feel safe, I'd be more comfortable checking here for when waitlist posts start fizzling out or when the first offers get posted. :P

Archived