Premed 101 Forums

New Calgary Med's IP requirements

All Ian Walker said was that they might change the residency requirements, but that they will try not to pull the rug out from under anyone's feet this year (or something to that effect). So it sounds like we're safe for the 2014/15 cycle.

All Ian Walker said was that they might change the residency requirements, but that they will try not to pull the rug out from under anyone's feet this year (or something to that effect). So it sounds like we're safe for the 2014/15 cycle.

From what I've heard they are changing the requirements as they are considering it. And I read somewhere on this forum that someone called them up to ask if it would be effective immediately and the person said yes. I'm hoping they don't change the requirements but if they intended to have no change, they wouldn't have bothered to make any announcements this year... so chances are they'll probably be changing it hence why I am asking these questions.

I'll just post my sources for posterity's sake:

“IF we make changes, not to 'pull the rug out' from under potential applicants."

This doesn't mean that current applicant won't be effected by the new requirements. I think you are misinterpreting what he is trying to say. He is trying to say these changes are not made to disqualify potential applicants, they have different intentions.

“IF we make changes, not to 'pull the rug out' from under potential applicants."

This doesn't mean that current applicant won't be effected by the new requirements. I think you are misinterpreting what he is trying to say. He is trying to say these changes are not made to disqualify potential applicants, they have different intentions.

Perhaps...

I'll just post my sources for posterity's sake:

The statements you quoted are so open ended it's not even funny. Hence you should take them with a large grain of Himalayan sea salt. Take for example Dr. Walker's musings last year that they'd allow a 1-year grace period for the "old" MCAT. Then they later decided not to accept the 2014 MCAT in 2015. Oops, so much for the 1 year grace period.

Calgary's IP requirements are among the loosest of any school that makes an IP/OOP distinction. You could move to the province in August this year and apply as an IP since you would have been a resident for 12 months by the time you start classes.

They had 200 more IP applicants this year than last year. If I had to bet money I'd say they're going to tighten up the IP requirements and by definition, some people who would have been eligible as IPs last year won't be this year. There's no way to cut down the pool without "pulling out the rug" from some people.

The statements you quoted are so open ended it's not even funny. Hence you should take them with a large grain of Himalayan sea salt. Take for example Dr. Walker's musings last year that they'd allow a 1-year grace period for the "old" MCAT. Then they later decided not to accept the 2014 MCAT in 2015. Oops, so much for the 1 year grace period.

Calgary's IP requirements are among the loosest of any school that makes an IP/OOP distinction. You could move to the province in August this year and apply as an IP since you would have been a resident for 12 months by the time you start classes.

They had 200 more IP applicants this year than last year. If I had to bet money I'd say they're going to tighten up the IP requirements and by definition, some people who would have been eligible as IPs last year won't be this year. There's no way to cut down the pool without "pulling out the rug" from some people.

Actually that's incorrect. UBC has the loosest IP requirements without a doubt. For UBC all you need is the care card which you can get for staying in UBC for 7 months or so before your application. Also with UBC, once you leave the province you're still consider IP unlike Alberta where you lose the IP. I have no idea why more people are choosing Alberta vs UBC especially since Alberta is changing their IP requirements to probably more stricter terms. o.O

Actually that's incorrect. UBC has the loosest IP requirements without a doubt. For UBC all you need is the care card which you can get for staying in UBC for 7 months or so before your application. Also with UBC, once you leave the province you're still consider IP unlike Alberta where you lose the IP. I have no idea why more people are choosing Alberta vs UBC especially since Alberta is changing their IP requirements to probably more stricter terms. o.O

Even with UBC's recent changes to their IP requirements, Calgary's are still easiest to meet or take advantage of. Reapplicants who find out in May that they didn't get accepted still have a couple months to move to be IP for UofA/UofC that same year, whereas with UBC it's likely too late. Also, UofC has a variety of criteria you can meet to be IP, e.g. high school in alberta, that last even when you leave the province forever.

Even with UBC's recent changes to their IP requirements, Calgary's are still easiest to meet or take advantage of. Reapplicants who find out in May that they didn't get accepted still have a couple months to move to be IP for UofA/UofC that same year, whereas with UBC it's likely too late. Also, UofC has a variety of criteria you can meet to be IP, e.g. high school in alberta, that last even when you leave the province forever.

Literally in every province outside Ontario if you graduated from high school you will get IP status for their schools (including UBC since you need the care card to see a doctor). You are considered a UBC resident as long as you have the care card which requires you to stay in the province for a couple of months and then you can go wherever you want even back home and you're still considered a UBC resident. Therefore when you move to UBC to obtain IP residency you can be considered IP in multiple provinces, which you CAN'T do for Alberta unless you graduated from high school there (which most of us haven't). Also for Alberta, their schools require you to stay there for 1 year without leaving and once you leave, you lose your status unless you stick around for another year. Oh and if you didn't know... Alberta med schools are changing their IP requirements likely to be more strict, it was officially announced a couple weeks ago.

So I have no idea how you are saying Alberta is easier than UBC when its clear UBC is the easiest and requires a shorter amount of time. Oh and there will be no "re-applicants" unless they want to write the 2015 MCAT, so moving to UBC would be a better choice.

Oh and there will be no "re-applicants" unless they want to write the 2015 MCAT, so moving to UBC would be a better choice.

I'm not debating the rest of your points, but I thought that MCAT 2015 was only going to be required starting in the 2015-2016 cycle? Or is that what you meant?

I'm not debating the rest of your points, but I thought that MCAT 2015 was only going to be required starting in the 2015-2016 cycle? Or is that what you meant?

Yup but you were talking about reapplicants and I was pointing out no one will be a reapplicant starting this cycle for Albertan medical schools unless they want to write the 2015 MCAT, lol :)

I kinda agree with StriveP. moving to alberta is a risk especially since you don't know what u of c's policy is going to be. as well, both alberta schools want you to write the new mcat while ubc, and most (?) ontario schools are allowing transition periods.

also, who knows... u of a might change their policy too after u of c. i do think it's warranted though. getting status in alberta is way too easy, and i think med schools have caught onto that. 4th year IP interviewed gpa this year was 3.87... that's ontario-like, if not higher, stats.

Yup but you were talking about reapplicants and I was pointing out no one will be a reapplicant starting this cycle for Albertan medical schools unless they want to write the 2015 MCAT, lol :)

No med acceptance this upcoming week -> reapplicant. The 2015 scenario is not relevant until a year from now.

And like I said, the one year or high school were only some of the criteria you could meet for Calgary IP. BC high schoolers also lost their IP status if they moved and were covered by their parents anymore, as many BC'ers were complaining about last year.

No med acceptance this upcoming week -> reapplicant. The 2015 scenario is not relevant until a year from now.

And like I said, the one year or high school were only some of the criteria you could meet for Calgary IP. BC high schoolers also lost their IP status if they moved and were covered by their parents anymore, as many BC'ers were complaining about last year.

I'm talking about people moving to another province to claim IP status. BC is a better choice all around because everything i mentioned. Plus their applicants have 50% chance for an interview for just applying.

Archived