Premed 101 Forums

what's your dream car

burrb

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My dream car cannot be bought, only built. :P /tuner

My dp shows my current car which is basically my attainable dream car. Every step above it is more or less superfluousness. But a 997.2 GT3 RS with a stroked 4.1L engine and fully track prepped (but road legal) would be nice in the distant future.....any other super/hyper car will be more for posing.

Also there are always roads to enjoy cars. I know the roads around Vancouver, Toronto, and Montreal. I enjoy the latter 2 regularly. Even around Kingston there are very nice roads.

My dream car cannot be bought, only built. :P /tuner

My dp shows my current car which is basically my attainable dream car. Every step above it is more or less superfluousness. But a 997.2 GT3 RS with a stroked 4.1L engine and fully track prepped (but road legal) would be nice in the distant future.....any other super/hyper car will be more for posing.

Also there are always roads to enjoy cars. I know the roads around Vancouver, Toronto, and Montreal. I enjoy the latter 2 regularly. Even around Kingston there are very nice roads.

Is it the evo or just a lancer/ralliart?

Husband says it looks like the EVO VIII ! :)

UK spec FQ400 probably? I asked him what does FQ mean? He says that stands "F****** Quick" !!! Not sure if I believe him. hehe...

It does, which is why I asked haha. Problem with those cars is the stock base models have the same general body unless you get a really good fully sized photo it's hard to tell. And your husband is a smart man, they are pretty quick, especially for their time. Obviously now a little dated but still amazing machines in my opinion.

Husband says it looks like the EVO VIII ! :)

UK spec FQ400 probably? I asked him what does FQ mean? He says that stands "F****** Quick" !!! Not sure if I believe him. hehe...

Your husband is correct on every account except its not FQ400 spec. Just has FQ400 wheels. And yes it really does mean F***ing Quick. LOL!

Where do you enjoy driving around Vancouver? Only thing I can think of is the Sea to Sky, but there are usually cops everywhere on that...

^depends on how much you are making.

For me once my bf and I are both attendings I'd say <300k is justifiable, given that we both love cars and a beautiful ferrari would make us both very happy.

people say oh it's "just" a car and it's not a good investment. Probably true but you need to do what makes you happy right

Bolded is a good topic: how much do you guys think is a justifiable amount? <100k max? :P

Can't go very far w/ only 100k man... I think at least 180k (if you don't really like cars) or 300k if you love them.

But I do agree that it really dep on your priorities in life (pretty gf, mistresses, travel, designer clothes, big house)

Anyone here fans of the Nissan GTR? Love its exhaust!!!

Can't go very far w/ only 100k man... I think at least 180k (if you don't really like cars) or 300k if you love them.

But I do agree that it really dep on your priorities in life (pretty gf, mistresses, travel, designer clothes, big house)

Love the GTR!

I agree on the 100k a year not doing much once to get into something not for "blue collar workers". A simple truck can cost 60k without anything.

As for the GTR not a fan. I had an older skyline GTR, so to me these are rip offs.

The "its not a good investment" argument does not work 100% of the time. At every level of expenditure there is a car that will not only keep value, but actually appreciate in value. Even down to the $1000 level. I remember when I was in high school I was trying to get a early 90s 240sx. By the time I got the scratch they appreciated from $1000 to over $3000 because of the drift scene....My current car basically held its value from when I bought it 4 years ago. I'm biased but I believe it will start appreciating eventually.

Current cars that are actively appreciating include:

E30 M3 (was $10-15k in mid 2000s, now $30-40k and climbing)

BMW 1 series M ($60k in 2011, now still $60k despite age and mileage, will go up)

E39 M5 (probably at the nadir at 20k ish, will appreciate no doubt)

most older porsche 911s pre996

most ferraris v12 ferraris stay very close to original value.

MkIV supra turbo ($20k at its nadir when fast and furious came out, now 40k+ for a good stock one)

Porsche 911 GT3 RS 4.0 (sold for $150k ish in 2011 brand new, now $250k)

Ford GT ($150k in 2006 if you could ever get it at MSRP, now $250k)

Almost all of the >$500k cars hold value or continue to appreciate. Except lambos, they drop like a stone every day. Used lambos are like sloppy seconds.

The "its not a good investment" argument does not work 100% of the time. At every level of expenditure there is a car that will not only keep value, but actually appreciate in value. Even down to the $1000 level. I remember when I was in high school I was trying to get a early 90s 240sx. By the time I got the scratch they appreciated from $1000 to over $3000 because of the drift scene....My current car basically held its value from when I bought it 4 years ago. I'm biased but I believe it will start appreciating eventually.

Current cars that are actively appreciating include:

E30 M3 (was $10-15k in mid 2000s, now $30-40k and climbing)

BMW 1 series M ($60k in 2011, now still $60k despite age and mileage, will go up)

E39 M5 (probably at the nadir at 20k ish, will appreciate no doubt)

most older porsche 911s pre996

most ferraris v12 ferraris stay very close to original value.

MkIV supra turbo ($20k at its nadir when fast and furious came out, now 40k+ for a good stock one)

Porsche 911 GT3 RS 4.0 (sold for $150k ish in 2011 brand new, now $250k)

Ford GT ($150k in 2006 if you could ever get it at MSRP, now $250k)

Almost all of the >$500k cars hold value or continue to appreciate. Except lambos, they drop like a stone every day. Used lambos are like sloppy seconds.

That all depends who you ask. Some don't mind sloppy seconds. And at the end of the day, if I had a lambo, would you be the one to say "sloppy seconds bro"?

Even if I could afford it, I wouldn't buy it. I would need to have such a ridiculous amount of money that a purchase like that wouldn't even make a dent... which is pretty unrealistic.

It's actually a good attitude to not make silly purchases :)

Realistically would you rather die and pass on much more money than the price of that aventador to your kids (which wouldn't really be teaching them a good lesson about providing their own means) or buy something you've always wanted and can probably easily afford when your in your late 50s/early 60s.

All these cool cars really aren't practical when you're in your 20s-40s. Once you've become an established professional nearing retirement living without kids it's a completely different ball park.

Realistically would you rather die and pass on much more money than the price of that aventador to your kids (which wouldn't really be teaching them a good lesson about providing their own means) or buy something you've always wanted and can probably easily afford when your in your late 50s/early 60s.

All these cool cars really aren't practical when you're in your 20s-40s. Once you've become an established professional nearing retirement living without kids it's a completely different ball park.

Why isnt it practical in your late 30s and into your 40s?

Archived