Premed 101 Forums

Computer for Med School

Best value is in PCs. The same hardware in a Mac is more expensive. You are paying extra for a flashy plastic Apple on the screen for the most part. Mac is all about the brand...

If you get a decent PC for what you would pay for that MacBook and you will have a very solid good value machine. I'm using a Samsung Series 7 Chronos and the build quality is on par with anything Mac makes.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Best value is in PCs. The same hardware in a Mac is more expensive. You are paying extra for a flashy plastic Apple on the screen for the most part. Mac is all about the brand...

Get a decent PC for what you paid for that MacBook and you will have a very solid good value machine. I'm using a Samsung Series 7 Chronos and the build quality is on par with anything Mac makes.

I remember doing the math once - could buy three equally powerful PCs for the price of a mac. Ok so the macs are more reliable - it isn't the same hardware really, mac really are better machines with better quality control - they are just not worth that increase in cost for it. If you buy one you have to accept there is a bit of branding and status going on. That quality is great but if you replace the machine every 2-3 years anyway it doesn't matter if the machine would last for 10 :)

I remember doing the math once - could buy three equally powerful PCs for the price of a mac. Ok so the macs are more reliable - it isn't the same hardware really, mac really are better machines with better quality control - they are just not worth that increase in cost for it. If you buy one you have to accept there is a bit of branding and status going on. That quality is great but if you replace the machine every 2-3 years anyway it doesn't matter if the machine would last for 10 :)

I think that is becoming less and less true. When I bought my Macbook Air, a comparable PC (SSD, similar size) was quite similar in price.

Yes, I could have gotten a much "better" PC with a much bigger form factor for less money, but having a lightweight computer was important to me. If you're just talking about "power" then, yah, I suppose that's true.

It's probably changed now, but it's not always black and white.

I'm not in med school but I've done a fair bit of university and honestly I would recommend a mac. I've had my macbook for 6 years and it runs as fast as the day I got it (and I'm not that careful with it, I download many movies and seasons of shows and have WOW on it). My boyfriend has gone through 3 PCs in this time:p

I'm not in med school but I've done a fair bit of university and honestly I would recommend a mac. I've had my macbook for 6 years and it runs as fast as the day I got it (and I'm not that careful with it, I download many movies and seasons of shows and have WOW on it). My boyfriend has gone through 3 PCs in this time:p

Agreed. I also love having Applecare and the knowledge that if something goes wrong with my computer it'll be fixed quickly and properly (only lasts 3 yrs, but that's about how long I keep my computers before selling them/handing down to family anyways).

Cost is a definite drawback, though. For what I paid for my Macbook I could have gotten 2 similarly spec'd PCs.

I have a PC that old. Same deal. The difference is I know how to use a computer so I don't **** mine up.

Ironically, the only program that ever gives me trouble is iTunes. I hate that POS.

Macs are great for the average user because everything is so locked down, it's hard for your average idiot to screw it up. But if you want beyond the minimal degree of flexibility in the system, a Mac is a terrible choice.

I have a PC that old. Same deal. The difference is I know how to use a computer so I don't **** mine up.

Ironically, the only program that ever gives me trouble is iTunes. I hate that POS.

Macs are great for the average user because everything is so locked down, it's hard for your average idiot to screw it up. But if you want beyond the minimal degree of flexibility in the system, a Mac is a terrible choice.

ok I actually laughed when I read this but I do have to agree. There is nothing anyone can do on a mac that I cannot do on a PC - including all that mac OS stuff they throw around. People have built PC software to do the same thing.

I do like the instant drop into unix on a mac I will say. The entire thing is just built on top of an OS that is stable.

As others have said, get what you are most comfortable with. You can get amazing windows ultrabooks with great battery life and some are lighter than the MacBook air and most have much better screens.

The 'stability' issue in windows is not really an issue since windows 7 (i.e. after that Vista crap disappeared). I have used various Macs at one of my jobs for thee last 6 years (some older, some brand new) and they are often slow as molasses and crash all the time due to how they are used (i.e.by many different people). The hardware inside an Apple PC is the same as any other - i.e. still made by Intel, Samsung, Toshiba, etc, etc and assembled by a huge Chinese OEM (Foxconn, Quanta, etc used by all the big electronics makers). Apple just restricts compatibility so they are more locked down.

People tend to buy $450 PC specials from BB and then complain 2 years later when it is slow and outdated and somehow come to the conclusion that Apple PCs must be better. Spend the same amount on a nice windows PC as a MBP or Air and you will get just as quality of a machine with a much more compatible OS.

As for Applecare - I don't understand that argument because you just pay for it. I have an on-site 4 year next-day comprehensive plan on my ThinkPad that even covers accidental issues like water, dropping, etc - this is not a 'pro' of the company since all the big PC makers offer great warranties if you are willing to pay for it.

TL;DR - get a computer that is the right size/battery life/etc within your budget with an OS that you will be comfortable with and who cares what brand it is.

As others have said, get what you are most comfortable with. You can get amazing windows ultrabooks with great battery life and some are lighter than the MacBook air and most have much better screens.

The 'stability' issue in windows is not really an issue since windows 7 (i.e. after that Vista crap disappeared).

Vista was a dream compared to Windows ME.

I admit it - when it comes to computers and tablets and things - I am your average idiot. I like Apple because it works out of the box and it's mostly idiot proof.

Haha me too. I know that I could get a technically better PC for the money I spent on my MBA, but honestly I don't care. My personal user experience is way better with my Mac than it ever was with a PC (and I didn't buy cheap PCs). Maybe I drank the Koolaid, but honestly that doesn't bother me. If I have a device that makes my life better, and I could afford to buy it, that's all I care about. :)

I really don't get all the hate (in both directions). My boyfriend used to work at the Apple Store (so we're pretty much an exclusively Apple household), and people would come in and essentially try to pick fights with him over Mac vs. PC (or iPhone vs Android). So silly, haha. Can't we all just get along? :)

I am quite seriously considering the new Surface Pro 3 (will read reviews/try it out once it comes out) because if it really is what it purports to be, i.e. a laptop+tablet solution, then it's already way lighter than the competition at 800 grams, has 9h battery life and a pretty great on-screen writing experience judging from SP2.

Any thoughts on it though?

I am quite seriously considering the new Surface Pro 3 (will read reviews/try it out once it comes out) because if it really is what it purports to be, i.e. a laptop+tablet solution, then it's already way lighter than the competition at 800 grams, has 9h battery life and a pretty great on-screen writing experience judging from SP2.

I am also considering this, unfortunately my 6 year old laptop and netbook have both decided to die at the same time. I would like a tablet for this summer/next year, so I was thinking the Surface might be a good mix and I wouldn't have to spend money on both. Anyone have good/bad experiences?

Surface pro 3 seems like a great choice. Personally I think I'd rather a separate tablet for taking notes and a dedicated laptop (this the the setup I have), but a surface pro 3 alone is a great stand-in.

I took all my notes first year using OneNote 2013 on a windows 8.1 tablet with digitizer pen. It's amazing - everything is saved automatically, an entire year's worth of notes all in one place, that syncs to the cloud, syncs to my desktop and my Android phone (so I can study anywhere) and is completely searchable.

That 800g weight is really drawing me to the Surface Pro 3... Even my macbook air weighs 1.4kg..

That 800g weight is really drawing me to the Surface Pro 3... Even my macbook air weighs 1.4kg..

I'm pretty sure that's 800 grams without the keyboard. Plus in a backpack you probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the two.

How light before it just doesn't matter?

Yeah, I'd say, don't buy it for the weight, I just added that in for people who care. The real reason to get this thing would be the stylus feature (and it really is top of the line for that). If you are more comfortable with keyboards, SP3 probably won't satisfy you because the keyboard is still subpar compared with something like MB Air. Specs on both are equivalent for the price, and Apple has better warranty's and I personally find windows more versatile. Those would be some things to consider too.

Yeah, I'd say, don't buy it for the weight, I just added that in for people who care. The real reason to get this thing would be the stylus feature (and it really is top of the line for that). If you are more comfortable with keyboards, SP3 probably won't satisfy you because the keyboard is still subpar compared with something like MB Air. Specs on both are equivalent for the price, and Apple has better warranty's and I personally find windows more versatile. Those would be some things to consider too.

absolutely - I just chuckle when I hear year after year about the same devices getting lighter and lighter etc to the point way beyond the point that I would care. I am an average human being - I can move laptops all less than 5 pounds equally without serious limitations and all the ipad/surfaces are the same really to me. At some point it sounds like pure marketing nonsense :)

Lugging around a 5 lb laptop along with the charging brick was pretty awful in undergrad when I was commuting. At least now the commute is way less than an hour and most of the time is spent driving. I'll probably opt for power over weight.

Lugging around a 5 lb laptop along with the charging brick was pretty awful in undergrad when I was commuting. At least now the commute is way less than an hour and most of the time is spent driving. I'll probably opt for power over weight.

5+ lb laptops unite!

Archived