Premed 101 Forums

USA med to Canadian med

Hi there

A friend of mine was accepted to the states for med school (Penn State). He grew up in Canada and did his undergrad here as well, but unfortunately didnt get into a Canadian med school, although his marks and MCAT are great

He is wondering, if he accepts Penn state, can he reapply to canadian medical schools while he is there (ie while in his first year of med school in the states).

Thanks!

Hi there

A friend of mine was accepted to the states for med school (Penn State). He grew up in Canada and did his undergrad here as well, but unfortunately didnt get into a Canadian med school, although his marks and MCAT are great

He is wondering, if he accepts Penn state, can he reapply to canadian medical schools while he is there (ie while in his first year of med school in the states).

Thanks!

I know someone who did that and is currently enrolled in medical school. Your friend would probably have to repeat first year again if accepted, like this person did.

Penn State is a excellent school.

Once your friend does frist year, and realizes he'd have to repeat pre-clinicals they will likely just end up staying. Losing 1 year isn't so bad, if they apply and get in this upcoming cycle. Losing 2 years, when you're ready to start clinicals and already at Step 1 will be a huge decision.

There's no transfers allowed, but he can reapply to start as a first year student like everyone else. I wonder if it helps your app, since I know lots of people who studied in the US, Australia, Ireland and other foreign schools who got accepted after reapplying.

Hi there

Thanks!

Yes he can re-apply to Canadian medical schools. He will have to repeat his 1st year, without a doubt, which isn't ideal. There are no opportunities for transfers.

In my opinion, he's better off at Penn State (excellent school), if he has the means to pull it off (expensive school). He can still apply to CaRMS when looking for residency positions in 4th year. Your friend will be treated the same as a Canadian Medical Graduate if he applies to CaRMS, as he is a Canadian citizen.

His perspective might change while dedicating all that effort to training in the US. A lot of Canadians choose to stay down there after completing medical school and/or residency (better job market for most subspecialties, offered competitive residency position, significant others, more accustomed to practising in the US, lucrative salary, etc).

He might save 100k-150k by going to a canadian school vs. US but he wastes a year in which he would make much more later in practice. Canadian USMGs I hear are also treated as CMGs in round 1 of carms. If that's confirmed, he's better off in the states. The exception is if he gets into a 3-year program in Canada.

Archived